CAT5

Recommended Tracks: August 2015!

Best New Tracks: August 2015  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Which picks did you enjoy this month?

• A9 - "流æ??群 (Ryuuseigun)"
    • Antic Cafe - "å?å¹´DIVE!!!!! (Sennen DIVE!!!!!)"
    • JILUKA - "Parasite"
    • KEEL - "ã??ã?¬ã?¼ã?? (parade)"
    • lynch. - "EVOKE"
    • StrangerSaid. - "saw.[ss_ver.]/takumi_mix"
    • The GazettE - "OMINOUS"
    • é»?ç?¾å?と影 (Kuroyuri to kage) - "ぺどã??(pedo.)"
    • Aqua Timez - "æ??å¾?までII (Saigo Made II)"
    • Bird In A Cage - "岩çª?のè?母 (Gankutsu no seibo)"
    • coldrain - "Words Of The Youth"
    • Crossfaith - "Devil's Party"
    • LAST CALIX - "Before My Hands Become Stained With Blood"
    • MAGNETIC NORTH - "Animus"
    • MY FIRST STORY - "ALONE"
    • THE TEENAGE KISSERS - "ã?·ã?£ã?¼ã?­ã??ã??の森 (Charlotte no mori)"
    • WANIMA - "ã?ã?ã?ã?? (ii kara)"
    • そã??でã??ä¸?ç??ã?ç¶?くなã?? (Soredemo Sekai ga Tsuzukunara) - 解é?¢ã¨å?´å? (kairi to roudou)"
    • ã?¨ã?¢ã?®|ã?¤|ã?ã?¨ã?¦ (yomogiichiyou) - "ã??ã??ã??ã?³ã?? (Dominant)"
    • androp - "Letter"
    • Language - "Moonlight"
    • mothercoat - "u.n.o"
    • PELICAN FANCLUB - "Chilico"
    • Praha Depart - "Sweet Wave"
    • Ropes - "Drive"
    • äº?æ??健ä»?と母è?¹ (Kensuke Ide & His Mothership) - "å¹½é??のé??ä¼? (yurei no shukai)"
    • å?«åå?«ã?¶æ??巡礼 (88Kasyo Junrei) - "é??河の恥ã?»ã?»ã?» (ginga no haji...)"
    • æµ®é?ã?¹ã?«ç?« (fuyusuru neko) - "mana"
    • CHiCO with HoneyWorks - "ã??ã?©ã?¤ã??革å?½ (Pride Kakumei)"
    • la la larks - "Q and A"
    • Menoz - "遥ã?»i m a (haruka i m a)"
    • phatmans after school - "FR/DAY NIGHT"
    • SHISHAMO - "ç??きã??ã?¬ã?¼ã?« (ikiru girl)"
    • ã?µã?«ã??ã?¯ã?·ã?§ã?³ (sakanaction) - "years"
    • 大é??ç?±ç¾?子 (Yumiko Ohno) - "Escalator Step"

Best New Tracks: August 2015

As always, another month has passed and the ORZ team has a great selection of music to recommend! Feel free to comment or discuss any of this month's picks and even offer your own as well! :3

Visual Kei

"流星群 (Ryuuseigun)" by A9

albumartist

A9 proves that their recent shift around in the music scene isn't anything to worry about. Their fourth mini album 銀河ノヲト (Ginga No Oto) holds a gem of a track. Song four has a real spark to it, with a gorgeous melody throughout its verses, and a b(l)ooming chorus. It's a soaring number that'll keep your spirits up during harder times.

- @beni

"千年DIVE!!!!! (Sennen DIVE!!!!!)" by Antic Cafe

albumartist

Now releasing their first major single (can you believe they're only just doing that NOW!?) after a lengthy absence of not releasing anything, they make a return to form with this firecracker. While the single's appearance, PV and sound give off mighty 'Free!' feels, An Cafe does extremely well in capturing the look of it as a whole package, setting up a watery Summer escape. It's an energetic, feel good number that will surely keep you warm during the upcoming colder months!

- @beni

"Parasite" by JILUKA

albumartist

I'm not sure how JILUKA stayed off of my radar for so long, but I'm glad that's not the case any longer! "Parasite" is some quality east-meets-west melodic metal battle where we all win. The guitars are beastly, the drums are murderous, and even the vocals hold their own -- which is rare these days. It's some of the cleanest metal I've heard coming out of the visual indies scene in some time, and I hope they keep it up.

- @doombox

"パレード (parade)" by KEEL

albumartist

KEEL is a new super group, most prominently featuring ex-9GOATS BLACK OUT vocalist Ryo and the god and death stars guitarist aie. As soon as the 10 second mark hits, aie's signature guitar sound pops up and I'm in love! In this track, Ryo does an effectively creepy whisper through much of the verses and the chorus is a beast. On the whole, I'm still not wowed by KEEL, but on this track and "禍人 (kajin)", the music and vocals come together in a beautiful way and I can definitely hear some magic. Looking forward to what KEEL will bring next!

