beni

The Doujin/Vocaloid/Utaite Thread

Belated as hell, how dare I. See videos to accompany explanations in the spoilers. For those who are already familiar with the terms, scroll to the bottom of the post for the introduction of the thread. 

Guide:

Doujin:

Doujin Music can be defined as non-official self-published Japanese works which can be derivative works, or completely original creations. (source: reddit/wiki)

Duca:

Asriel (majored):

Vocaloid:

You either love it or hate it, no explication surely needed on this one. It's a singing voice synthesizer for those who may be unfamiliar. Please make note that Vocaloids and Utauloids are different; the latter can be made by anyone, usually of low quality while the Vocaloid is the official, company named unit WITH a voice bank. Examples can be seen below.

Coward Montblanc (DECO*27)

ODDS&ENDS (ryo)

Utau (note that Vocaloids can be used to cover unoriginal Vocaloid songs be it Christmas songs to Katy Perry tracks. This is an Utauloid example):

Be sure to check out Nico Nico Chorus, either Vocaloids or Utaites are all mixed into one songs to sing certain verses separately, together, or in a duo/trio then belting out the chorus. 

Tower (NNChorus: Vocaloids)

Just Be Friends (NNChorus: Utaites)

Utaite:

Utaite (歌い手) is a Japanese term for people who cover previously released songs and post them on Nico Nico Douga (and/or YouTube) under the "utattemita" category. The term is unique to Nico Nico Douga singers, making it different from Kashu (歌手), which means "singer" in general.

Please note this can be on English/Youtube based accounts and singers too, usually termed as a Youtaite. Also something to bring up is collaborations, and can be very popular ships in the fandom if they partner up often/sound complimentary (check the very bottom video under the cut).

Senka ♂ (Male Utaite)

Ryo-kun (Male Utaite)

Wotamin (Female Utaite)

SingingSamine (Female Youtaite, Wrinkle -piano ver-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsnQD0dlzO8

Razzy and saint ♔  (Youtaites, male/female collab, Nakimushi Kareshi)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rod-lrGq0bo

Hanatan and Pokota (Utaites, male/female collab, Nakimushi Kareshi)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJhRK7NADBU

Touhou bring ups are allowed too. Any such subgenres/related musical work that is done independently can be mentioned!

Use this thread to post or discuss anything relevant to this kind of music, be it either Japanese, English, or even outside of both (see vocaloid SeeU, Korean). Happy listening.

To start off, some questions~ What are your guys' favourites in any/all sections? Any particular songs that stand out even when listening to a variety of different people covering it? Any albums you've recently discovered, or love to repeat? Favourite producers? Favourite singers? Favourite releases? Any ones that are major you like, such as Piko and nano?

My favourite producers I've already inserted above and that's supercell's ryo (absolute bias of mine when it comes to Japanese music) and DECO*27. I've dug into Vocaloid producers quite a lot recently but no other producers can top these two for me. I've only ever focused on the popular lot of Vocaloids (never came across Utauloids until finding information to make this thread), meaning Hatsune Miku, Luka Megurine, and Gumi Megpoid mainly. Most of the Vocaloid songs I've already linked above and the ones I'll go back to and spam, I'm not much of a seeker for any more since I've got plenty to continue to enjoy, with Vocaloids and covers. My Utaite library is continuously expanding, but again, it's with the bigger names (Hanatan, Soraru). This is usually because of trying to locate every possibly cover of my favourite Vocaloid songs (Pierrot, No Logic). Not much of a fan of the Youtaites from what I've heard (supposedly super popular miku-tan goes through one ear and out the other for me). Will go into more detail with albums and such some time soon!

I never understood the hype about Vocaloid until I found the darker side of Vocaloid and found some cool songs. And I only listen to as many as 3-4 producers. Still never really like all the synthesized voices, but I got used to it because I really like the composition of some of the songs I listen to. Here are the three that I really like.

梨本うい (Nashimoto-Ui) Nico Nico Douga

That killer bass and loud punky guitars. This guy's got some amazing work. It seems that he formed a band and performed some of his vocaloid songs during live on vocals and guitars, but I don't know if they're an official band or anything. The band is called 'Araiyakashiko' btw. Anyway, some of his vocaloid stuff!

とある厨二 (Toaru tyuni) Nico Nico Douga

Again, a very talented person here. It'd be great if this person went on to form a band too~

Can't find their other stuff on youtube so here's one from nico:

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm15166823

マチゲリータ (Machigerita) Ohp

Machigerita has a spookier style, a bit halloween-y and trippy. He made vocaloid songs but he can sing too! And now he's doing solo work. It may interest people here that he did some vocaloid versions of visual kei songs (check second link in spoiler), but to me it's just kinda meh because of synthesized voices, haha. But it's still quite interesting to listen to.

the only good D band to me nothing to do with Diru

I can't help but keep liking niki's and umetora's songs tbh. But in general I'm more into the Utaite covers than the original vocaloid ones?

I mean, I have about 23 versions by 22 different artists of Papiyon's 心做し.

God I love the Touhou music Universe!

All the music groups from Comiket like Alstroemeria, HALOZY,  C-CLAYS, SOUND-HOLIC, IOSYS, FELT, GET IN THE RING, etc.

Even some artists from the rock scene, like my wife FUKI, have made albums that are part of this universe.

I'm actually quite into vocaloid. I tend to stick to the electronic and metal side of vocaloid as I feel the vocaloid lends itself quite well to those genres.

For metal and rock my top producers would undoubtedly be youyuppe and caz.  Proucers like Noa+ and utsu-P, APG550, MuryokuP, idoyklik and LIQ are also great. There are other great ones out there,, but they have very few releases or are very infrequent. 

Honestly, the master of vocaloid and japanese metalcore.

Caz's vocaloid stuff is heavier than most of VK and Japanese metalcore in general.  

Noa+

On the electronic side, producers like Avtechno, fatmanp, Lyu-Ya and Pko do it for me. 

AVtechno

fatmanp

Lyu-LA - Some really amazing progressive trance featuring miku

I'm not really fan of anything too high pitched, which seems to be the case with anything using hastune miku, or bad production in general, but there's a lot of great vocaloid stuff out there that goes below the radar while some of the more popular stuff is just bad or meh for some reason. *cough* supercell *cough*. I am partial to anything with megurine luka, as it should be fairly obvious by now. 

I surely am not alone in the hype, right!?

I'm thinking this may deserve its very own thread... How does this sound so. damn. good!?

I have no idea who or what this is but I'm loving it too. GAH.