blackdoll

Bands that could have been the best (they had some really good freaking songs inbetween the crap)

So basically are there band/s that you were like holy shit this song and few/some others "are like some of the best songs I've herd" and you were thinking they have so much potential, but unfortunately they didn't stick to great songs and had a bunch of of stuff you don't care for?

The band i can think of is D'uAl.

1. the guitaring had this unique crispy freaking sound that i wanted to eat it up like bacon. It also those dudes could shred really well without being an ass like "hey look at me shred this guitar." Sure some of them were traditional style hard vk metal but they had their own thing. Also other elements of the good songs instrumental were on point, like drumming and synths(?). And their breakdowns were always fun

2 the vocalist freaking unique, kind of soft and beautiful. But he could let out some nasty scream(unfortunately he forgot them in butterfly, if you listen to it above), and also nice air whisper growls that added to the song instead of taking away

Also the vocalist could rock a crop-top

For me this is currently BLESSCODE, there isn't much else I can think of. I absolutely love their own re-recordings of white and Regret love, but unfortunately the rest of their discography sounds like nothing worthwhile to me. I had hoped for a nice, gentle sounding band in them without growls or screams and leaning more towards ballads and softer music (a little heavier occasionally is fine, but when it happens at all times I tire of it), but after downloading their entire discography I quickly realized that this wasn't the case and removed everything — regretfully, because I had hoped to enjoy them further.

I saw this topic and thought of one visual kei band immediately and that would be Viored. 

I'm not out to write a biography but from what I can remember, Viored were a visual kei band active around the mid to late 00's. They sported a typical hard rock sound with some metal influences but what really caught my attention was the vocalist and the guitar work. The polyphony in their compositions was something that was really lacking in the scene and was a nice touch, as they were most active during the "metalcore-phase" where bands like GHOSE and VAJRA ran rampant. Their vocalist Kei was an interesting fellow: he had a high pitched vocalist I would liken to NoGoD's Danchou - although much less refined - and their sound could be described as "hard rock lifting inspiration from white kei while channeling metalcore on B-sides to lure tsunagari to the merchandise bench". Some good stuff, some okay stuff, and some songs I haven't listened to once so you can say they were all over the place.

They weren't the most active but they were persistent and consistent, releasing many singles. They grew pretty fast and were a popular band both in Japan and internationally, which is something that rarely happens but signals good things for a band! Unfortunately the band fell apart when the vocalist's girlfriend convinced him to leave visual kei and "get a real job" and Kei went AWOL before informing the band that he was done. Viored pulled the whole "we can't continue without him" schtick and disbanded after releasing a best-of.

The Beautiful Dead Song gets stuck in my head every time I think of them so I linked it below.

(dkm) but deluhi+far east dizain

i thought they had some amazing, hard hitting songs but a lot of their songs turn into generic and boring anime rock shit

its upsetting because leda's an amazing guitarist, easily one of the best in vk but (as leafy said) he has shit taste and thats so true

I'm picky in a lot of ways I can't really put my finger on, so a lot of bands are bands I SHOULD like, based on similarity to other bands I like, but then I don't like them and I can't really pinpoint why. I do really like Liv'ert, but I always felt like they were very close to becoming a big favorite of mine, but they never quite got to where I was hoping they would. Damy is hit or miss for me, but the songs I do like, I REALLY like. The Cold Milk could have been great if they didn't disband after one mini album. I really enjoyed it and then... no more. 

but after downloading their entire discography I quickly realized that this wasn't the case and removed everything — regretfully, because I had hoped to enjoy them further.

Girl this has happen to me more then once #VKstruggles

SCREW would be mine. 

To me many of their older songs are among the best visual kei songs of all time. It's a shame how mediocre they have been over the past  near decade or so. I wish they would continue with heavier and darker music because they were a much better band for it. I guess they sold out completely a long time ago though. Or maybe they're content with what they've been doing musically over the years.

Hmm, Ayabie.

I love Gothic Party Speed Session and it was love at first sight the first time I watched the PV when a friend of mine showed it to me in 2006. I don't consider their others songs/music crap, but I would have loved it if the band had gone in the direction of Gothic Party Speed Session. There was potential in that style.

BFN- Song after song were basically a hit or miss. Songs like "Change to chance" and "Midnight Coaster", "UW" and "Dance to rave" and a couple of others were good but some...its like "Ice honey, stop screaming". Some songs were just corny like D;

Kagerou.

They had some incredible songs that, to me, defined the era (KAKOKEI SHINJITSU. SHIROI KARASU), but they came up WAY short every time they did a full length. Their albums were lazy shit jam packed with filler.... never even came close to having a classic, genre defining visual album. Which sucks, because they definitely could have.

They were Japanese but not VK. Shadow, a melodic death metal band from Osaka, was a better In Flames than In Flames was post-2000. Just amazing melo-death, both albums were genius. But they never caught fire for whatever reason, probably because that style of melo-death is huge in Europe and not so much in Japan. That's why I've said in other threads that Japanese bands really need to get out of Japan and expand their fan base.