- @fitear1590

"EVOKE" by lynch.

albumartist

After GALLOWS, I thought they were bent on becoming purely a metalcore band, but EVOKE shows a side of lynch. I haven't seen in a while. The re-recording of DOZE wasn't a coincidence; the entire single picks up where SHADOWS left off. EVOKE in particular reminds me a lot of ADORE, but with some extra energy and aggression they gained from their last two major releases. The striking melody of the chorus and the breakdown set everything over the edge, and the song keeps you pumped until the very end. Even the production is on point, which I can't say about their last few releases. This is exactly the kind of music I've wanted them to make for the last several years. Something in me wonders if the band has realized that what was lacking in their new "sound" was the pop and hard rock influences that they've been forcibly suppressing, because these feels so natural the progression from GALLOWS to this is plain awkward. It wouldn't be wrong to say that EVOKE is an adrenaline shot straight to the eardrums. I bet this rocks even harder live.

- @Zeus

"saw.[ss_ver.]/takumi_mix" by StrangerSaid.

albumartist

StrangerSaid.'s live-limited single THE PAST. may have been released earlier this year, but it was just recently made available for webshop purchase. Accompanying the title track (which features two versions of mixing), there is "saw.", which is a cover of guitarist/vocalist Amano Yuki's acoustic solo project song from 2012. The simple acoustic composition has been completely reworked to take advantage of StrangerSaid.'s live string accompaniment, with guest violin and sukekiyo's Yuchi on upright bass--let me tell you, this new version is the definitive one. How can you resist that silky, smooth violin?

- @fitear1590

"OMINOUS" by The GazettE

albumartist

There's nothing like the slow burn at the end of a monolithic album to end on a poignant note. It's a different beast entirely when those last five minutes are the pinnacle of the entire experience. OMINOUS slides in comfortably alongside tracks like DIM SCENE, 千鶴 (Chizuru), and 体温 (Taion), which is really high praise considering how universally recognized these songs are for excelling at atmosphere and execution. They also come at the end (or near the end) of their respective albums, working as a type of summary for the piece as a whole. Songs like OMINOUS don't come around often from this band; this only happens when the GazettE leverages effective use of atmosphere, electronics, acoustics, and synthesizer with their rock sensibilities without letting their ambitions get the best of them. It's so good it's transcending the language barrier and catching the eyes and ears of westerners, quick to draw up comparisons with big name bands like KATATONIA to really drum up the hype. It's not easy to explain why the intro is so gripping when there's nothing going on at all, or why that progression around the middle is to die for. Let's just say that it's by far the best track on all of DOGMA, representing the conceptual feel of the album while resembling nothing on it. If you haven't heard it yet, do yourself a favor.

- @Zeus

"ぺど。(pedo.)" by 黒百合と影 (Kuroyuri to kage)

albumartist

This track came out just a hair late for me to include in last month's BNT, but it still stands strong as my favorite track from its album. The vocals are eerie and the music box melody sends the creep-factor through the roof. When the drums come in coupled with the guitar riffs, they are duel machine guns that mow down everything in their path. While the rest of the mini album is rather hit or miss, this song makes the whole thing worth it.

- @doombox

Rock / Metal / Punk

"最後までII (Saigo Made II)" by Aqua Timez

albumartist

From what I've heard from these guys' anime tunes, they're not as heavy as their latest Gintama. ending theme song (yes, you have both the opening and ending together, folks, just go watch Gintama.), and it makes for an extremely pleasant surprise. Lyrically, it's as inspirational as they always are. Musically, the build up is fantastic, and the last bridge of the chorus is to die for. The structure may be simple, but it makes for a quickly familiar tune that'll keep playing in your head for days. 

- @beni

"岩窟の聖母 (Gankutsu no seibo)" by Bird In A Cage

albumartist

Bird In A Cage is an obscure, indie band from Shimane Prefecture, Japan, which is quite a ways away from the bustling music hub that is Tokyo. Regardless, they've made great use of social media to spread their music. Their sound reminds me of early to mid 00's J-indie bands with its heavy post-rock leanings, but "岩窟の聖母" in particular sticks out with its grunginess. The band almost sounds like an amateur geek sleep sheep, albeit much more convincing. The best part is that this track and the rest of their music is completely free, so head over to bandcamp to snag it!

- @CAT5

"Words Of The Youth" by coldrain

albumartist

The boys are back with a fist-pumping, shout-along, summer anthem. This is the coldrain I've been waiting to hear again. While their last few releases have felt a little diluted, "Words Of The Youth" shows coldrain have absolutely returned to form. Musically, they've held on to their heavier side, but the strong melodic chorus is exactly what this band excels at and the balance this song finds is damn near perfect.

