Jigsaw9

Post-punk / New wave / Goth / Deathrock

Speaking of German goth: Xmal Deutschland are an absolute must-listen. Probably one of the most well known dark punk/goth bands from Germany, they were often compared to Siouxsie and the Banshees. Their first albums (Fetisch and Tocsin) are truly great goth rock. Their later releases were more straight forward Pop influenced New Wave

It seems female fronted Goth is quite popular, so I‘ll share some more of my favourites, of which many bands are coming from the deathrock end of the genre.

First Christ vs. Warhol, a contemporary deathrock band formed in 2009 with some killer Line-Up, featuring members from Scarlet‘s Remains (the older band of the singer and also sharing the same sound as this one. Recommend it as well!), Marzia Rangel and Steven James, who were in Faith and the Muse (another great band)

Fangs on Fur are next. For me they were a harder band to get into, but after a while they started to grow on me. I personally find they have a very own, unique style that sets them apart from other deathrock bands. That’s mostly because their vocalist is a lot squeakier and they have a very interesting, native american/western inspired concept.

Crimson Scarlet are making music in the vein of Scarlet‘s Remains and Co. If you liked the previous bands, then you will like them as well. It’s just that they have only released two singles and an EP so far, so I am hoping for more material to follow soon, because they are really promising.

(sorry for doublepost, but the last link does not work otherwise)

And lastly: the amazing post-punk group Belgrado hailing from Spain, who bring the original punk energy back into Wave music. Or music in general. Their songs are energetic and cathy and the fact that the lyrics are not in english add some nice variety.

Oh god, where do I start. 

I guess I'll just drop some favorites here. 

Brilliant stuff. Sucks because nowadays I think they make some vampire freaks-esque mid-2000's emo kid music. 

Ausgang/Kabuki

I mean...the song is called I Am A Horse. I don't think you need any other reason to listen to this.

Sadie Sads

Some Japanese post-punk for your nerves. This track is just weird, but of course that makes it lovely. Beautiful use of engrish, almost brings a tear to my eye. Oh, and a little bit of gurgling noises and mating calls. (real talk tho, the entire Box With Little Doll album is simply amazing.)

I was gonna name like 50 more but I don't know how to describe music besides saying "yeah it's really cool, brilliant, cooool" so it's best I end it here. I'll come back when I can write something good. 

Is new romantic stuff allowed? Or is the something different from new wave? :s

I guess it's okay kinda~ :)

Random: just got home from seeing Agent Side Grinder. What an amazing band! They mix dark Joy Division-ish atmosphere with New Order-like arrangements and some hints of minimal industrial and synth-pop. I didn't think they would sound so awesomely 'mechanical' -- no wonder, 3 out of the 5 guys on stage played some kind of synth / tape loop / machinery / metal percussion / noises. So cool to see & hear, it was very '80s, haha. Catch them while you still can, they're still on tour for a few more days (one French and a couple of Czech dates left).

I'm gonna cheat a bit and post a band that kinda doesn't belong here, but which I still feel deserves a mention in the thread. The band I am thinking about is the swedish heavy metallers In Solitude. But with their last album, Sister, they went in a more deathrock/goth rock influenced direction. To support the album they released a single with two songs, one which was a cover of the swedish post-punk band Cortex, and also finished off their career with a single with two songs, one which was a Samhain cover, which also happens to be one of the best cover songs ever. Great album! Worth a try for fans of the genres.

now these 3 bands are kinda irrelevant to each other but it cool

The Names

Something that I really enjoy but yet to figure out. Very atmospheric band with that post punk feel.

This hollow sound

Aunt Sally

Late 70s japanese post punk band with Phew for vocals. they have this avant garde weird style with their music. Love it! Very short lived band.

Cabaret Voltaire

Now they are definitely my kind of music! started listening to them not to long ago.They are something haha

i definitely recommend giving them a listen. crazy experimental danceable songs. their music changes throughout the years, so youll find something.

Two fantastic Japanese EP's sure to be on someones alley. The second especially I post with no reservations, 'tis an essential listen despite the relative obscurity. 

http://stalkingduppi.blogspot.fi/If the links here are still working it's a good resource for anyone daring. If my memory serves there's Pale Cocoon releases available thou' you can get them easy from slsk as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V17Yd8joIto

Finally getting to try some stuff:

I liked Catholic Spit, Asylum Play, and Metro Cult  

Not really experienced with Death Rock, but I do like this song:

In regards to new wave, does that not encompass things like Duran Duran? I always thought it meant songs like this, which is considerably less dark than most of the examples here:

^ Ahh yes, Cinema Strange are great! Also, gotta love that Desireless song / whole album. <3

New wave has always been a pretty wide category for me, so not really sure how to best encompass it actually... when I think 'new wave' I usually think of stuff like Gary Numan, Japan, New Order, and I guess Duran Duran fits in there just fine too!

Probably the first band that exposed me to the post-punk scene was Interpol. Every album they put out is great and they're still one of my favorite bands, but their debut album, Turn On The Bright Lights, remains their masterpiece.

And of course can't have a post-punk thread and not mention Joy division.

Also good thread. I'm always in search of more bands of this style.

I haven't been really into their new tracks revealed so far, but still, I'm very excited for the upcoming album. They know how to play good stuff, so I bet it will deliver. :)

Something classic from Germany and the 80s: Marquee Moon. Amazing and nearly forgotten band.

A recent find and a band I am currently spinning and listening to a lot is The Soft Moon. Amazing bland between shoegaze wall of sounds and post-punk. Totally recommend this stuff!

Listed as 'experimental post-punk' this song is kinda spooky in its own way. I love this song progression. Very adventurous music if anything! I'm a little obsessed with this record. Plenty of great music on Odyshape.

More in line with the rest of the topic is KaS Product. This amazing song (their most popular tune probably) is from the 1981 album Try Out but in its entirety I prefer the 1983 album By Pass. "Try out both of these, don't by pass any!" There's a little more to their discography but I haven't gotten to that yet.

Grave Pleasure's New Hip Moon is simply among the best tracks released this year. What a monster track! I cannot get it out of my head, and that chorus is the best thing Beastmilk/Grave Pleasure ever did. Stunning! Crying Wolves is a few steps behind though, but I can't wait for this album.

Bauhaus is great. I think my favorite song is "The Sanity Assassin".

It appears as a bonus track on certain CD releases of Burning from the Inside.

Unusual for such a great track to be treated like that! :mellow: