colorful人生

Virtual Reality Thread (VR Race of 2016)

Hi guys! So considering this is going to be the year of Virtual Reality headsets, I feel inclined to go ahead and start a thread.

(I was initially hesitant since I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with this platform, but it's been such a huge topic in tech news.)

gear-vr-s6-300x200.jpg

While I haven't messed with Oculus' first and second development kits, I have owned the Innovator Edition of Gear VR for almost a year now. It's served as one of my main media-consumption devices since I use it to watch videos (anime, 3D movies, etc.), play VR games, and use a plethora of apps. Even using a roundabout process, I've also managed to use it with PC games like Portal 2 (via nvidia gamestream and tridef).

Here is just a small example showing Oculus Video on GVR (previously known as Oculus Cinema) playing a DIV MV.

(Keep in mind I was streaming this over wifi, so there's jitters here and there):

Tell me if you want to see more (exciting) content!

---

Now, this year (and the following) with the HTC Vive, Oculus CE, Razer OSVR, Playsation VR, and other upcoming headsets, there is going to be
this "VR War" that is almost reminiscent of the late 80's - early 90's console war. Each headset has different specs and different content that 
aren't necessarily cross-compatible. Companies are going to butt heads when it comes to price point, FOV, PPI, etc. when it comes to their
releases and iterations.

Has anyone else had experiences (or lack of) with Virtual Reality and want to offer their thoughts/predictions?
If you're intending to purchase one in the future what type of content would you like to see?

Edit: I think I've covered enough. I also forgot to mention that Gear VR is for the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and is part of Samsung's mobile
VR lineup (including the Galaxy S6 and Note 5 in all of their varieties.) So far there are mostly desktop VR headsets that try and allow for 
more mobility. Mobile VR like what I have (targeted toward more "casual" consumers), has started to become a focus since you don't have

to necessarily be in one spot. There's also augmented reality like Microsoft's Holo lens, but that's in its early stages.

Really surprised to see a thread like this here. I guess that's a sign that VR is really starting to spread around. I've been following VR since the Oculus Kickstarter days and will be getting PSVR day one I'm sure. I've waited so long for this! Actually I think it would be a dream to have our very own VR Jrock video room when the technology takes off in a few years.

As far as things I want to see in the future? I've had many ideas. Jrpg's, Virtual novels, Virtual Card games like yugioh, DBZ in VR, Pokemon in VR, etc. I'm also kind of interested in sporting events or concerts too.