Bear

The big TV-series discussion thread

glad to see suits back.

anyone watched mr robot? i generally enjoy usa network shows , but they are always rather lightly and nothing really special (covert affairs, white collar for example)

mr robot surprised me. its really well done and i hope it keeps the quality.

Finished Derek's special which was very good. Kev's wedding speech was a masterpiece. It was too fun! Shame we won't get no more Derek, though. I'd love to see some more.

almost finished 2nd season of The Wire and loved it so far. it is quite original series with good old jokes here and there. some people might say it has a slow pace but i actually dont mind that. this, along with True Detective and Fargo, is kind of detective series which are really well done and always deliver (though, each of these is unique in its own way).

The Wire is the best series ever made, and I don't think anyone will make anything better during my years on earth. Some people will come rather close (True Detective, season 1), but I doubt there'll be five seasons of True Detective holding as high quality as The Wire did. It's close to impossible.

During my ~week long vacation I finished Elementary, 2 Broke Girls and Orange is the New Black. (+ Grace and Frankie, it was suprisingly enjoyble!)

Now I started watching Sense8. Anyone else? BECAUSE HOLY FUCK. O________________________________O

just finished The Wire. what a show! damn, i never thought i'll ever get hooked up on some detective series. and in this case, "detective" doesn't mean godawfuly boring CSI-like stuff but really good police drama series with well thorough plot and perfectly fitting characters. seriously, everyone should at least give it a try. but don't blame me if you'll end up spending your whole free time watching it :р

I thought Wire got even better with further viewings. There's really so much going on all the time that it's nearly impossible to actually digest it all at first and it's fun seeing all of that shit again with the new perspective. 

It's my favorite show of all time and nothing else comes even close. 

Seen The Wire six times, and it still keeps getting better. The Wire is mandatory for anyone with an interest in TV-series. Doesn't matter if you like the series or not, but if you like TV-series, or films for that matter, you should at least have watched through it once. It's mandatory. Simple as that.

despite there were few things now and there i didn't like about the series but, imho, it's really amazing how they always managed to stick to all the minor/major details from all the previous seasons, like they've filmed everything at once and were just throwing episodes to people. there are very few shows that can brag about it. gosh, even GoT and BB had some inconsistencies.

Finished Wet Hot American Summer and thought it was alright. It's not amazing, but it's fun enough and way better than the shite film it's a sequel to. The entire seies got more purpose and it just doesn't try o had to be a cult-series, which helps a lot. 6,5-ish/10

watched Mr. Robot recently and can't say i enjoyed it. but since i haven't dropped it, i might say it was more or less okay? in any case with each episode it was getting worse and worse. most of characters were annoying and "unexpected plot twist" could only appreciate brainless retards, who weren't able to foresee it in the first episode. not sure if i'll give a try to second season.

on the other hand, Narcos was a brilliant shit by all means. despite few not-very-significant things i didn't like about it, i can say with confidence that this is the best series of 2015 so far. "so far" because i have yet to face new season of Fargo. and i really hope it won't be ruined as it was with 2nd season of True Detective.

Started on Scream and two episodes in I'm almost provoked by how bad it is. So far it's 90% Gossip Girl, 5% Vampire Diaies and 5% Scream. The characters are too dumb, even for something based on a slasher, they are annoying and they feel so artificial. And this is topped with poor performances from the actors. And the mask looks awful. Looks like a cheap copy ade by some kids.

Way too early to judge it completely, but there's nothing here that makes me think of Scream. It's pretty embarrassing to be honest. I feel sorry for every single human being who enjoy this shit.

I'm planning on it. Should be way better than Screa at least. Is it a more mature series, or is it aimed more towards teens? Scream comes off as a mystery-drama for older teenage girls.

But that does't mean it can't be mature. Tucker and Evil vs. Evil, Braindead or even Monthy Pyton are all mature films/shows, even though they're silly and over the top as fuck. But Scream is like Gossip Girl gone mystery-thriller. It's "horror" for people who simply don't enjoy horror. It's so obvious that it's not aimed towards Scream fans, or horror fans in general. It's aimed towards mostly female teenagers, and fans of things like Gossip Girl, Twilight, Vampire Diaries and so on. It's serious, but still not very mature in any way.

And I hope Scream Queens is something completely different than that. I truly do. I don't mind childish and silly as long as it's mature in a way. As a fan of horror comedies I am sure you know what I mean even thouh it's hard to explain.

