Bear

The big TV-series discussion thread

Anyone seen Slasher yet? From the little I've read and seen it kinda looks like an actual horror series, and it seems to be a bit more mature than other "horror" series out there. I think it might have a more classic horror-feeling to it than other series. I really hope I am right about this show. Will start on it as soon as I've finished a few others that I am watching at the moment.

I am also very interested in the british mini-series Stag. From what I've read it's a 3 episode black comedy/slasher, which sounds great. Seems a lot of people are comparing it to The Cabin in the Woods, wich sounds neat. Will have to try this out also.

Currently watching:

A Very Secret Service

French spy-parody in the vein of OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies and OSS 117: Lost in Rio, albeit not quite as corny. Nor as good. But it's still very funny. Written by the same guy who did the OSS 117 films, so if you liked those I'd recommend this for sure.

Ninja the Mission Force

I've had a long break now because I haven't been able to find episode 8 anywhere, but I've decided to just move along without it. It sucks, but that's life. Anyway, this series is one big, fat tribute/homage/parody of cut-and-paste master Godfrey Ho. So much fun!

Danger 5

Super campy and bizarre action-comedy that's so over the top, silly and stupid. But this shit is hilarious. But I believe most people will have to get drunk or high to enjoy stuff like this. But if you like camp, then there's no reason not to check out this golden series.

These gifs tells you everything you need to know about Danger 5:

4-Imgur.gif

2BGo9rq.gif

Im addicted to Steven Universe, the new episodes have been rather intense. Rebecca Sugar is amazing, cant wait for Back to The Moon tonight!

Man the Netflix MCU is so good, I can't believe they are actually doing series like Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage... this one looks to be the best yet. I can't wait to see what they'll be able to do with Iron Fist and the Punisher next.

Watched Stranger Things this week and thought it was utterly fantastic through and through. Alongside True Detective season 1 this is the best thing that's happened TV since The Wire. As a whole the series is a big, fat homage to the great 80's, and while it feels very familiar, it still feels so different and unique. It feels like The Goonies, Stand By Me and E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial meets Poltergeist, The Thing and Encounters of the Third Kind, with a bit of Silent Hill and Dark Souls/Bloodborne on top, mostly due to some of its visual style and atmosphere.

Great story, piss-fucking-cool characters, great cast and a top notch soundtrack to top it all. Brilliant!

Also watched the first episode of The Get Down just now. Thought it was fantastic. Cool, funky and groovy. I'll be quite surprised if they manage to keep this quality throughout the show, but if they do we're talking a future classic here. What an episode. A tour de force of awesome!

Finished The Get Down and thought it was very good. Episode one was a bit better than the rest, but the series was great from start to finish. Very satisfying series with a fantastic setting, lots of cool music and nice, colourful characters. The last battle was so fucking cool! Jesus, I think I've watched that ten time already. Amazing!

Looking forward to part 2 of season 1. Shame we'll have to wait until 2017 though.

finished with 2 seasons of Narcos and Mr. Robot. both were really great. Narcos was as good as its first season,  lots of interesting shit was happening during it (especially stuff with Horacio Carrillo). definitely looking forward to 3rd and 4th seasons. 

and Mr. Robot was much better than 1st season(first half of which was great but near the end of the season it became pretty mediocre and predictable, i literally hated that last episode). but this season seemed to be more mature to me, though. really really great. it's funny but i also hate them for that last episode of season 2, though this time it's "good hate" because GODDAMNIT DAT TEASE! i'm glad i didn't drop this show after 1st season.

also watched a few episodes of The Night Of. well, this one is also seems to be some great shit. HBO rarely disappoints me.

Edited by Gaz

The Night Of was great till the very end. neat shit!

almost finished Downton Abbey. only one season has left, yasss! can't say this show is bad, but it's just not really my cup of tea. and don't wanna drop it either lol

now, i'm in the middle of 4th season of Weeds. weeeeeeell i can't say much good about it. not funny enough to be sitcom and not serious enough to be drama. somewhere in between but it looks pretty cheap with mediocre actors and plot, meh. dunno, why am i still watching it tho.

Started watching Stranger Things recently, GOOD SHIT RIGHT THERE MY DUDES

11 hours ago, Tokage said:

Started watching Stranger Things recently, GOOD SHIT RIGHT THERE MY DUDES

TV doesn't get much better than this in 2016.