- @doombox

"Devil's Party" by Crossfaith

albumartist

I'm the type who loves Crossfaith when they do 'party metal', and "Devil's Party" definitely brings back some of those old vibes. The chorus and bridge may be on the lighter side but it's balanced well with heavy verses and a signature Crossfaith breakdown. They definitely tried to please as many different sides of their fanbase as they could with this one. And it should definitely get some bodies moving at their concerts.

- @doombox

"Before My Hands Become Stained With Blood" by LAST CALIX

albumartist

The B-side to their first ever single, LAST CALIX are a hardcore screamo band who sing entirely in English and could easily become the next big thing in America due to their similarity to Asking Alexandria. The melody in such music is lost when it comes to my ears, but LAST CALIX makes the use of clear vocals and screams to the best of their advantage, creating an addicting song that never lets up. The best part is most certainly the break down, so listen out for that as it's a glorious build up.

- @beni

"Animus" by MAGNETIC NORTH

albumartist

Part of what makes "Animus" so impressive is the band itself, considering that the average age of the members is 17 makes the level MAGNETIC NORTH are playing and writing at mind blowing. "Animus" starts off decievingly stereotypical, but unravels itself into something unexpected. The song pulls from a wide range of genres, surprisingly, in the most simple -yet effective- ways. This band is well on their way to making a name for themselves with this kind of head start on their peers.

- @doombox

"ALONE" by MY FIRST STORY

albumartist

MY FIRST STORY took their time coming back with this single, and the time off seems to have done them some good. "ALONE" finally allows them to break out of the shadow they'd unfortunately been stuck in, but plays on many of the band's musical strengths. The melody is memorable and the hook is catchy. All of the elements paired with the song's toe tapping tempo are a great reminder as to why you shouldn't count them out just yet.

- @doombox

"シャーロットの森 (Charlotte no mori)" by THE TEENAGE KISSERS

albumartist

Lead vocalist 北出菜奈 (Nana Kitade) has had plenty of triumphs in the music scene. From solo artist, to a duo project, and now as the lead singer of her very own grunge rock band, Kitade is getting the most out of her plentiful voice. Her vocal work goes from pitchy to clear, and from cute to shrieking; there's really no stopping this woman. Having released their second mini album this month, THE TEENAGE KISSERS prove yet again that they're deserving of much more attention. 'シャーロットの森' is the lengthier, slower song on the mini album, and its what makes for a mesmerizing performance.

- @beni

"いいから (ii kara)" by WANIMA

albumartist

WANIMA are one of my favorite newer punk bands. Their music is energetic, melodic, and dynamic. "いいから" is a prime example of the potent combination they can create. It is nearly impossible to sit still and not sing along with the "whoa oh ohs" and "hey hos" chanted throughout the tune. WANIMA aren't here to only play loud and yell at the world. They prove you can do it with a lot of style, too!

- @doombox

"解離と労働 (kairi to roudou)" by それでも世界が続くなら (Soredemo Sekai ga Tsuzukunara)

albumartist

A steady and slow tempo against an edgy and rough chorus is what makes a winning recipe to me. Along with extremely emotional and pained vocals filled with angst makes for an even more memorable performance. Even at seven minutes long, you'll be sucked in by every single second of the song thanks to the touches of drone at its chorus and the melodic pace.

- @beni

"ドミナント (Dominant)" by ヨモギ|イ|チヨウ (yomogiichiyou)

albumartist

These guys thought up their album name emergence really well, since their opening track expresses that nicely. It's quick, flashy and above all, urgent. The melody is an instant hit, and what tops this all off is the insane vocal work. There's a slight bumpiness/hoarseness in his voice that makes it sound like he's underwater which only adds to the addictiveness of the piece.

- @beni

Indie / Alt.

"Letter" by androp

albumartist

Overall, androp's new self-titled album failed to make an impression on me. "Letter", however, managed to claw its way into my monthly playlist. The woozy guitar riffs draw you in with an almost hypnotic quality. The slower tempo of the music, combined with vocalist Takahito's fast-talking (I hesitate to call it "rap") delivery during parts of the verses creates something pretty unique! From what I recall of older androp releases, they tried a few new things on this album and "Letter" stands out as the most successful song.

- @fitear1590

"Moonlight" by Language

albumartist

Language's dreamy post-rock is at its height with this track. The entire album is worth a listen, but "Moonlight" showcases all of their best qualities in one gorgeous piece. The haunting verses and soaring chorus are the perfect union to build the song up and take the listener on a wistful journey under the moon and into the veil of night. This song is made for those days when you need to turn music on and the world off.

- @doombox

"u.n.o" by mothercoat

albumartist

J-indie stars mothercoat, who according to their bandcamp have amassed a cult following across the UK, American, and Canada, quietly dropped their latest album "GOHUM" recently. As usual, it's a quirky, mixed bag of sonic goodies, but I find "u. n. o" particularly recommendable for its sheer, straightforward jubilance. It's a fun track and the main riff is as playful and infectious as a Super Mario tune! If mothercoat is your thing, be sure to pick up "GOHUM" on bandcamp.

