Bear

The big TV-series discussion thread

Last season of OITNB is bleak. I'm 5 episodes in and I'm actually finding it hard to watch, not because it's bad, but because it's so fucking depressing.

God I LOVE "Derry Girls". This second season didn't even have the first one problems, the writing was better and more consistent (First season started Great, dipped into boring and repetitive pretty early then returned good around the last 2 episodes).

I wish it was around when I was a teen. As caricaturey the characters are, they are more genuine and realistic as teens portrait as the 30 years olds glamourous ones they sell you in US teen serials (like the one cited a few post above), I never liked teen dramas even when I was a teen.

Next stop: season 2 of Mindhunters

Edited by Arkady

Started and finished Netflix' new martial arts fantasy series Wu Assassins with Iko Uwais (among others) this weekend. Could've been better, but I liked it quite a lot anyway. Really happy that they got several actors who could fight so they didn't have to cut every single fight to death. But I would've really enjoyed less CGI and way, way, way more fantasy elements. But hoping for a second season for sure. 7/10

Iko Uwais are bloody magnificent in everything he does. Shame western directors rarely do him and his insane skills justice.

Finished GLOW season 3 the other day. Technically the best season so far, but it's less GLOW, less wrestling and more drama. It's really good, but not nearly as good as the previous seasons. 8/10

27 minutes ago, Bear said:

Mindhunter season 2 was insanely good. Even better than the first season. Must see!

Would I say that it was better, idk, but it was definitely worth watching! 

No contest, Mindhunter S02 was truly awesome. Bit different from S01 but in a good way. I hope we won't have to wait so long for the next season (but even if we have to, I don't mind as long as they keep this quality).

1 minute ago, Jigsaw9 said:

No contest, Mindhunter S02 was truly awesome. Bit different from S01 but in a good way. I hope we won't have to wait so long for the next season (but even if we have to, I don't mind as long as they keep this quality).

Do you know if the next season is confirmed tho? They seemed pretty confident judging by the ending, but you never know with Netflix~ 

I'm pretty sure we'll get at least one more season, by the creators of the show are keen to do theee more. And as long as the series is a success I don't see why they wouldn't.

I've been going through Anna Torv's filmography pretty much, so after Secret City and Mindhunter I'm now watching Fringe and man, as a big X Files fan I really want to like it but I'm almost done with the 1st season and tbh I'm not wowed. 

5 hours ago, spockitty said:

I've been going through Anna Torv's filmography pretty much, so after Secret City and Mindhunter I'm now watching Fringe and man, as a big X Files fan I really want to like it but I'm almost done with the 1st season and tbh I'm not wowed. 

oh boy, does Fringe get better after the first season

5 minutes ago, spockitty said:

well then, there's hope yet! thanks~ :D 

once they let go of the procedural, villain-of-the-week aspect of the show it gets a lot better!

3 minutes ago, Bear said:

If you're a big X-Files fan you need to watch Millennium asap.  It was created by Chris Carter who created X-Files. Very good series.

Ooooh, how come I've never heard of it?! Thanks! I'll get right on that after I'm done with Fringe.

A bit surprised actually. Appeared in a crossover episode with X-Files in season 7 by X-Files. There's also a Millennium comic book that features Millennium's Frank Black and X-Files' Fox Mulder. Supposed to be really damn good, but I haven't read it yet.

8 hours ago, spockitty said:

1 hour ago, saishuu said:

once they let go of the procedural, villain-of-the-week aspect of the show it gets a lot better!

Hmm...A good brother I know has been talking about this show a lot recently, and now I come here and see you two talking about it. I've never heard of it because I don't watch much of anything these days, but I may have to check it out now.

The Haunting of Hill House - Rich, deep and complex horror series that's as much about horror as drama, and digs deep into loads and loads of different subjects, and does it really well. The storytelling is top notch, the character development is excellent, the cinematography and overall visual style and so on. Man, beautiful! I love how it's all put together. It jumps back and forth and back and even further back and a bit forth and so on throughout and it's beautifully done. So well-crafted and awesome. Amazing series!

Really happy to see that there will be a season 2, albeit not a sequel. But as an anthology. Can't wait!

On 8/31/2019 at 6:15 PM, Bear said:

A bit surprised actually. Appeared in a crossover episode with X-Files in season 7 by X-Files. 

I see now that it has, I had no idea it was crossover at the time, I mean, I only rewatched the series two times not counting the original airing :P 

On 8/31/2019 at 6:29 PM, CAT5 said:

Hmm...A good brother I know has been talking about this show a lot recently, and now I come here and see you two talking about it. I've never heard of it because I don't watch much of anything these days, but I may have to check it out now.

I can confirm that yes, it gets better in season two! ^^ the science-fiction is less cheesy and dare I say, more believable, and it's overall more engaging, so just, wade through the first one I guess~