SUBLIMINAL

What video games are you currently playing?

I recently started a new save on Borderlands, playing with my brother and two friends. I liked its singleplayer, but this took the game to new heights. Fun alone, great with friends. Looking forward to finishing this game and start on Borderlands 2 with them.

Playing some R-Type games recently...

I have to say, that whole ''the entire stage is just you gradually tearing a giant enemy battleship apart piece by piece''' level type is one of my favorite shmup tropes

Edited by Tokage

12 hours ago, Bear said:

I recently started a new save on Borderlands, playing with my brother and two friends. I liked its singleplayer, but this took the game to new heights. Fun alone, great with friends. Looking forward to finishing this game and start on Borderlands 2 with them.

Borderlands is definitely one of the best co-op FPS games :D you found a good one for sure.

I remember sitting down and playing borderlands 1 couch co-op with a buddy of mine back in the day, and it was so much fun we literally sat on that couch all night until the next morning playing, was probably like a 13-15 hour session or some shit... it overall is one of my fondest memories in co-op gaming right next to all the Super Smash Bros and 007: Golden Eye overnight sessions me and my childhood friends had.

I'm currently tearing into Uncharted 4 and my god this game is a technical marvel I swear. Naughty Dog must have some god damn coding/programming wizards over there or something because this fucking thing just runs and looks too good... you could show this game to some random gamer who knows nothing about uncharted and I'm most certain they would mistake it for a PC game graphics wise and performance wise as well. Other than that the story has been on point, and I have to say they have done a damn good job making the game feel like your playing a movie without feeling like your not in control or that you're sitting through a lot of cut scenes, the game cinematic wise is just terrific. Game play has overall improved ten fold over the last game, platforming is much more smooth  and complex when it comes to how you can move, also the grappling hook mechanic adds a whole new dimension to platforming and even combat as well. Speaking of combat that shit feels amazing, what I mean is the guns are just so nice feeling... in past games the guns always felt a bit unrealistic and maybe a bit arcade-y but here they have definitely gone with the realistic approach and every gun feels unique and  also sounds real for that matter as well.. which brings us to the sound design, absolutely spectacular, not only are the sound effects just on point but the soundtrack/score has been positively delightful, and then the voice work is just on a whole another level. The dynamic between Nolan North and Troy Baker is something to marvel at, not only are they both what most people consider the two leading protag voice actors in the industry, but they both are veterans in the trade as well, and when they come together in this game as Nathan Drake (Nolan North) and Samuel Drake (Troy Baker) as reunited brothers I can attest this is what I would call magic.

Having seen the universal praise for Uncharted 4, I've become convinced that I need to play it. I suck at shooters (and as a consequence, I don't like them very much), but I was able to get through stuff like Tomb Raider with minimal problems so I should be OK. But I want to play 1-3 first so I guess I'll pick up the collection.  .... by the time I get through those, Uncharted 4 will be down to $10 lol.

Edited by peffy

18 minutes ago, peffy said:

Having seen the universal praise for Uncharted 4, I've become convinced that I need to play it. I suck at shooters (and as a consequence, I don't like them very much), but I was able to get through stuff like Tomb Raider with minimal problems so I should be OK. But I want to play 1-3 first so I guess I'll pick up the collection.  .... by the time I get through those, Uncharted 4 will be down to $10 lol.

The collection is totally worth it, great remasters. Also don't worry about difficulty, you can just turn down the difficulty slider to a setting that's more your pace and just enjoy the game story wise from there on out :)

Just beat Tales of Zestiria. That was an exhausting experience. I was tired of playing it (some great characters, but everything else was varying degrees of shitty), so I ran through the final dungeon as fast as possible. The last boss managed to give me two game overs (yes, even on the easiest difficulty) until I looked up a strategy. Grrrr.

I thought the story would make sense because I played in English (I think this is my first English Tales since the SNES Phantasia fansub) .. but no, there was just a lot of vague chatter about.. something like having to do things for the right reason, otherwise Sorey would be corrupted?? And I was totally confused by the ending, until I googled up some people's discussion of it. .. maybe I'm just getting too ADD to pay close attention to the dialogue & cutscenes.. (also, didn't help that it took me 7 weeks to finish it.. kept forgetting 'minor' details)

Anyway, glad that's over with.