Galmet, who are also melo-death, are touring Europe for a second time and it's a bigger tour than the first, because their style will go over well in Europe. If Shadow had done that, they might still be going.

BFN- Song after song were basically a hit or miss. Songs like "Change to chance" and "Midnight Coaster", "UW" and "Dance to rave" and a couple of others were good but some...its like "Ice honey, stop screaming". Some songs were just corny like D;

i agree with BFN

outside of a few A sides which are really REALLY fucking good, the rest of the singles are filled with bad bleep bloop shit

Kagerou.

They had some incredible songs that, to me, defined the era (KAKOKEI SHINJITSU. SHIROI KARASU), but they came up WAY short every time they did a full length. Their albums were lazy shit jam packed with filler.... never even came close to having a classic, genre defining visual album. Which sucks, because they definitely could have.

*holds breath, ends up choking, falls to the ground like a dying fish* im ded

Anyone else have mind for Redrum? The one where the singer left for some other band with a stupid name that turned out to be terrible?

After Initium I noticed at least here a couple of times they were remarked as a sort of follow-up D'espairsRay.

Disappointing so see where it ended up.

Anyone else have mind for Redrum? The one where the singer left for some other band with a stupid name that turned out to be terrible?

After Initium I noticed at least here a couple of times they were remarked as a sort of follow-up D'espairsRay.

Disappointing so see where it ended up.

After Initium or including Initium? I found that mini very underwhelming and devoid of the charm which pulled me in. The only D'espairsRay feel I ever got was from ELECTRIGGER.

Another band that was pretty good at one point was brodiaeabrodiaea is perfect proof that any visual kei indie band heavily hyped today is not guaranteed to be remembered in five years.

Coming in on the tail end of kote kei worship they are a good example of a band that got caught in the crossfire when the influences around the scene started shifting and they ended up getting the blunt end of the stick. They were around for so long but moved at such a glacial pace and had so many issues it's a wonder they lasted as long as they did. They are also one of the few bands where I can say I loved their aesthetics. Things went to shit when the drummer got big-headed and demanded more money for being average, and then the heart of brodiaea split into three bands which managed to be even less impressive. It took them a while to find their groove with songs like インフェルノ, Carcass, and 偽-Fake- but a lot of their songs are murdered by the off-key vocals. I enjoy their potential more than most of their output but some of their singles feel fresh even today. trace of the abyss is their collection album which has everything of theirs worth listening to and then some. If you like Affective Synergy or Synside, check out this band too. If you don't know what I'm talking about leave it that way.

This isn't my favorite song but there are only 3 left on YouTube so it will have to do.

After Initium or including Initium? I found that mini very underwhelming and devoid of the charm which pulled me in. The only D'espairsRay feel I ever got was from ELECTRIGGER.

I only remember the title-track for ELECTRIGGER and whilst I thoroughly enjoyed it, it did feel and seem very "vee-kay" from what I can remember, which I've found in my later years to be more of a turn-off than anything.

As for Initium, I'm not too sure on how everyone else felt. I only really enjoyed the title track and one another which was Lost Word but that's only 'cause I love the music that it opens with, the vocals of that one don't really do anything for me.

Wasn't Hizumi involved in Initium somehow? That may have been cause for people's comments back then..

Deathgaze because the first release with hazuki was good but after that not really faze human too but i think that's all

Most of there stuff was a shit storm and ok but these songs were so good as well as  Kuroi Taiyou. They could have been the first death metal band too, if they were progressing instead of fucking around.

Paradeis songs Mahou no Lamp, Deai wa, Pathos Logos, verminous, SPEED are some of my favs

More brutal than Nocturnal Bloodlust's shit face

DOG in the Pwo

an cafe songs like Duck no magical adventure

sug songs like Oreshiki Continue

Arlequin, I loved/still love Aki's  screams it's all I've tried when listening to Eclipse (ofc doomed to fail hah)  everything up to Near equal made me belive they'll go big but since dilemma it pretty much went downhill imo I'd always give them a try but (unfortunately) cant seem to get into them as much as I used to :/

Kagerou.

Yep, they were really frustrating. Those early singles are INSANE. And then, after the first album hit, only sparse moments of greatness here and there. TONS of filler. Some bands are just not tailored for albums. 蜉蝣 was one of them. 

Yep, they were really frustrating. Those early singles are INSANE. And then, after the first album hit, only sparse moments of greatness here and there. TONS of filler. Some bands are just not tailored for albums. 蜉蝣 was one of them. 

Couldn't have said it better.

It's like Kagerou were always able to write 2 or 3 great songs per release no matter the length of the CD... which meant incredible maxi-singles near the beginning of their career and generally lackluster albums.

Couldn't have said it better.

It's like Kagerou were always able to write 2 or 3 great songs per release no matter the length of the CD... which meant incredible maxi-singles near the beginning of their career and generally lackluster albums.

BLASPHEMY!!!

matenrou opera. gilia was a stunning debut, but they've never gotten there again, now they're just a shitty symphonic metal band.

every band Kaito has been in. 

Echoing Kagerou.