beni

The Glorious RPG Appreciation Thread

I just finished playing Trails of Cold Steel.  I'm so angry. That ending was atrocious. Well, it wasn't even an ending, it was a "to be continued, please buy the sequel".

Also, I hated the final battle

Spoiler

Had no idea there would be mechs in this game. I am really turned off/bored by mechs. That's on me for not researching this series before I bought it.

Anyway, the game clocked me at 90 hours for one playthrough. I'm not sure how it took me that long. 

I'm debating whether or not I should do the second playthrough to get the platinum. Although I hated several things about this game, there's a lot that I really liked.

Laura <3

15 hours ago, peffy said:

I'm debating whether or not I should do the second playthrough to get the platinum. Although I hated several things about this game, there's a lot that I really liked.

You do it for the ratchets trophies! lol

I never pegged you for a Kiseki series fan. I always seen the series to be lackluster, but I've never actually played it. Would you recommend?

1 hour ago, YuyoDrift said:

You do it for the ratchets trophies! lol

I never pegged you for a Kiseki series fan. I always seen the series to be lackluster, but I've never actually played it. Would you recommend?

I'm not a fan, this was the very first game in the series that I ever played, and will probably be the last. I liked the battle system.. kind of reminds me of a mix between Final Fantasy X (turn based & you can see the order of upcoming turns) and Chrono Trigger (positional attacks). I've seen people recommend the series because of the story & characters. But I stupidly picked up the Japanese version, so some parts of the political/military aspects were lost on me. Also, it probably has more resonance if you'd played the previous games. 

I super hated the pacing, though.. you can be stuck clicking through 30 minute cutscenes/dialogue, and doing a series of super boring fetch quests in between combat dungeons/field areas. I got to the point where I was like "I don't fucking care why your cat's missing, I'm not going to read 5 minutes worth of pointless chit-chat just to accept the quest, I'm going to skip all of this and use a walkthrough to complete it."

However, some people really like that part of the game. *shrug* I've seen this particular game compared to Persona 4, because of the school setting and somewhat similar "social links" mechanic.

Edited by peffy

Less than one month now before Fire Emblem Fates arrives over here. Got all my pairings ready to support to the heavens and looking forward to just having three games in one. While I've heard bad things on the plot as I was expecting, I'm still excited and know it'll be well worth all the time I put into it and will be super enjoyable, combat wise and character wise. Awakening is one of the few games I can spam and replay all day long, so adding three more routes/stories alongside it pretty much the same gameplay and what looks like even better/lovable characters is making me so impatient.

I had been thinking of doing a thread specifically for the franchise/3DS players, but I'll just ask here for the time being: anyone got either game and want to exchange friend codes/my castle address? It's an awkward adding system where both need each others' info to add, and not much luck happened with the few I've seen in the ids/gamertags thread.

I don't usually like Western RPGs, especially those such as Skyrim, the open world ones. However, I've been really addicted to Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. I've always been interested in similar games like Fable, so I was happy to have got this for a really good price with how much you can do with it. Honestly, it's overwhelming, but still so worth all your time! Gotta love being a female carrying around a huge ass Greatsword/Claymore. /O/ So many choices and customization, yet the story and battle system is still so complimentary!

I pretty much only got a load of RPGs for my birthday in which I've played bits here and there of them all. Reckoning got most of my attention, almost all of it really, aha. Most of my loving has gone towards Natural Doctirine (in which surprised me because I hated how the whole tactics look appeared on the PS3. It's my one dislike in which I can only ignore with Disgaea, but I'm getting used to it having played it three times now) and Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together. I loved how both looked, but ND wasn't what I was expecting and I can't explain why, and Tactics Ogre looks, sounds and feels gorgeous in its aesthetics, but having played it a good few hours too, I need a break. Mana Khemia: Student Alliance looks so promising (instant new fav character: Flay. Mah man), while Lord of Arcana was so much fun for the first playthrough, until I realized how similar it is to the Monster Hunter mechanics, which I never even liked, and I have three games of it. >.> I still love your character customization. And while your weapon handling is a lot more of a chore, and repetitive even, I can still play this in short bursts.

I'm now excited in getting in more time in Breath of Fire III and Blazing Souls Accelerate (that main guy, Zelos, man. Fact that Troy Baker voices him too. *fans self*).