^heyy

Since I've been living in Korea I've come across a few artists that I really like, so I figured I'd share them here. Unlike my other posts, these are artists that I'm actually listening to on a regular basis rather than just recommendations from friends or bands I've heard about but don't care for so much.

Tierpark

Really cool mix of dreamgaze and post-rock with a little bit of math-rock added in for good measure. They remind me a little bit of a Japanese indie band called COgeNdshE but with more emphasis on melodic vocals. Their

오희정 (Oh HeeJung)

Her sound makes use of both electronic and 'real' instruments to create a distinct and incredibly relaxing dreampop sound. Both of her EPs are available on Bandcamp and although I'd say Everybody here wants you back slighty beats 표류기 overall, I can comfortably recommend both of them.

유카리 (YUKARI)

유카리 is one of the most promising dream-pop acts in Korea at the moment (despite her Japanese-sounding name). Her work varies from very chill, almost cokiyu-esque, numbers to more up-tempo songs, but everything has a distinctly dreamlike quality to it. Like the previous two artists her album ECHO is available on Bandcamp and she supposedly has a new album on the way too.

실리카겔 (SILICA GEL)

A combination of predominantly-instrumental progressive and psychedelic rock with a healthy dose of synth mixed in for good measure. Unfortunately their work doesn't appear to be available on Bandcamp but you can find their EP on iTunes nevertheless.

I totally missed thread. As someone severely in need of some jumping-off points in the scene, I'm glad to know it exists now!

Since @blackdoll mentioned HYUKOH (혁오) above, I'll post about them again, with one of their own songs:

I learned about them via @greeeeen and knowing so little about Korean indie, it surprised me that this style of jangly guitar pop was a thing there! Love it!

I see a nice list of things already here!~

K-Indie scene has start to become more popular in the last few years, thankfully.

Hecca

DIEALRIGHT

Espresso

Jambinai

Bonus: K-Indie scene also have more emerging visual inspired acts.

Ste- Influence: L~arc~en~Ciel, X-Japan, the Hiatus, Gackt

RoaR- Influence: Malice Mizer,Luna Sea, Glay, The Gazette

(no proper mv just live performaces and a short preview of their mini album

i'm happy someone mentions roar here~~
i lived in korea before and went to their shows often and met them often after the show (but we communicate in broken japanese because my korean is not much at all) and they are super nice and their show is really fun. they usually play j-rock cover songs as well as their own songs.

i'm happy someone mentions roar here~~

i lived in korea before and went to their shows often and met them often after the show (but we communicate in broken japanese because my korean is not much at all) and they are super nice and their show is really fun. they usually play j-rock cover songs as well as their own songs.

I have  saw them perform at GJ World Music Festival. Interested me enough to buy their first mini which isn't half bad. curious as to what comes next for them.

It seemed strange to me that Belle Époque and Misty Blue have not been named, perhaps they are very old and do not belong to the indie scene.

Belle Époque

Spoiler

Edited by oxbxjxe

ASEUL dropped a new album today titled "Slow Dance". 

The album is a bit hit and miss and I think she's still refining and perfecting her songwriting, but there are some really good tracks on here. She's really nailed that 80's pop / shoegaze-y / bedroom pop sound and I think she's one of the more unique artists in the k-indie scene right now. 

Listen

Bandcamp: https://aseulmusic.bandcamp.com/releases

• Cassettes available (edition of 100 / *bonus track)

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3UpUxciy04

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/785adWJo2uSCmUXhqQcGIa

Edited by ghost

@CAT5 - Se Seo Neon are a staple in the indie-rock scene! This is my favorite track from them so far:

They also released a new EP back in February and it's pretty good:

9 hours ago, ahnchc said:

'Dive' by ILULIY/Lulileela. I love the bass licks.

I loooove Lulileela! I really wish she'd release something longer though. An EP at least would be a nice.

There's this indie artist called Alice Vicious (formerly Livii) whom I like much more than most of the k-pop artists I follow (though she is pretty popular for an indie composer I guess and there's the thing about "indie pop"...) and recently I found another similarly nice female singer with an interesting aesthetic called Minsu.

I liked Thornapple back then as well, for those that were mentioned before here. Also Gukkasten and some others?

Edited by Chell

Since I enjoyed my foray into western rock, I decided to pay a visit to the Korean (indie) rock side of things. I've been getting into the aforementioned Cotoba! Their newest ep was a very entertaining listen. I'm also been listening to some Guckkasten these days too