- @CAT5

"Chilico" by PELICAN FANCLUB

albumartist

When I wrote about PELICAN FANCLUB's PV track "Dali" last month, I thought I had their sound pretty much pegged. Imagine my surprise when I found that they opened their self-titled mini album with a full-on shoegaze track! Prepare to be smacked in the face with an ethereal wall of guitar noise. The chorus then takes the track in a different direction, lending it a bit of an anthemic edge. But don't just stop there--PELICAN FANCLUB has so much more variety to offer than what is heard in these two featured tracks.

- @fitear1590

"Sweet Wave" by Praha Depart

albumartist

Located somewhere in the realm of post-punk and no-wave, Praha Depart are one of the hidden gems of Japanese Indie. They formed in 2004 and have even performed abroad in Europe, America, and Canada, but you practically never see them mentioned amongst gaijin fanbases. That might be because their music isn't immediately inviting. "Sweet Wave", a track from the band latest EP of the same name, exemplifies this with its bumbling grooves, and vocalist's Mai Yano's emotive wailing. The song may have an awkward start, but it explodes into greatness by the end! Pick up "Sweet Wave" on bandcamp if it tickles your fancy.

- @CAT5

"Drive" by Ropes

albumartist

Indie vocalist achico, who's worked with a variety of bands and musicians from WUJA BIN BIN, on button down, and Eiko Ishibashi has formed a new duo called ropes with Masafumi Todaka of ART-SCHOOL fame. The two also worked together previously in a band called KAREN, but in contrast to that band's indie-rock sound, ropes takes a stripped down, acoustic approach. Their 2nd album "dialogue" is a lovely collection of whimsical acoustic tunes, and "Drive" is especially memorable. The melody is bright, but it's contrasted by achico's wilting vocals. Altogether it gives off a somber, but reflective atmosphere, and for me it invokes images of a long, rainy, but pleasant drive to nowhere.

- @CAT5

"幽霊の集会 (yurei no shukai)" by 井手健介と母船 (Kensuke Ide & Bosen / Kensuke Ide & His Mothership)

albumartist

Kensuke Ide & His Mothership is a fairly new band, but their sound hinges on psychedelic folk that's reminiscent of the 70's. They just dropped their first, self-titled album and it'll be sure to please nostalgics all around. "yurei no shukai" is undoubtedly one of the standouts. The melodies present in the song are familiar, but Kensuke and his band deliver them so well that it doesn't even matter. If you're partial to their retro sound, then you'll definitely want to give this a go!

- @CAT5

"銀河の恥・・・ (ginga no haji...)" by 八十八ヶ所巡礼 (88Kasyo Junrei)

albumartist

I didn't think it was possible, but after 5 years of consecutive kick-ass releases, it seems like 88kasyo junrei have finally hit a creative lull of sorts. Their new album "日本 (nihongo)" isn't bad by any measure, but it certainly doesn't measure up to past efforts. "ginga no haji..." is one of the finer moments from the album, as it keeps the band's quirky tendencies in tact with its alien riffs and seemingly amorphous structure. It's a song that's certainly worth returning to amidst 88kasyo's quickly growing discography.

- @CAT5

"mana" by 浮遊スル猫 (fuyusuru neko)

albumartist

These girls win my award for most dramatic release. Their latest mini album doesn't let up at any point, but the highlight is definitely track five. The chorus oozes with splender. You could blame my fondness of this song on the lyrical repetition and underwater effects over the vocals at a later stage, but all this makes for a very climatic and beautiful piece. 

- @beni

Pop / Idol / Electronic / R&B / Hip-Hop / Other

"プライド革命 (Pride Kakumei)" by CHiCO with HoneyWorks

albumartist

When you're talking about Vocaloid, HoneyWorks is one of the first names I'll think of alongside other firm favourites of mine. They're a circle comprising of various members, the main pair being composers Gom and shito. This time around, HoneyWorks has stepped out of the doujin scene and into anime galore. 'プライド革命' is the second opening for Gintama. and boy are they more than welcome for using such a masterpiece. The unit 'CHiCO with HoneyWorks' came into existance last year, now getting their second big break after going major some time before. If you're into anime and J-pop, then this will probably creep into your top 2015 songs almost instantly.

- @beni

"Q and A" by la la larks

albumartist

la la larks has been branded as school food punishment 2.0 since their conception, but their second single "ハレルヤ (Hallelujah), specifically this B-side, really cements that notion. "Q and A" is an instant throwback to piano-driven rock tunes like "futuristic imagination", "How to go" and "RPG" that became a staple of school food punishment's major label career. It's like they never disbanded!

