Sign in to follow this  
beni

Quality Voice Acting: The Good and the Bad of Dubbing and Engrish

The topic for the very best and the very worst of both dubs and Engrish. This can be for any form of entertainment, be it anime, movies/TV, games, the lot. Whenever you have a comment about any voice acting, feel free to laugh and hate on it right here.

Discovering the stupidest YT videos possible is one of my favourite pastimes, and looking into voice acting isn't any different, especially dub work.

I have no idea what this is but it's beautiful.

You can't leave out anime in this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKo82gKwBXE

I applaud any usage of Engrish in anime, period.

There's also a YTber anime reviewer who reviewed both Mars of Destruction and Super Kid as the worst animes and showed what should be crowned as the most monotone death moments of any show anywhere. Wish I could rediscover it.

Some other personal favourites outside of YouTube I discovered by watching are: 

Having just watched Jackie Chan's Drunken Master, the dub not fitting their mouth movement made the fighting even funnier. Bless them.

I wish I could locate Jdrama videos that have such funny coverage of well known actors/actresses trying to speak English.

Anyway, if those above I do find I'll be sure to post. If you already know of any goodies, feel free to share and enjoy with us.

Sean Schemmel is the best thing that has happened to Goku. I can't stand DBZ in Japanese (actually one of the few subs which I hate) where Goku is voiced by a woman and still sounds like he's six years old.

Sean Schemmel is the best thing that has happened to Goku. I can't stand DBZ in Japanese (actually one of the few subs which I hate) where Goku is voiced by a woman and still sounds like he's six years old.

I was always partial to the original ocean Dub for DBZ that lasted from the start until around the middle of the Frieza saga. I thought all of the voices were distinct and animated - Brian Dummond's Vegeta was particularly amazing!

Okay, imo Ghost Stories is the best english dub ever, but not because of particularly talented voice actors, but because the voice over script crew thought the plot of the anime was already fucking stupid and thus decided to make a complete mockery of it. The whole anime is absolute gold, but here are the best parts:

I literally can't even watch this shit without laughing my ass off. Every time. The jokes never get old. Brilliant scripting.

How can people not appreciate Masako Nozawa? Like to even say that the English voice actor for goku is better than the great Nozawa is blasphemy, she is literally a living legend in the voice acting world. People who say it's because she's a woman are stupid and don't know the first thing about good voice acting.  /rant

some of the worst voice acting I've ever heard or rather the worst localization I've ever seen is most definitely Digimon Adventures. Watch this video and you will never look at digimon the same again, the English dub pretty much destroyed the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m4gksdBEdE

Okay, imo Ghost Stories is the best english dub ever, but not because of particularly talented voice actors, but because the voice over script crew thought the plot of the anime was already fucking stupid and thus decided to make a complete mockery of it. The whole anime is absolute gold, but here are the best parts:

I literally can't even watch this shit without laughing my ass off. Every time. The jokes never get old. Brilliant scripting.

came here to mention ghost stories too lol!

The first thing that popped up in my head was Dragon Ball: The Magic Begins, an unofficial live-action film produced in 1991. The film is complete trash, but it's good trash and the awful english dub helps make it even better. It's one of the films you just has to watch dubbed.

Now I always watch films and series with their original language, but I have rewatched a lot of asian martial arts/samurai films with an English dub over the years. Now, what makes a lot of these dubs so god damn good is the accent they often put on. It's rather poorly dubbed and all that, but it has it's charm and works awfully well with good exploitation martial arts flicks such as The Street Fighter series, Lone Wolf and Cub/Shogun Assassin and so on.

Besides Ghost stories

and shaman King

Code Geass belongs in hell though

some of the worst voice acting I've ever heard or rather the worst localization I've ever seen is most definitely Digimon Adventures. Watch this video and you will never look at digimon the same again, the English dub pretty much destroyed the show.

Oh Saku. If you think the English dub is the worst localization you have NOT heard the Finnish one. Shoutout to all 90's Finnish kids and Agapio Racing Team! You babes know what I'm talking about. Though I will not put it here, simply because it's in Finnish and even though you would totally hear the most awful voice acting, you could not hear the slaughter the voiceover team made of the original script. I mean it's a massacre.

Ehh, seems like Digimon Adventure was dubbed pretty horribly everywhere 8"D

Sign in to follow this