CAT5

MH FEATURED POLL #26: Which is your favorite video game developer?

MH POLL OF THE WEEK #26  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite video game developer?

• Capcom
    • EA
    • NAMCO
    • Rock Star
    • Square Enix
    • Ubisoft
    • Other

MH POLL OF THE WEEK #26: Which is your favorite video game developer?

Poll suggested by @yakihiko

48straighthoursofvidya_zps7fd7c587.gif

To submit a poll for the MH POLL OF THE WEEK, P.M. either @CAT5 or @beni with your poll question, choices, and state whether it's multiple choice or not.

From the ones listed (because I can't think of my other biases in game developers atm), but I really like NAMCO and Ubisoft due to a certain few games both have under their belts. But my favourite (that is, atm), is, as you can see in my sig, Square Enix. I don't care if they're Squaresoft or Square Enix, they have always released great games, and my favourite game franchise is from them so it's no contest for me.

omg i forgot nintendo

Edited by beni

Honestly, I am all over the map in terms of games that I enjoy, so it's hard to pick one. But if I look at the games that I have enjoyed the most over the past year and a half or so, it has to be Nintendo. I may have some serious problems with them as a company, but man do they make some fun ass games.

EA for the most realistic sports gameplay, really the first company I got to know. 2Ksports and Midway Games for arcadey sports games and Midway also did some of the the mortal kombat games. I would need to google developer companies to figure out their names but just currently, Fromsoft is my fave for their Souls series and Bloodborne.

Probably Square Enix for me.  I have always liked their games.

Capcom released a good amount of games in the past too, but they haven't been doing too well these past number of years, unfortunately...They need to revive some games and create sequels (or create better ones if you look at BoF6).

Most of those are more publishers than they are developers exactly. Many of them own multiple development studios that make the games they publish, but nevertheless are distinct studios that I feel should be judged individually rather than altogether. EA for example owns Bioware, DICE, Criterion, etc, which are all pretty distinct from each other than should be judged individually in my opinion. The same could be said for a company like Square Enix which has about 10 Japanese development teams, plus foreign studios such as Eidos Montreal, Crystal Dynamics, and IO Interactive.

As publishers, most of those companies listed are pretty poor in my opinion. Other than Street Fighter V and Deep Down (which seems to be stuck in development hell), Capcom doesn't seem to be working on anything other than ports and remasters. Square's Japanese studios have been an absolute mess for the last decade; repeatedly wasting resources on failed engines (Crystal Tools, Luminous Studio) and taking forever to release games that aren't simple asset rehashes like the XIII sequels (case in point, FFXII, XIII, Type 0 and XV all having insanely long development times). EA and Ubi do a decent job of actually releasing a decent amount of games without much of a fuss, but neither of them publish much stuff that interests me (though DICE's Mirror's Edge sequel and Battlefront reboot both interest me somewhat at the moment).

I'd say the two developers that stand out to me the most at the moment are CD Projekt RED (The Witcher series, Cyberpunk 2077), and Platinum Games (Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising). The former I consider to be the best RPG developer in the world right now. Considering the fact that they only have three games under their belt and aren't owned by a major publisher it's astonishing how much they're making studios like Bioware and Bethesda look like amateurs in terms of world design, quest design, writing, and so on. The latter is just an excellent studio when it comes to developing games with really solid gameplay foundations and depth; the type of games that allow you to keep playing for hours and hours without hitting any sort of skill peak. In that respect they're like a modern version of Amusement Vision.

ubisoft french titles, capcom for street fighter/onimusha, namco for tekken and rrrrridge racer.

EA has published good games, and used to have lots of talent employed, but I haven't followed them up for long ago. what was that DICE crew doing in north america, btw?..

square-enix is pure shit ( #atlus fan here);

konami and team silent/university team behind it for horror games, sure. same with SCEJ and forbidden siren, and gran turismo - both not listed here.

also, level5 for most jrpg faves of mine, and sega for interesting once in a while one hit wonder titles (vanquish, for example.)

oh, and remedy!! if rockstar made it on the list.

At the moment, Bandai Namco Studios mainly for Tales franchise. Most developers don't have a consistent track record of games that gets my attention. I do like Valve for giving us steam and making their games optimized in top form.