Bear

The big TV-series discussion thread

Watched American Horror Story: 1984 as I am working from home (aka spending about 3 hours on block programming daily. Ehe). As a sucker for 80's pop culture and especially slashers and horror movies in general this was a must watch for me, despite not having seen anything since season 1. And this sure as hell did not disappoint. Cheesy, over the top, silly and familiar, but with a bit of a twist on the traditional slasher genre with a few really cool and obvious homages to movies like Halloween, Friday the 13th, Carrie, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Heathers, Ghostbusters and Sleepaway Camp. But I wish there was even more homages to slashers from the 80's. But overall this was totally fucking awesome!

I kinda started wondering if there was any other seasons worth seeing in the series. I doubt it, but after this I might have to give it a new go.

7 minutes ago, Bear said:

I kinda started wondering if there was any other seasons worth seeing in the series. I doubt it, but after this I might have to give it a new go.

My favorite was always season 2 (Asylum), which really went totally over-the-top imo. Season 3 (Coven) is fun in a campy way, but barely any horror.

After those, I always just started watching some seasons and then quickly got bored or disinterested, so I can't vouch for the other ones.

9 hours ago, Bear said:

Aight. What did you think of 1984?

Haven't seen it yet, I'm tired of always being disappointed after a handful of episodes, haha. But I might give it a try due to the '80s slasher angle.

Watching Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem and Madness and this is quite something. There's been a lot of fantastic true crime over the past years, but this shit takes the cake. It's hard to believe a story like this, but at the same time it's so wild and absurd that it's impossible to believe it's fiction. No man can write anything like this. That shit is impossible. Amazing stuff.

Finished Tiger King and it was amazing. Best True Crime series so far. The people involved in all of this? Holy fuck! How can they all be real? Not only Joe Exotic, but Carole, Jeff,  Doc Antle, Tim, Allen and more. How the hell are these real life human beings? Fuckin' hell, this shit is crazy. Amazing docu-series.

Stan Against Evil season I & II - I was devastated when Ash vs Evil Dead was cancelled and have been wanting someone to pick it up, make a sequel movie or just some fucking comics based on what was supposed to become the fourth season, but that shit haven't happened yet. But I am still hoping. In the meantime I found this little gem. I'm tempted to call this an cheap man's Ash vs Evil Dead, or just an Ash vs Evil Dead light, because that's what it is. But it's a lighthearted, fun, monster of the week horror-comedy with a brilliant John C. McGinley in the lead as Stan. It's not quite Ash vs Evil Dead, but as that is one of my all time favourite series I did not expect that either. But each season consists of eight 20 minutes long episodes of cheesy fun. The biggest drawback is the special effects. At times brilliant, practical fun, but at other times awful CGI is used. But it's fun. Really liking this. Gonna watch season 3 as soon as I got all episodes.

While reading about it I came across Todd and the Book of Pure Evil, and several people said this was even closer to Todd than Ash. So when I finish this I'm gonna watch Todd for sure. Looks kinda neat.

Finished Stan Against Evil season 3 and thought it was pretty damn good. It's a different season than the two first, and gone are most of the Ash vs Evil Dead elements. Instead of goes into the land of parody and homage, and I'd say that X-Files and Kaiju (Mothra, King Kong etc) are the most obvious ones. But it's a shame that it got cancelled after this, because this is where it really found its own thing. But overall a really good series.

Started on Todd and the Book of Pure Evil and loving it so far. Absolutely hilarious, and with some pretty cool special effects and shit. Looks like this might be something for fans of Deathgasm. Loads of similarities in both the tone of horror and comedy. Something for you @Jigsaw9 ?? I am laughing my ass off at this shit. Awesome!

Edited by Bear

@Bear Thanks for the recommendation! Truth be told, I haven't even finished Ash vs Evil Dead back in the day, so I'm way far behind, lol...

But while we're on the subject of (horror) comedies: next Wednesday marks the start of the 2nd season of What We Do in the Shadows! Can't wait!

On 4/10/2020 at 10:20 AM, Jigsaw9 said:

@Bear Thanks for the recommendation! Truth be told, I haven't even finished Ash vs Evil Dead back in the day, so I'm way far behind, lol...

That is shocking, mate. Easily one of the best series ever made, and it really does capture the feeling of the original movies (especially Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness). First season is fun, but feels a bit off. But it's basically just there to put the characters in place and to bring good old Ash back. From season two onward it's just horror-comedy perfection. And the special effects gets way, way better as the series progress as they use more and more practical effects from season 2.

Season 1 - 8/10

Season 2 - 10/10

Season 3 - 10/10

This series is must watch for fans of Evil Dead, Bruce Campbell and horror-comedies.

Todd and the Book of Pure Evil - This is basically Deathgasm meets Ash vs Evil Dead meets Superbad meets Cheech and Chong meets Buffy. That's a fair comparison IMO. This is easily one of the funniest TV-shows I've ever seen. Absurd and over the top, crude, kinda childish, loads and loads of creativity and plenty awesome special effects. It's just really fucking awesome, and exactly what a "mainstream" horror-comedy should look like. Amazing!

Shame about the cancellation, and although it did get a finish with an animated movie it still sucks. I'm gonna watch the animated movie of course, but I'd rather have a live-action movie tbh. Lovely characters and actors.

Watched Todd and the Book of Pure Evil: The End of the End which is an animated movie meant to end the whole saga of Todd and the Book of Pure evil as the show was cancelled after just two seasons. SO they took a lot of the ideas for season 3 and 4 and made it into a movie, and because of that this feels a lot like a four episode long feature...which is what it is. Thought this was really good, really funny and really absurd. Incredibly likable stuff. Thumbs up for a fine ending.