^ Yeah, I think I understand what you're getting at. Can't really comment on those other non-horror shows you listed tho, I don't watch any of them. Just don't go into watching Scream Queens expecting full-on horror - it's more like a more self-aware and fun-poking AHS for a young-adult audience imo. At times it almost feels like watching a cartoon, haha.

Finished Narcos today, and I am really satisfied. A very good crime-drama with some excellent perforances, a good story and lots of tension and action. I really liked the inclusion of archival footage. It's like the icing on the top of the cake. Highly recommended. Looking forward to a new season for sure.

finished 2 seasons of The Fall earlier this week and was more or less okay with what i've got there. i really need some more psychological shite like this tbh. kinda reminded me of The Silence of the Lambs a little. and the music is really good and moody.

10 episodes of Heroes Reborn were pretty much as i've expected them to be: generic and forgettable, with a few annoying characters and utterly useless pathos. but still it's not that bad, maybe even better than 4th season of the original Heroes series.

7 episodes of 5th Homeland season proved to be way better than previous season was, so i'm going to finish this season and wont drop it, as i originally planned to. 

also watched 3 episodes of Fargo's new season. well, i was ready that it wont be as awesome as first season was, but it exceeded my expectations in a way that this season is still great and it has that one special Fargo's hue, which makes the show unique and awesome. still, 1st season > movie > 2nd season.

Started on Jessica Jones late last night, and I'm four episodes in so far. Shit, it's so good, man, and so far I prefer it to Daredevil which I thouht was excellent. It gives you a lot more to chew on, dealer with a much darker side of the superhero universe. Krysten Ritter strong, hurting performance combined with an intriguing villain, a dark and bleak noir-atmosphere and rather unusual themes like rape and trauma makes this into something quite different. So yeah, so far, so fucking good!

You shouldn't go in expecting a new Daredevil, though, because this is something very different. But if you liked Daredevil I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to enjoy this. Will try to finish it after I get home from work. I can't wait!

I've just started watching Into the Badlands yesterday. Gotta catch up on those first two episodes now! What I saw was really promising and apparently it's based off an animated novel? If that's so I might have to scoop that once the current season is over.

I started watching the first season of True Detective at the beginning of November, now that it's December I'm somehow still not finished. Why do I always take series so fucking slow? It's only 8 episodes too, god damn it, and I only have 2 episodes left to go. Maybe I just don't want it to end.. :^)

True Detective season 1 is up there with the very, very best ever created for TV- Superb in every single way!

Funny you should mention True Detective as I started my first rewatch of the very underrated season 2 yesterday. It's not up there with the first seaosn, but that was not to be expected and I see no reason to compare it to the first season either as that will only leave you disappointed. Sure it's a part of the True Detective series, and it's written by Nic Pizzolatto, but that's all they got in common. Season 1 was more about atmoshere, darkness and mystisicm while this is a purer police drama/crime series, more about the crime aspect and less about the atmosphere. I'm also sure it got a lot of crap because of Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughn, and especially Vaughn. I don't get why, though, as both are great actors when they choose the right roles. Give them a good script and both are phenomenal.

Vaughn is an unusual casting, so I could see why people was a bit sceptic about him. But Matthew McConaughey was just as much an unusual casting as Vaughn, but I didn't see people complain too much about that. Probably because they didn't know what to expect at all. But he pulled it off, and so does Vaughn.

Finished Jessica Jones too. I'd say while it started off better than Daredevil, it ultimately ended on the same level. After the 5-6 first episodes, the dark noir-influence seemed to slowly go away, and that was what made it better for me. But it's on par with Daredevil, and I thought it was most excellent to be honest. Just really cool, and Krysten Ritter and David Tennant are both phenomenal!

Also, I have seena  lot of complaint about the series, and most of them complaina bout the lack of good male characters. I bet my ass these cunts are the same who enjoyed the first season of True Detective, despite its lack of good, female characters. Heh! It's bullshit alright.

Finished True Detective season 2 again, and I still like it a lot. OK, so it's not the perfect 10 like the first season, but a good 8 for sure IMO. Biggest problem is that it's a bit too complicated for 8 episodes. With all these characters and shit, it should've been twice as long. But it's very good for what it is. 8/10.

Started on Terriers yesterday. Two eisodes in and it's really good so far.