Sign in to follow this  
Lestat

Sleaze Rock / Glam Rock / Hair Metal

Surprisingly I haven't found a thread on this particular movement (the origins of Visual Kei!) yet, and I believe it very well deserves its own place as I am aware there are several people who enjoy it.

Any of these genres (if you want to call them such, controversies, you know) may be lumped together and is usually referred to in general as hair metal. Spawning from hell's smothering depths in the early 80's, hair metal began to gain popularity as many bands began to imitate the eccentric looks of Sweet, David Bowie, Alice Cooper and KISS, only to combine them with an off-the-rails attitude forwarded in music revolving mostly around the common sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll. Looks range from shocking attires and dark images (W.A.S.P., Mötley Crüe, Wrathchild U.K.), a simpler look involving not too much makeup and extravagant outfits (Tesla, Skid Row, Whitesnake), something I would call 'womanizer bands' with guys often simply looking to show off their attitude (L.A. Guns, Faster Pussycat, Roxx Gang), to downright feminine-looking bands where you can't make left from right (Pretty Boy Floyd, Tigertailz, Poison). 

Hair metal didn't change much during the 80's, however most people believed it to already be heading downwards with the popular names of Bon Jovi and Poison which arose somewhere in the mid-80's. The metal subsided and a more acceptable hard rock sound took its place, making it more or less radio-friendly. (I honestly do not mind if an album comes from '81 or '89, it all sounds good to me.) With the 90's in sight, hair metal took a decline in popularity as grunge faced an uprising with the names of Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots and Soundgarden. Many bands changed their appearance and sounds and it was soon that the movement took a dive and many bands disappeared, or altered themselves so that they became almost unrecognizable. There were of course still groups who stuck to what they knew, but a lot of the lesser known names suffered the inescapable fate of being smothered by the public's new interest. 

It was in the mid-00's that glam metal took on a new form. Namely on Scandinavian grounds, young groups began to form and relive the 'good old days' of party-rock. CRASHDÏET, Hardcore Superstar, Babylon Bombs, Vains Of Jenna and Reckless Love (to name a few) raised up out of nowhere and breathed new life into the mix. Although as of late, the flame seems to be simmering on a low frequency again, as not many new bands seem to rise up anymore and they are mostly the pre-existing ones that continue to release new material, also in new jackets, as young boys grow up.

Please use this thread to share anything reminiscent to this music. Whether it's a hidden gem from the early 80's or a band that just took form. I have been meaning to dive back into my first love, and this seems a nice way to pick it back up again.

Does The Darkness count? They're legendary if you ask me, they were a favourite during Winter time with their popular festive tune called Christmas Time (Don't Let The Bells End). New groove is this one I just recently checked out:

But 'I Believe In A Thing Called Love' IS love. U-U Classic.

Good to see you go through with this thread. (y)

I'm not a big fan at all and don't know shit about it, but here's some stuff I appreciate

Alice Cooper - Trash

Quiet Riot - Mental Health

Ratt - Out of the Cellar

Pantera - Metal Magic

Pantera - Projects in the Jungle

Pantera - I Am the Night

W.A.S.P. - W.A.S.P.
W.A.S.P. - The Headless Children
W.A.S.P. - The Crimson Idol

Kiss - Destroyer

Kiss - Rock and Roll Over

Kiss - Love Gun

Stryper - Soldiers Under Command

These W.A.S.P. and Kiss albums probably doesn't belong in this thread, but fuck that, I'll include them anyway since most people think of both bands when thinking of glam rock/metal. A bit insecure about Stryper, but they're heavily connected to the genre too. And the title track is fucking immense!

Hanoi Rocks are basically essential listening for anyone not familiar with glam or sleaze rock. While some people lump them in with hair metal bands, their sound is much more punk rock/rock n roll, and it’s timeless, fun and eclectic. They also inspired some of the biggest bands from the hair metal scene, like Guns N Roses, Motley Crue, etc.

While Tesla were fairly successful, I always feel like they don’t get enough love, so I was really happy to see Lestat mention them in the intro post for this thread.

Bang Tango are a hidden gem, IMO. Love the dark, funky vibe they had on the “Dancin on Coals” album in particular. Joe LeSte used to have such a sexy voice. It's a shame that he's such a wreck these days.

Weird coincidence: apparently the guy that's been making a documentary about Bang Tango for the past few years just released it for free online last month.

It gets a little heavy handed trying to make you believe that they're not a hair metal band and that Love After Death is a lost masterpiece (it's really not that hard to find now that the internet exists), and it's sad to watch Joe slowly deteriorate as the video gets more current, but wow, that early live footage is great.

Resurrecting this thread after some notes in random thoughts. 

I’ve always leaned so much towards sUBHUMAN rACE and in all honesty I think it might be my primary Skid Row album. Listening to this for the first time was an introductory experience with grittier music. ‘Into Another’, ‘Eileen’, ‘Breakin’ Down’ and the face smashing ‘Beat Yourself Blind’ are among favourites — the tone they set with this was just dark and heavy and I loved it. 

Sign in to follow this