Black Dynamite  - The series sequel to the modern classic that is Black Dynamite, starring martial artist and action actor Michael Jai White. This follows the movie very close in tone and subjects, with the main cast replacing their roles from the movie. This is fucking incredible! They make fun of black people and black culture, white people and white culture, asian people and asian culture etc. etc. etc. There's not limit . They fuck with everything and everyone, and it's a god damned pleasure. Both seasons are absolutely genius through. Hilarious as fuck!

Narcos: Mexico, season 2  - Finally finished this. Took me a long time tbh. Not because it was bad, but because it wasn't nearly as good as the first season, and it felt a bit more complex, and much deeper rooted in drama than crime. It just lacked something. And it sucks that Pablo Acosta, the best, most interesting, funniest and most likable character in the season didn't get more screentime than he did. Fantastic character which was insanely well acted by Gerardo Taracena. That an Oscar worthy performance. Insanely good, guys!

So season 1: 9/10

Season 2: 6,5/10

The SO and I have begun watching The Last Kingdom, and we're really enjoying it. I know it started on BBC, but as we're in the beginning of the second season and still watching what BBC have produced and not yet Netflix. The character of Ubba is very well done and the character of Skorpa is straight out of hell and it's a shame that he wasn't in it for longer, but he's really cool. I highly recommend this series and am binging it as we speak.

On 3/31/2020 at 11:40 AM, Bear said:

Finished Tiger King and it was amazing. Best True Crime series so far. The people involved in all of this? Holy fuck! How can they all be real? Not only Joe Exotic, but Carole, Jeff,  Doc Antle, Tim, Allen and more. How the hell are these real life human beings? Fuckin' hell, this shit is crazy. Amazing docu-series.

That was a hell of a documentary and I have measured anticipation for the series they're producing with Nick Cage as Joe Exotic.

I started watching Barry on the recommendation of my roommate. Starring Bill Hader, the narrative follows Barry, an assassin that decides to take up acting when he finds one of his hits is taking an acting class taught by Henry Winkler. The premise is ridiculous, but it works and is far more real than it is funny. The acting is on-point and the show legitimately made me laugh, cry, and wince in fear. There's a lot to be said about PTSD from war veterans as well as some of the unethical methods in acting. Tons of trigger warnings, though. Still, I highly recommend it and I've only just finished the first season.

Finally started Euphoria (yeah I know I'm behind, I think I just forgot about this series existing). Shit's wild. But just as good as expected, so far at least (I'm halfway through currently).

Finished all of Brooklyn Nine-Nine earlier this week, what a fun show! And now I've started re-watching one of my favorites of all time, Parks & Recreation. ♥

4 hours ago, Jigsaw9 said:

Finished all of Brooklyn Nine-Nine earlier this week, what a fun show! And now I've started re-watching one of my favorites of all time, Parks & Recreation. ♥

Yes, it's fantastic. Gonna watch season 7 as soon as I'm done with Dark and Wolf Creek season 2.

Anyone seen Deadwax on Shudder? Looks really cool, and the concept sounds fantastic:

A mind-bending neo-noir set in the obsessive world of vinyl collecting. Etta Pryce, a vinyl tracker, is hired by a rich collector to hunt a legendary rare record that has driven its owners mad and killed anyone that has dared to play it.

Sounds a bit similar to Cigarette Burns and Fury of the Demon, two movies/episodes I really love. Gotta get my hand onto this.

Just finished Dark season 3, and what a way to end a series. How fucking well written and put together was this show? It's so complex, but yet so incredibly easy to follow. Gorgeous ending too. Absolutely brilliant series from start to finish. 9,5/10

On 7/3/2020 at 9:16 PM, Bear said:

Just finished Dark season 3, and what a way to end a series. How fucking well written and put together was this show? It's so complex, but yet so incredibly easy to follow. Gorgeous ending too. Absolutely brilliant series from start to finish. 9,5/10

i was sceptical about season 3 ever since the ending of season 2. paralell worlds is a complex thing and it's almost impossible to handle it gracefully. but watching 3rd season i thought "holy shit, they might actually manage to make it work". well, that was until i saw the last episode. it ruined the whole concept of the series to me. but seeing that pretty much everyone else loves the finale, i guess the creators made the right decision ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

regardless of the finale, this show is the best thing that ever happened to netflix and one of my top 5 series of all time. everyone should watch it because it's simply brilliant.

My bf and I have been watching the new Unsolved Mysteries on Netflix. I think the one that disturbed me most is Patrice's case.

Finished Wolf Creek season 2 and was very much surprised at the direction they went for. In a positive way that is. It's a very, very different season than the first, and the overall style is different, but with the same atmosphere and stuff. But it's very different, and very good. I absolute recommend this to fans of backwoods horror movies. Shame in was cancelled, because it kinda does end with a cliffhanger. Looking forward to Wolf Creek 3 which is in production as far as I know.

I also just finished Brooklyn Nine Nine season 7.  This has to be the funniest and most consistent comedy series of all time. 7 seasons of pure gold, and not a single bad or boring episode. Shame it was only 13 episodes, but all 13 was amazing. Top, top notch!

Started watching Giri/Haji on Netflix today, and I'm already halfway through (well it's only 8 eps)... it sucked me in, haha. Really cool British thriller/drama, with an exciting adventure zigzagging between Tokyo and London, involving the yakuza, hitmen, long-lost siblings and an assortment of colorful characters. Like I said, I haven't finished it yet, but I can already wholeheartedly recommend it. Good stuff.