Pretsy

Interesting chord progressions in VK music

As with my earlier outputs, I thought it would be neat to discuss about "interesting" chord progressions in our beloved, visual scene as well!  What kind of intriguing progressions (from your POV) you guys have stumbled onto while going through your VK repertoire? As long as you are able to explain your choices, it's all OK...not that this thread would gain enough exposure, lol (I am not gonna hop into another round of "what is VK music" debate and just pinpoint that even in 00s and earlier 10s it was easy to acknowledge imho what's  "so VK" and what's "not so VK" in the auditory context.)

Prime example or where to start:

"Royal road" progression (IV△7→V7→IIIm7→VIm)

VK example of this: as far as I have noticed, Gazette's "Sumire" is pretty much about that kind of progression too, no?

Spoiler

Japanese explanation:

English (kinda spot-on):

Edited by Alroy

The last two chords that became somewhat a standard for MUCC after Gokusai came out.

Sus4 -> Major

Get's me everytime. They did wear it out a  bit though.

Man there is so much harmonic content to take from MUCC. They are without a doubt the most prominent in the use of harmonic progressions in the whole scene.

The use of diminished chords and wandering bass notes in this refrain is simply marvellous..

On 4/23/2016 at 4:30 AM, Pretsy said:

As with my earlier outputs, I thought it would be neat to discuss about "interesting" chord progressions in our beloved, visual scene as well!  What kind of intriguing progressions (from your POV) you guys have stumbled onto while going through your VK repertoire? As long as you are able to explain your choices, it's all OK...not that this thread would gain enough exposure, lol (I am not gonna hop into another round of "what is VK music" debate and just pinpoint that even in 00s and earlier 10s it was easy to acknowledge imho what's  "so VK" and what's "not so VK" in the auditory context.)

Prime example or where to start:

"Royal road" progression (IV△7→V7→IIIm7→VIm)

VK example of this: as far as I have noticed, Gazette's "Sumire" is pretty much about that kind of progression too, no?

Hide contents

Japanese explanation:

English (kinda spot-on):

Thank you so much for posting this. Learning guitar, and I've been trying to put my finger on these concepts since I started listening to Japanese music.