But, oh no! I still have to play the Alisha DLC. =_=

3 minutes ago, peffy said:

Just beat Tales of Zestiria. That was an exhausting experience. I was tired of playing it (some great characters, but everything else was varying degrees of shitty), so I ran through the final dungeon as fast as possible. The last boss managed to give me two game overs (yes, even on the easiest difficulty) until I looked up a strategy. Grrrr.

I thought the story would make sense because I played in English (I think this is my first English Tales since the SNES Phantasia fansub) .. but no, there was just a lot of vague chatter about.. something like having to do things for the right reason, otherwise Sorey would be corrupted?? And I was totally confused by the ending, until I googled up some people's discussion of it. .. maybe I'm just getting too ADD to pay close attention to the dialogue & cutscenes.. (also, didn't help that it took me 7 weeks to finish it.. kept forgetting 'minor' details)

Anyway, glad that's over with.

But, oh no! I still have to play the Alisha DLC. =_=

lol good for you, I never finished it myself... just couldn't bring myself to go back to it, after taking a break xD I got pretty far though and yeah  it wasn't that good. I hoping that Berseria can redeem the series.

I'm currently still playing Zestiria. I can't comment much on the story as of yet but the problems I've encountered are mainly technical issues. While there are some graphical glitches that can easily be look past, two big things are unforgivable; locked 30fps and atrocious camera angles in the battle system. Both are very noticeable. When you see things move from a distance, the game sometimes skips frames on moving NPCs. The camera though, my gosh, this has got to be the worst camera angles I've seen in a Tales franchise. When you fight in tight spaces, the camera attempts to zoom in beyond first person making it impossible to see what you're doing. There were a few times where the camera was zoomed on to Sorey's feet. Aside from that, I'm still somewhat enjoying the game. At this point, I'm probably more than half way done since I've gone through all the spiritual element trials. :)

3 hours ago, Flame-X said:

locked 30fps and atrocious camera angles in the battle system. Both are very noticeable. When you see things move from a distance, the game sometimes skips frames on moving NPCs. 

The frame rate never bothered me. (Then again, I played Witcher 3 on PS4 and just got amused when it dipped to ~15-20 fps) ..I guess you are playing on PC since you mention that it's locked?  But yes, the battle camera is really bad. I would be completely blinded because the camera got stuck on a door or wall (all I could see was a vibrating mess of glowy effects and some piece of the monster). And to make it worse, I would subconsciously move the right stick to fix it, but in battles that just gives commands to the other party members. Then I'd be like "Why aren't the other people attacking!!?" without realizing I had ordered them to defend.

The good news is, it sounds like Berseria will return to having separate battle areas, so the camera problem won't be an issue.

Yes I'm mostly a PC gamer. Berseria looks promising but I'm gonna be cautiously optimistic.

One thing I noticed  with the Tales franchise is that they have a terrible track record for memorable OSTs. There hasn't been a single Tales soundtrack that was worth the listen. Do any you guys feel the same? I'm curious to know. :|

32 minutes ago, Flame-X said:

Yes I'm mostly a PC gamer. Berseria looks promising but I'm gonna be cautiously optimistic.

One thing I noticed  with the Tales franchise is that they have a terrible track record for memorable OSTs. There hasn't been a single Tales soundtrack that was worth the listen. Do any you guys feel the same? I'm curious to know. :|

I don't remember anything from the Tales soundtracks. 

I have heard that, for Zestiria, the composer was specifically asked to make a low-key soundtrack... maybe this is what happened to the other games.

On 5/12/2016 at 4:51 PM, peffy said:

LOL I am gonna be doing the same thing!

On 2016-05-12 at 0:11 AM, Original Saku said:

The collection is totally worth it, great remasters. Also don't worry about difficulty, you can just turn down the difficulty slider to a setting that's more your pace and just enjoy the game story wise from there on out :)

Got the collection and Uncharted 4 for a really good price today. I am about an hour into ''drakes fortune'' and I am loving it~

I started Clock Tower 3 yesterday and it's such a short game I could've probably finished it in one day, but I had to sleep. Will most likely finish it today instead. It definitely reminds me a lot of Haunting Ground/Demento, which released later and based the gameplay off on Clock Tower 3. However, Clock Tower 3 is not as challenging and the villains aren't even half as scary as Daniella. I hated her so much while playing Haunting Ground/Demento! But she was a very important factor in the scare element. Clock Tower 3 seems rather weak in comparison to Haunting Ground/Demento, but it's fun to play because I love retro survival horrors when it was more puzzle-y and less action-based.