- @CAT5

"遥・i m a (haruka i m a)" by Menoz

albumartist

Fronted by the only female in the band, Menoz is an indie band with plenty of energy and originality. Track two of the mini album has a fun, hyper and effortless charm about it. Its song structure sounds like it could be for an anime, but it's their vocalist, Hikarufi, who gives it its repeat value, from its cute lyrical repetition to the echoing effects. It's an extremely catchy and enticing tune that'll definitely get you up and moving. 

- @beni

"FR/DAY NIGHT" by phatmans after school

albumartist

If you needed a song to get you pumped up and ready for the weekend, we got you covered. phatmans after school has provided us with a fun, rapid-fire, pop-rock romp. The combination of synth, piano, guitars, and Yoshida's smooth vocal are sure to get this melody stuck in your head and keep you bouncing with it all friday night long!

- @doombox

"生きるガール (ikiru girl)" by SHISHAMO

albumartist

One of my favorite girl groups return with a trademark cute rock'n'roll tune. The energy is great, but even more, what I love about SHISHAMO is their ability to tell a very descriptive story in their songs. Even if the main focus is still a love (and lost) song like with this one, you often get a more complete picture of their daily lives due to SHISHAMO's candid and honest delivery, and it makes them that much more relatable. 

- @doombox

"years" by サカナクション (sakanaction)

albumartist

sakanaction just released a compilation album of coupling tracks, unreleased works, and remixes. "Years" was previously released on their 5th album "DocumentaLy" and was also a b-side for their 5th single, but I'm glad that this track is finally being given the spotlight, as it's definitely A-side material! It's a bit more contemplative than the band's usual fair, but by the end of the song, there's a definite (though probably not danceable) groove. Be sure to check out the gorgeous new PV for it!

- @CAT5

"Escalator Step" by 大野由美子 (Yumiko Ohno)

albumartist

Yumiko Ohno, of the band Buffalo Daughter, provides one of the few new tracks on electronic mega-producer Cornelius' new collection album, Constellations of Music. The whimsical instrumental tune is at once timeless and wildly creative, playing off of inconspicuous "elevator music" and livening it up with a variety of buoyant, retro synth lines. This track could have easily been picked from the menu screen of a 90s video game and I mean no offense by that description. In fact, it's so infectious that it should have you humming along before the three minutes are up.

- @fitear1590

See you next month! :3

@@doombox You did very well picking coldrain, also, I was waiting for you to choose that. xD

@@Zeus I forgot about this single from Lynch, I'm too lazy this month due to some University related. Thank you for remember me :D

My list↓

More - チェシャ

I only tried this band cos of Judy, but I had the great experience to find a good vocals that carry very well this band that can try keep art-kei alive.

Alice Nine - Phoenix

The song's start is a very amazing experience, with energy, guitar and the background music is a thing that was missed on A9 in a lot of their past releases. It was a good slap on PSC's face.

I'm pretty happy with this new mini album that Alice Nine did this time, I think in musical terms, the band's departure from PS Company was really welcome, and I could enjoy a whole CD's work from them, a thing that I don't had since Blue Flame and Heart of Gold.

I hope the new A9 can bring more from these.

coldrain - Words Of The Youth

I was a bit disappointed with coldrain last CD, but this song brought back all the amazing they can be.

I'm very excited for new album :)

August seemed to be the month of letdowns to me but anyways, my favs out of this list:

"Letter" by androp

I haven't heard of these guys for ages but sheesh, they do sound a bit more daring this time!

"Chilico" by PELICAN FANCLUB

Late shoegaze-inspired J-acts should take a note and see how they should nail the said sound with popistic approach.

"Q and A" by la la larks

SFP 2.0 - need to say more?

"Escalator Step" by 大野由美子 (Yumiko Ohno)

So playful, yet whimsically nostalgic take on typical "elevator music" jingle along with vidya influences - YASS CORNELIUS.

I wasn't crazy about that More single, but everyone talking about it makes me think I should give it another chance. :/

@@doombox You did very well picking coldrain, also, I was waiting for you to choose that. xD

Happy to see you liked the coldrain song too. I am really hoping that Vena will be better than The Revelation now from this song. I loved it! And agree about the new A9 album. If they keep putting out albums like that, I'll be really happy. You could really hear their passion for music again. <3

Glad to see that WANIMA track on the list. :)

Another WANIMA fan? :DDD *high fives* I think it's been smart of them to keep putting out solid minis instead of trying too hard on a full album if they aren't ready yet. I think the last 2 releases are awesome.

@@beni

Yay A9! I feel like that entire release is pretty solid, it was cool to see one of the non-pv songs up here. I'm also really surprised how much I liked that An Cafe song. o.O I haven't enjoyed their music in a really long time. I would have never have pegged you to be a person into a band like LAST CALIX, but thanks for including them. They're really fun, I want to look into them. They remind me a bit of a crowd of rebellion/hysteric panic with that vocalist. Also, 浮遊スル猫 were new to me. Good stuff! They might be able to fill a little of the hole in my heart from イツエ.

