Sign in to follow this  
blackdoll

Rate The Song! Next Song: Himesh Reshammiya, Kanika Kapoor - ISHQ SAMUNDAR

the person below rates the song above scoring out of ten with the option of a short to long explanation of why. since the other 'rate' threads died (by Zess and I). Here hopefully you can expose people to your music or answer any curiosity to what someone else might think of a song. Use spoilers if you can to keep it running smoothly. Love you guys :lleft::lovely:  :lright:

Spoiler
Edited by blackdoll

4minute - Canvas

ah, Kpop is kinda outside of my wheelhouse, but I do find it to be really fun and vibrant in general. There are a few Kpop-heads that attend our dubtracks sessions (@zombiesatemycereal, @The MAD Stallion, and @stylelover), and these guys have exposed me to a lot of stuff. I don't generally remember too much of it, but I always find it enjoyable in passing and definitely fun to jam to. That's more or less my case with this song as well. The production style was very noticeably influenced by an American producer...I forgot his name, but he's done a lot of beats for popular artists in the U.S. (maybe the guy who did the beat for Iggy's 'fancy'? idk). That short synth-bass and the snap/clap seem to have become really trendy. Whatever the case, it's cool to hear Korea assimilate this sound (i'm still surprised that Japan hasn't really caught on to it yet). Definitely not something I'd put on for myself, but well done for what it is. I can't point out any negatives beyond it just not being something that resonates too much with me on a personal level.

I give this a 7/10   :_7/10_:

NEXT SONG: me-al art - 男女イニュニック

me-al art - 男女イニュニック

There's this quite familiar trait most alt. rock (especially female-fronted) bands hailing from Japan are sporting - soaring, bass-heavy and dynamic arrangement headed by melodramatic vocalcraft. This tune encompasses formerly mentioned attributes pretty well, and might be nicely fit for representing the "essence" of Japanese alt. rock scene - what makes it really different from acts molded into our Western ethos. I could imagine this being a crossover between AYA and Karasu (Konno band) if I never got a glimpse of me-al's art and practice. I particularly enjoyed that sudden Sugizo-ian contribution during the c-part (solo)! I will definitely look back into this once I manage to slice some time for auditory pleasures

:_9/10_:

Next song is not necessary Azn but nonetheless astoundingly inspiring from a Japanese POV. City Pop/Lamp's Jazz pop aficionados, brace yourselves:

Ned Doheny - Valentine (I Was Wrong About You)

Ned Doheny - Valentine (I Was Wrong About You)

This is gorgeous. Classic style 70s So-Cal pop in the vein of Beach Boys, Denny Doherty/Mamas & Papas, and a lil Joni Mitchell-y. Some breezy guitar strums and lush strings arranged by, after a quick google, the arranger from Streisand's cover of Stony End - which this track evokes a little. The end of bar blues scale piano licks and plodding bass give the track a firm pacing, which layer nicely with the strings and his vocal timbre. Also the first track on the album, Get It Up For Love, is an all time classic (and fave of Shiina Ringo). 

:_10/10_:

Susanne Sundfør - "Accelerate"

Funny, @herpes actually recommended me this album last year, and I remember giving it a listen, but not being as enamored with it as he was. It was well done, interesting, and even fairly expansive for a pop album, but it just didn't grab me much. Fast-forward to a few weeks ago, @Jigsaw9 played this exact song in dubtracks, and it felt like I'd heard it then for the first time. Fantastically sinister synth-pop with moving melodies, a driving beat, and spot-on female vocals. I dig this song enough that I'm gonna have to revisit the album!

9/10! :_9/10_:

NEXT SONG: D'espairsRay - 闇に降る奇跡

D'espairsRay - 闇に降る奇跡

It's definitely a nice or good song. The instrumental is soft like a ballad while having some other things go on something you would expect in vk or very vk. The vocals were fitting and nice delivered how they were suppose to, but not over the top doing the most. However it does kind of drags on which is a minus. Anyway i liked it. 

:_7/10_:

NEXT SONG: 10cm - 담배왕 스모킹

10cm - 담배왕 스모킹

I know of 10cm but haven't gone out of my way to really give a listen as of yet so thank you for this. I am in favor of some Korean music now and then, but this sort isn't usually my cup of tea so this is great exposure. I do enjoy the tempo of the song though, and the singer's voice is surprisingly lush and sensual in some parts. There's a lot of different sounds implemented in a rather short song that just scrapes the two minute mark, with what sounds like Latin influenced parts like the instrumental bit that brings me back to Enrique Iglesias. It's fun and groovy in the best way.