Excited for Westworld, though I am a bit sceptical as I am a huge fan of the film. Can it live up to the film? No idea, but I have my hopes up high.

^ i watched the 1st episode of Westworld, but all i can say for now is the trailer was more exciting than the episode itself. but i still have a good hopes about this show so we'll see.

Half-way into Luke Cage as this is so far exceeding all my expectations. I was really looking forward to the series and considering the quality of both Daredevil and Jessica Jones I did expect it to be good. But I consider hims the least interesting of The Defenders and was worried he wouldn't work to well being the star of the show. But Luke Cage is excellent! And I like how all these series are so god damned different from eachother in style, tone and feeling, yet maintaining a lot of the same feeling.

Diggin' so far, and the best things about the series so far:

-Adrian Younge and Ali Shaheed Muhammad's excellent score, and the choice of music (such as Wu Tang!!!)

-The classic late-70's Blaxploitation-feeling they got going quite often. I'm a huge fan of Blaxploitation cinema, so this makes me happy-as-fuck.

-Mahershala Ali's Cottonmouth, especially when he laugh. He's excellent through and through, and his brilliant laughter is just the icing on the cake. Just turn up the sound on the surround and enjoy his laughter, guys.

watching now:

Six Feet Under (s03e11) welp, it's HBO and stuff, but somehow i cannot feel this show. there are no characters to whom i can sympathize or relate to. it's good overall, but just that, nothing special.

Carnivale (s02e09) also HBO, and this one is more interesting for me than the previous show. it pretty dark and atmospheric stuff. there was suppose to be 6 seasons of it but the show has been closed after 2nd and i can see why. the pace was slow, especially in the 1st season. and such show is not for everyone, that's for sure. 

Damages (s01e07) lol now i see which show How to Get Away with Murder shamelessly ripped off! even some characters were copypasted from there. anyway, Damages seems to be much better and more mature from what i've seen so far (those sex scenes in HTGAWM were so out of place and were pretty much a fan-service fillers, ugh).

also finished 3rd season of The Fall. even though, there was less suspense than in previous seasons, it still delivered. also Gillian Anderson <3

continued Supernatural last night, pretty much the only tv series that i'm watching, and started season 6. when i didn't know much about supernatural back then and randomly saw it on tv i always thought that balthazar was chef ramsey lol. apparently they're different people! (and the difference is so obvious now)

also, all the good things being said about stranger things is making me really curious. i might pick up on it......

Edited by plastic_rainbow

I am currently 6 episodes into The Expanse and I am currently loving the shit out of this series. It's a beautiful mix of melodramatic space opera and dark, gritty and grim neo-noir, and unlike most space operas I've seen this is actually R-rated, with some stunning violence and use of blood. Unique cinematography (for a TV-series), classy set-designs and so far an interesting story and nice characters. So far, so fucking good!

5 hours ago, Bear said:

I am currently 6 episodes into The Expanse and I am currently loving the shit out of this series. It's a beautiful mix of melodramatic space opera and dark, gritty and grim neo-noir, and unlike most space operas I've seen this is actually R-rated, with some stunning violence and use of blood. Unique cinematography (for a TV-series), classy set-designs and so far an interesting story and nice characters. So far, so fucking good!

Just finished the rewatch on Netflix and I love it more and more now... hoping that the second season will be even better!

Maaaan I just got into motherfuckin The Wire this week and watched the motherfucking season 1 in a flash and now I can't stop fucking cursing at every fuckin sentence. That shit is so fuckin good, now I understand why people call it the best fucking tv series of all time. Fuckin McNulty is a genious busting Rawls balls just for the laugh... started season two and turning the 13 bodies into homicides was fucking hilarious...

finished Six Feet Under and even though pretty much every character there was annoying and despicable, the show overall was rather enjoyable than not, with many good moments. especially the ending! what an awesome closure, i totally loved it!

also finished Damages. was thinking to drop it after 3rd season, which was pretty dull, but decided to finish since i have some free time anyway. what i can say for sure is i really hate their fucked up timelime, when in one episode they tell "1 month earlier" and in the next it's already "2 weeks earlier" while the events take place the same or the following day. and it's now hard to tell which one (Damages or How to Get Away with Murder) i like more. prolly will be able to tell for sure after i watch 3rd season of HTGAWM. if they'll manage to keep it as much interesting as the previous 2(which i doubt somehow), kudos will go to them.

started Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Sons of Anarchy. so far i haven't noticed nothing really special about these shows, but at the same i don't hate them. for the time being they are alright to watch. 

and just want to say that Westworld is getting better and better with each episode. everybody should watch it. best new series of 2016 for sure!