@@fitear1590

I didn't like that KEEL song in the context of the release, but hearing it stand alone, I like it way more now. And PELICAN FANCLUB sound better every time you recc them. I have the mini but I haven't had a chance to check it out yet. I need to do that!!!

@@Zeus

Ominous was my favorite song on that album. Really good pick, imo. 

@@CAT5

Downloading Bird In A Cage as I type this! Wow, they are really nice. ;w; I'm also diggin' that Ropes song a lot. Seems like a lot of your picks are pretty laid back this month. I found myself wanting to make a playlist out of the songs you chose because they feel like they kind of go together? 

Ito's quick unfiltered thoughts! Watch as I lose my ability to think and describe!

Green = mhmm
Yellow = hmmm
Orange = uhhhhh
Red = uuuugh

VK
A9 - "流星群 (Ryuuseigun)"
I haven't listened to Alice Nine is ages...in fact, it's probably been about a decade or so. Vacalist is still kind of off putting with 'dem nasally VK vocals. Other than that, pretty enjoyable. Nothing I would celebrate, but pleasant none the less.

Antic Cafe - "千年DIVE!!!!! (Sennen DIVE!!!!!)"
And another blast from the past. Last time I listened to them in any capacity was 2008 according to last.fm. I could honestly keep it that way, this track is a bit too sugary for me. I think I would like it alright without the sparkly layer of electronics on top.

JILUKA - "Parasite"
I downloaded this but have yet to listen to it. Seems like I made a good decision. Guitar tone remind me a lot of Deluhi, which isn't a bad thing. Heavy but without being messy. Chorus is poppy without taking it too far (in a similar style to some of my favorite despairsray stuff). We have a winner.

KEEL - "パレード (parade)"
I'm a sucker for nagoya kei. I found Hollowgram to be a total disappointment for Ryo after 9GBO. This feels like the successor that we deserve. Also, aie is awesome. I have yet to listen to anything other than this track, but now I'm excited.

lynch. - "EVOKE"
Am I seriously gunna do three greens in a row? I should be to old, cynical, and jaded for that to happen! But I can't help it, lynch is doing what they do best in this track and it is awesome.

StrangerSaid. - "saw.[ss_ver.]/takumi_mix"
I think the song beats around the bush for a bit too long before it hits it's stride, but when it does, man, it's nice. Rarely do I feel the need to be in between, but flgkdag;dfg.

The GazettE - "OMINOUS"
This is literally the only track you need of of DOGMA. Feels like it is straight off of DIM, which is a damn good thing. LEARN FROM THIS, GAZETTE.

黒百合と影 (Kuroyuri to kage) - "ぺど。(pedo.)"
Feels promising, but also a bit too messy.

Rock/ Metal/Punk
Aqua Timez - "最後までII (Saigo Made II)"
Really not feeling the vocals. Song felt pretty snooze worthy tbh. No major sins though.

Bird In A Cage - "岩窟の聖母 (Gankutsu no seibo)"
The song feels a little flat to me. It's like there is something missing. I dig the the guitar tone, but that's about it. Could possibly be the production that leaves this one feeling a little lifeless.

coldrain - "Words Of The Youth"
I really wish their vocalist sang in something other than English cause I can't stand most of his lyrics. It's so fucking basic that it drives me nuts. "Never again, This is the end, Not going to lay down like we're broken." That some linkin park level shit. I like their music decently enough though. 

Crossfaith - "Devil's Party"
Nah, bro.

LAST CALIX - "Before My Hands Become Stained With Blood"
I set my rating system so I have to pick positive or negative and I can't be neutral. This song makes it hard. I feel like this song is a grower. It feels a bit messy, but I think I just need to wrap my head around it a bit more. I want to rate this negatively, but I feel like it will turn after a couple of listens.

MAGNETIC NORTH - "Animus"
Feels like these good be solid after a year or two. Right now things are just too sloppy and disjointed.

MY FIRST STORY - "ALONE"
Sounds like the One Ok Rock style of rock that has been scrubbed so clean that it lack any personality. Like man, how do you get to this point? It same some hints of fun hiding, but it's too bland overall to make it worth the effort.

THE TEENAGE KISSERS - "シャーロットの森 (Charlotte no mori)"
Didn't do much for me, but not bad.

WANIMA - "いいから (ii kara)"
Fun, summery, upbeat, not for me.

それでも世界が続くなら (Soredemo Sekai ga Tsuzukunara) - 解離と労働 (kairi to roudou)"
I gave up halfway through. There just isn't enough here to hook me. I feel like I need to be in the right mood to really dig drone though, and that isn't how I am right now, so that could be part of it.

ヨモギ|イ|チヨウ (yomogiichiyou) - "ドミナント (Dominant)"
Weird but interesting. Unsure how I feel about the vocals though...some of the most unusual vibrato I've heard.

Alt/Indie
androp - "Letter"
Cool, smooth, and something I could dig as a background track while working on something.