7.5/10  :_7.5/10_:

NEXT SONG: 秘密結社パンピー (Okayu San & Hakkun) - RPG

Apologies for the rather bad quality

秘密結社パンピー (Okayu San & Hakkun) - RPG

It's great chill song. I like how it's low key soft but kind of has this hardness with the riffage. The whipher/talk/rap(?) was nicely done, not to long or with a distracting voice, it kind of blended in so you could also here the nice instrumental that was going on in the song. Also it was just the right duration, not to long or short. When the chouros came on i was happy to see the singer was kind of unique with a lovely voice. And the guitar solo was sweet, not shouting "i can fucking shred." Really nice listen.

:_8/10_:

NEXT SONG: Charly Blacks & J Capri - Wine & Kotch

NEXT SONG: Charly Blacks & J Capri - Wine & Kotch

I was hanging out here with a couple of my good friends and since I was browsing the forums here I put this song on for us.  Pretty mtuch an excellent song, though we are not familiar with the Jamacain (?) scene we all loved it alot.  The rythym and flow are on point, the song is dripping with flavor.  It's the perfect thing to listen to while drinking and hanging out, it will definitely get you hyped.  Our only complaint which isn't a major one is we have no idea what "Wine and Kotch" means.  All in all though, absolutely excellent, 8/10.

My song:  

m-flo loves Emyli & YOSHIKA - Loop in My Heart

Making this very short since I am very familiar with m-flo's "loves"-era (which is frankly enough their best, hip hop-era comes very close though). Beats are dope, that funk hook is lovely, female vox give their own charm but regarding VERBAL...as much as I dig his "sidekick" shticks with normal vocalists, his later EDM-tier lack of rhymecraft is kind of showing here. Other than that, fond '05 nostalgia and definitely one of the most memorable releases a la J-pop off that year in general (since mid-00s pastiches a la Hana Kimi-soundtrack youngins are something I semi-abhor).

Next song:

Midori - Sayonara, Perfect World

Midori - Sayonara, Perfect World

I remember a friend linking me midori's 'romantic natsu mode' PV either sometime in late 06 or early 07, and I was completely fascinated by how wild and crazy I found it at the time. I remember not being able to find their music online, so I imported their album "first" just a month or two before they released their second album, and I was just completely smitten. Sadly, by the time 'Sayonara, Perfect World' was released (in 2010), my fascination with midori had long ended and my interest and my...disinterest in them was solidified with the release of their final album. Something about this song just doesn't sit right with me - It almost sounds like the band is simply going through the motions and not really playing with soul or intent any more. I have no idea if that's the case, but there's something less exuberant and less captivating here. I've never been a fan of Mariko Goto's "singing", and while I know part of her disregard for tact is a part of her charm, her singing during the chorus of this song is so off-key that it's distracting for me. I do like the bass and chaotic drums in the song, though.

5/10 :_5/10_:

NEXT SONG: 八十八ヶ所巡礼 - 悟ri+time

八十八ヶ所巡礼 - 悟ri+time

Definitely one of the stronger tracks on SYG88, which itself is one of 88kasyo's strongest albums. I find its predecessor (ano世love) to be slightly underwhelming overall, but 悟ri+time quickly steps things up with some trademark 88kasyo craziness. Interestingly, though, this is a track that I almost never go out of my way to listen to; I only ever tend to listen to it within the context of the album or when I'm just shuffling. I'm not entirely sure why that is, exactly. Anyway, the track itself leans much more towards 88kasyo's "in your face batshit crazy" side than their "psychedelic yet oddly subdued" side, and I think that's something the album really needed after a rather tame opening. Solid stuff.

4/5

NEXT SONG: toe - Two Moons

toe - Two Moons

First let me say interesting choice, i wasn't expecting a instrumental track. It's actually better this way because i feel like a vocalist would have tried to hard and ruined it. Instead its a nice chill track that you could listen to  before  bed. It is written really well with that guitar and that sonic sound . With the drums here in there. Not bad at all

Next song: Himesh Reshammiya, Kanika Kapoor -  ISHQ SAMUNDAR

Spoiler

Edited by blackdoll

Sign in to follow this