3 hours ago, plastic_rainbow said:

I started Clock Tower 3 yesterday and it's such a short game I could've probably finished it in one day, but I had to sleep. Will most likely finish it today instead. It definitely reminds me a lot of Haunting Ground/Demento, which released later and based the gameplay off on Clock Tower 3. However, Clock Tower 3 is not as challenging and the villains aren't even half as scary as Daniella. I hated her so much while playing Haunting Ground/Demento! But she was a very important factor in the scare element. Clock Tower 3 seems rather weak in comparison to Haunting Ground/Demento, but it's fun to play because I love retro survival horrors when it was more puzzle-y and less action-based.

Always wanted to play those games, but fuck I shit my pants with games where we can't defend ourselves properly. I can blaze through resident evil, silent hill and every other game where you have a chance to fight back, but in games like Clock Tower, Outlast, Amnesia i'm freaking hopeless, lol

2 hours ago, chemicalpictures said:

Always wanted to play those games, but fuck I shit my pants with games where we can't defend ourselves properly. I can blaze through resident evil, silent hill and every other game where you have a chance to fight back, but in games like Clock Tower, Outlast, Amnesia i'm freaking hopeless, lol

For me, I tend to like the defenseless types more mainly because I'm horrible at action games, especially shooting/aiming. xD I'm getting better each time I play, but I wouldn't say I'm a pro. I haven't played Amnesia or Outlast yet, but I'd say the Clock Tower series isn't so difficult, though it may still be scary for some people.

Edited by plastic_rainbow

2 hours ago, SUBLIMINAL said:

Dragon's Dogma on PC, finally! I played the hell out of this on console, hundreds of hours, but the PC version is without a doubt the definitive version.

Oh man you reminded me that I need to get back to my PC playthrough, I stopped back in late march due to Dark Souls release... but yes DD is so good, and the PC port was really well done. I really hope Capcom will consider making a proper sequel that is not a MMO, or hell I don't even care if it's a MMO just localize if here please :D

After quickly finishing up Clock Tower 3 I started up on Michigan: Report from Hell (never released in USA, playing the Europe version on emulator). It's another PS2 survival horror, except unlike most games you play as a cameraman filming everything.

cin36.jpg 19.jpg

Seeing strange screenshots like these had me interested and made me wonder what the heck the game was about. While it does take a different approach towards survival horror, the game has some of the worst voice acting ever with cheesy af lines I want to shoot myself. The voices are so empty and it seems like they're reading off a script, ugh. I'm not even sure why I'm still playing this. I guess, I don't want to miss some of the good fucked up shit you always find in a survival horror.

18 minutes ago, plastic_rainbow said:

After quickly finishing up Clock Tower 3 I started up on Michigan: Report from Hell (never released in USA, playing the Europe version on emulator). It's another PS2 survival horror, except unlike most games you play as a cameraman filming everything.

cin36.jpg 19.jpg

Seeing strange screenshots like these had me interested and made me wonder what the heck the game was about. While it does take a different approach towards survival horror, the game has some of the worst voice acting ever with cheesy af lines I want to shoot myself. The voices are so empty and it seems like they're reading off a script, ugh. I'm not even sure why I'm still playing this. I guess, I don't want to miss some of the good fucked up shit you always find in a survival horror.

OMG i watched Dan's Gaming play this game last year live on twitch for horror month and it's probably the funniest let's play of a survival horror game ever xD  the voice acting is terribad :lol: just watch it instead of putting yourself through the torture of playing it.

2 minutes ago, Original Saku said:

OMG i watched Dan's Gaming play this game last year live on twitch for horror month and it's probably the funniest let's play of a survival horror game ever xD  the voice acting is terribad :lol: just watch it instead of putting yourself through the torture of playing it.

Hehe thanks, but I'm kinda the type who prefers to play than watching. I'm all for the experience.

Been playing Gundam Dynasty Warriors Reborn with the @CAT5-sama for a while now and I'm loving how much content there is in it. Already beat the official mode and almost all of the scenarios, but there's even more to do with replay value and leveling up/suit customizing. Too bad even I can notice they had left out a lot of worthy characters to include, including suits of course, but as a dynasty game, just can't get enough of it!