I'm actually on Salem season 2. I really enjoyed the first season but the scenario was quite expected. I really tike what is happening on season 2 and I hope it'll have more unexpected twist in the stories. Anyone else watch it?

Finished Slasher and was left down. Not because it was bad, but because it didn't live up to my expectations. It's only 8 episodes long, but it could've been cut 2, maybe even 3 episodes, and it was way, way, way too predictable in the end. But it did deliver some surprises throughout the season and the violence and gore were amazing, as well as the The Executioner which was totally badass (until you are 100% sure who he is, because he is a total whimpass pussy IMO). But up until then he's badass and he looks amazing.

Not too bad. Looking forward to a new season too. From what I've gathered they want to do it in the American Horror Story way with a lot of the same faces in new roles, new storyline and so on. I'm all for this. First season was way above American Horror Story as well.

I also got around to watch the Sherlock special The Abominable Bride, and this might be my favourite episode thus far. This is actually a gothic horror episode, clearly inspired by 50's and 60's gothic horror, and I do not think I am mistaken when I say that Hammer Horror's classic The Hound of the Baskervilles must've been a huge inspiration on this episode. Because I could see a lot of The Hound of the Baskervilles in this episode, from the visual style, the cinematography, the acting and the atmosphere. Fantastic episode!

Watched En Immersion/Deep yesterday, a three episode short french crime series. It's dark, gritty and bleack as fuck, with a certain comic book feeling to it. I thought it was brilliant, even though it could've been a bit longer. It's in black and white, but that really helps forming the atmosphere that I liked so well. Stunning series!

in the middle of 7 (and last) season of Sons of Anarchy and have to admit - this show's pretty good. there are some ups and downs, but if you disregard mediocre acting and awful music, you will most likely enjoy it too. the amount of people who were killed there might actually compete with GoT and some plot twists were also pretty insane. 

dropped Brooklyn Nine-Nine after 1st season. crappy show, crappy actors, crappy humor. 'nuff said.

also watched first season of The Shield. good stuff! quite interesting plot and characters. looking forward to other seasons.

thinking about trying out The Prisoner (the old one). hopefully it'll deliver me some suspense. 

Edited by Gaz

The Shield is not a HBO series, which is the reason why the dialogue is so disappointing. Now, don't get me wrong here. I love the series, but langue feels way off with the lack of proper swearing/cursing and such. Which is also a huge problem in Sons of Anarchy for me, among way too many things.

The Prisoner is great, but don't expect too much suspense. It's more of a drama than anything.

And I fucking love Brooklyn Nine-Nine. One of the best comedies in recent time IMO.

yeah, somehow i assumed it was HBO's but after i wrote that post i was reading wiki and saw that it's FX's. and now that you mentioned it, indeed, language has lack of good swearing. though, that doesn't bothers me at all. 

that's what i assumed when i decided to start Brooklyn 9-9, but somehow jokes and humor there are so dull and not funny, that i couldn't help but drop it. Andy Samberg is a really bad actor imo (although i like some of Lonely Island music videos). 

and honestly i haven't watched a good comedy series in ages. there's nothing that look promising among ongoing series. maybe i should explore some oldies, like Seinfield. 

19 hours ago, Gaz said:

yeah, somehow i assumed it was HBO's but after i wrote that post i was reading wiki and saw that it's FX's. and now that you mentioned it, indeed, language has lack of good swearing. though, that doesn't bothers me at all. 

that's what i assumed when i decided to start Brooklyn 9-9, but somehow jokes and humor there are so dull and not funny, that i couldn't help but drop it. Andy Samberg is a really bad actor imo (although i like some of Lonely Island music videos). 

and honestly i haven't watched a good comedy series in ages. there's nothing that look promising among ongoing series. maybe i should explore some oldies, like Seinfield. 

I highly recommend the sitcoms It's always sunny in philadelphia and Arrested Development.