Language - "Moonlight"
Could have done without the vocal filter, but other than that, yes please.

mothercoat - "u.n.o"
huh. I don't know. leaning towards liking it, but I'm unsure.

PELICAN FANCLUB - "Chilico"
Shoegaze with some refreshing vocals and some intermingled clean guitar tone. I like-y.

Praha Depart - "Sweet Wave"
I liked it. I'm running out of brain power.

Ropes - "Drive"
I REALLY like the vocals there. I felt like I might like it a bit more if there was something a bit more going on with the instruments though.

井手健介と母船 (Kensuke Ide & His Mothership) - "幽霊の集会 (yurei no shukai)"
I think that this would hit just right if I was in the mood for a song like this. Really only thing hold it back is me, if that makes any sense.

八十八ヶ所巡礼 (88Kasyo Junrei) - "銀河の恥・・・ (ginga no haji...)"
88Kasyo has never really clicked for me and this doesn't change that opinion.

浮遊スル猫 (fuyusuru neko) - "mana"
Nothing particularly mind blowing here, but everything is just so solid that I can't help but like it.

Pop / Idol / Electronic / R&B / Hip-Hop / Other
CHiCO with HoneyWorks - "プライド革命 (Pride Kakumei)"
Solid for an anime opening, but too poppy and sugary for me.

la la larks - "Q and A"
It's a solid SFP song

Menoz - "遥・i m a (haruka i m a)"
To lazy to write something anymore...

phatmans after school - "FR/DAY NIGHT"
A case of crappy electronic bleep bloops ruining a decent song

SHISHAMO - "生きるガール (ikiru girl)"
Cute female pop rock that feels sincere instead of sugary. Take note.

サカナクション (sakanaction) - "years"
Brain is now mush

大野由美子 (Yumiko Ohno) - "Escalator Step"
MAn, and I thought we were going to get away this time without a song that I actively disliked! Guess not. Sounds like an infectious tune you would hear at a theme park that you would want to take a drill to your temple to get it out of your head.

This month seemed pretty solid! Lots of great tracks - at least far more than last year's when I started my quick thoughts. Also, I'm shocked at the amount of VK tracks I dug.

I wasn't crazy about that More single, but everyone talking about it makes me think I should give it another chance. :/

Happy to see you liked the coldrain song too. I am really hoping that Vena will be better than The Revelation now from this song. I loved it! And agree about the new A9 album. If they keep putting out albums like that, I'll be really happy. You could really hear their passion for music again. <3

At first, I don't like More, but they had something that I caught my attention after listening and watching their DVD. Maybe this can happen to you too :)

For coldrain, I do really enjoy The Revelation album, Behind the Curtain and main song was my favorite between other super interesting tracks. But their last work put me a bit down. I think VENA will truly show their potential that got "hidden" on last EP.

Alice Nine really needs more albums like this.

aaa, there's a lot of tracks i liked in the latter sections, and acts i haven't heard of. i'll make sure to leave some reviews for the ones i liked the most later!

Damn, I just realized we have quite a few big name bands this month:
lynch., Gazette, A9, coldrain, Crossfaith, サカナクション, et al.

I'm with you, @doombox. I rarely delete stuff after one listen, but I guess I need to go back and give them another try. I'm all about that @emmny-core

Ito's quick unfiltered thoughts! Watch as I lose my ability to think and describe!

Green = mhmm
Yellow = hmmm
Orange = uhhhhh
Red = uuuugh

StrangerSaid. - "saw.[ss_ver.]/takumi_mix"
I think the song beats around the bush for a bit too long before it hits it's stride, but when it does, man, it's nice. Rarely do I feel the need to be in between, but flgkdag;dfg.

大野由美子 (Yumiko Ohno) - "Escalator Step"
MAn, and I thought we were going to get away this time without a song that I actively disliked! Guess not. Sounds like an infectious tune you would hear at a theme park that you would want to take a drill to your temple to get it out of your head.

Happy to provide you with your least fave track, as well as one that broke your system :D

But srsly, glad you're digging the list overall!

Will be back later with my picks from the list!

Voted on the ones I liked! Here are some thoughts as well:

@@Zeus - "OMINOUS" was certainly the standout of DOGMA too, but I also enjoyed "Deracine".  That lynch. song is solid. I actually prefer it to the newer one.

@@beni - I've known about Antic Cafe since the time I first got into J-music, but never actually tried them. It's a decent track, not for me personally, but I certainly don't understand the stigma surrounding them. A9 is solid too. The Aqua Timez song reminds me of the first hitman reborn OP for some reason. Surprised at your pick for LAST CALIX, going with K-sancore? ヨモギ|イ|チヨウ sounds like a Japanese Royal Blood, except those vocals are uhh...different. ^^; 浮遊スル猫's vocalist is really nice, so good pick on that one. CHiCO sounds like a standard anime pop-rock song, but it's well done. Menoz still reminds me of SebX

@@doombox - JILUKA. This is cool. Don't think I ever tried this band (or even heard of em before o.o). The Kuroyuri song you picked was def the best on the record. Have coldrain always sung in English? MY FIRST STORY is definitely very ONE OK ROCK-ish, but I can dig it. Aren't these bands related somehow? WANIMA sound like if arukara went punk, haha. I vaguely remember coming across Language some years ago. I thought they were an electronic group. Good song either way. SHIHASMO is cute.

@@fitear1590 - Pity about the picture lol. The romance has been ruined! jk jk. Dat violin doe. Can dig. I stopped following androp a while back, but this is pleasant. I can see why you like PELICAN FANCLUB. They really remind of THE NOVEMBERS' lighter stuff. Some really cool sounds in the Yumiko Ohno song, although I'd probably enjoy it more in a specific context.

@@doombox - JILUKA. This is cool. Don't think I ever tried this band (or even heard of em before o.o). The Kuroyuri song you picked was def the best on the record. Have coldrain always sung in English? MY FIRST STORY is definitely very ONE OK ROCK-ish, but I can dig it. Aren't these bands related somehow? WANIMA sound like if arukara went punk, haha. I vaguely remember coming across Language some years ago. I thought they were an electronic group. Good song either way. SHIHASMO is cute.

So happy people are digging this JILUKA track. Looks like they formed in 2013 but I don't didn't hear about them until very recently, either. coldrain have always sung in English. ^_^ I actually can't remember a time I ever heard him sing in Japanese... now that you mention it. MY FIRST STORY and ONE OK ROCK vocalists are brothers. XD So this causes a lot of similarities. Now MFS are carrying the torch for OOR's old style, since recent OOR albums are sounding more globally influenced. Language is kind of all over the place genre-wise. Synth pop, post-rock, indie rock, even some jazzy stuff. 

The only release from August I've heard entirely is SUCCUBUS by THE GALLO and it was a real let down composition-wise but I didn't have high expectations for it to begin with so I'm not too bummed.

As for the songs posted in this thread:

pedo. - This is the shit I live for. It sounds straight out of a horror movie.

Parasite - I'm not big into Jiluka mostly because of the vocals but I kinda dig this. Maybe I'll look into them more?

OMINOUS - I haven't been big into Gazette since Filth in the Beauty but I thought this track was pretty nice. I feel like a lot of Gazette's song sound like it though.

whaaatt i was the only die-hard more fan?!?! i thought they easily put out the best single of the year, and thats just not because of my heavy sugar bias. their guitarist/composer has such an interesting touch, and songs that would usually be stagnant move around a lot more than conventional vk, especially chesire. the piano deathcore breakdown which led to the fast section and back to the chorus was so fucking fun to listen to. loki's vocals are still amazing and he carries great melodies with his pipes

tl;dr LISTEN TO THE MORE SINGLE AGAIN

emmny-core / artkei will NEVAH die

I'll guess I'll start with how glad I am that Alice Nine made the list so thanks @Beni because I thought that whole album was pretty good and was excited for their comeback. My favorite on the mini was "Freesia no Saku Basho" but overall I loved all songs and can't wait to hear what they come up with next.

Like their last mini Jiluka have produced another rock solid album and I loved everything about it. I think @doombox that you chose the best song on the mini but I think it was pretty much consistent the whole way through.

@Zeus Honestly I'm just loving Lynch and the the Gazette picks seeing as they were such great songs. I like the ominous and multi-layered musical piece that is "Ominous" and as always I felt Lynch brought a good single to the floor with Evoke.

As far as my picks I would say

1)Mejibray - Venoms, kairi, until.., because that assortment of songs in the way that they are situated mashes so well together and gives me all I need from the band Mejibray at this point in my life.

2)yougenkyou -WEST- Vol.2 ~Osaka・Nagoya rengou~ V.A which had some pretty good bands on it. Especially, cocoon feat. hal - fate, follow pinocchio, FEST VAINQUEUR - ZERO-デウス・エクス・マキナ(deus ex machina)-, and The 3rd Birthday - The ROOM. All exceptionally good songs on this V.A album

3)The black swan - kagune -justitia-, whichthe instrumentals itself is what caught my attention on this track, the solo is pretty nice.

4)the Gazette - Dogma, Deracine, Incubus, Deux, Ominous...I would explaine why but yeah....

THE END

My august's personal tastes.

megamasso - snowy blue

I could listen to it on repeat, i will still enjoy this song each time. Every part are so attractive.

MEJIBRAY - VENOMS

I love the entire EP, that was a success for me, but the title song could stuck in my head for days with its chorus "NEXT VENOMOUSS (lol)..kokorooooohooo"

The GazettE - DOGMA (album)

some songs stands more than others, but overall I'm enjoying it. It's kinda brootal but still very melodic, very gazetto, I think it's well well done. The title song blown me away tbh (and I was skeptical on the video previews).