Sign in to follow this  
orange~

happy paintings

Hi!

I suppose you gotta promote yourself everywhere if you want something good to happen and get to places and finally have enough money to buy some music from your favourite artists like Avelcain or Mejibray.

so anyways I do digital paintings. here are few I try posting more later.

feedback is always welcome! negative/positive whatever! ^^

you can see the same stuff mostly on my tumblr: http://slsds.tumblr.com/

tumblr_o7r4ow5anD1vvxo4ro1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o7r4t599hh1vvxo4ro1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o7r4rqiexH1vvxo4ro1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o7r4u6H7Sk1vvxo4ro1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o7r4l4oU5i1vvxo4ro1_1280.jpg

Edited by orange~

thanks! glad you like it! ^^

They're all original. I'm *heavily* influenced by the works of Ayami Kojima, but I feel like my stuff has gone different direction and especially the colouring style is something that formed on it's own.

On 5/26/2016 at 3:17 AM, orange~ said:

thanks! glad you like it! ^^

They're all original. I'm *heavily* influenced by the works of Ayami Kojima, but I feel like my stuff has gone different direction and especially the colouring style is something that formed on it's own.

ohh, i really admire ayami kojima! i can sense some of her influences in your drawings, especially the dark feel and ancient/medieval concepts.

tumblr_ocbl7tuUmc1u25ut3o2_r1_1280.jpg

I trying to get back to painting. Summer has been too busy.

Most of these painting are for a certain video game project I hope to start seriously this fall.

screen2.png

The screenshot is from an older build.  The new engine got a bigger resolution, So I'll be redoing most of the graphics..

Edited by orange~

nice pale colors in the first one~!

the preview of the battle system looks interesting so far. it's really cool that you're thinking about working more seriously with your video game project. it'd be great to see more in the future. keep it up! ^^

Edited by plastic_rainbow

First I just have to ask: why do you call your paintings happy? If you ask me they have a rather gloomy and sinister feel to them. I'm not very fond of your painting style - it looks a little sloppy in my opinion, I believe that if you had certain areas in your paintings with more accurate and less choppy lines that would declatter the composition, and work better for your composition. Like in this piece for example - 

On 29/05/2016 at 2:19 PM, orange~ said:

tumblr_o7r4nkyBJG1vvxo4ro1_540.jpg

On the flip side, you have a distinctive style, which makes you recognizable right away - I particularly like the facial feastures of your characters.
I also like that your paintings are never dull, and you have some sort of movement or action going on in every one of them, judging by what you've posted so far. In that sense I really like that first picture.  I want to say that, if your aim is to draw more-less realistically, you should work more on the proportions and anatomy. But I'm sure you can do it. So keep it up! Looking forward to see your progress. 

Edited by Δrche

Thanks for the feedback!

@PsychoΔelica, why happy paintings...? : / Well obviously they're not, but saying they're paintings of suicidal and depressed tendencies makes it sound too gloomy imo. :D I tried making more happy things with this style, but they didn't end up looking right. I guess the topic title is a little distracting.

But yea, thank you million times for the constructive stuff! I've heard it before as well - that these works look a little sloppy and unfinished. And I agree. The thing is... I often get bored of drawing these before polishing and just decide to throw them to tumblr anyway. I need to learn some patience for sure. I've been continuing some of these afterwards and tried to give them an extra layers of polish, but still some choppiness remains... I'll probably try to find sweetspot from somewhere between what I have now and more detailed lines. Proportions and anatomy is an area I need more practice too for sure.

Here's an example of continued work:

tumblr_ocvzt2lLI61u25ut3o1_540.jpg

(You can see the earlier version few posts above. Personally I like this new one a whole lot more ^^)

Edited by orange~

On 02/09/2016 at 3:43 PM, orange~ said:

But yea, thank you million times for the constructive stuff! I've heard it before as well - that these works look a little sloppy and unfinished. And I agree. The thing is... I often get bored of drawing these before polishing and just decide to throw them to tumblr anyway. I need to learn some patience for sure. I've been continuing some of these afterwards and tried to give them an extra layers of polish, but still some choppiness remains... I'll probably try to find sweetspot from somewhere between what I have now and more detailed lines. Proportions and anatomy is an area I need more practice too for sure.

Here's an example of continued work:

tumblr_ocvzt2lLI61u25ut3o1_540.jpg

(You can see the earlier version few posts above. Personally I like this new one a whole lot more ^^)

Actually what I meant is you should try to express a certain object using less strokes. I used to paint with oil paints, watercolor and acrillic, so I worked on that a lot (thanks to my art teacher), and now I try to be as minimalistic as possible also with my pen drawings (with moderate success). 

And yes, it looks better now. :)

By the way, if you're having trouble to maintain the proportions, I think it's a good idea to sketch the whole character first, and then crop according to your composition, in case you're doing a digital painting. I should try that myself :P

the gory detail on the first drawing is awesome! great color usage too~

branching off from the comment about your painting style, i think your sloppy style is totally fine! (mainly because i like to draw sloppy myself lol)

i also receive the same comments about some of my drawings from my sister (who also draws, we have very different styles) so i get it. they may have a point, but not everyone has the same way of doing things. i personally admire the expressive look a sloppy brush stroke gives. whenever i actually try to clean something up i start to hate the drawing even more, and it loses its spark. so that was when i pretty much decided that i'd do my own way of things, despite what others say. if people prefer a cleaner and polished look, that's them! just do whatever feels right man!

i mean, it's good to receive critique from others of course, there's nothing wrong with that. and they can be quite useful too. but just saying that, ultimately you'll be the one who decides what to do with your drawings! ^^

@plastic_rainbowyea hey I definitely agree with you. I too like to see the work that went into the picture, just the same as I enjoy seeing brush strokes in more traditional paintings. So ya, we're in the same boat in that sense ^^

But there is some truth to the criticism, because I often leave my stuff in an unfinished state - without realizing it. I've had on few occasions someone suggest that I continue a little bit further with some works and the end results are usually clearly better. So there is truth to me being a bit too sloppy in that regard. Just gotta find the golden middle road somewhere.

I posted my stuff on this Finnish FB-site with lots of amateur and pro graphic artists/painters/etc. and got feedback about working more on composition and anatomy. So those are the things I'm gonna be concentrating in the future. I'm already going to this live model drawing courses to work on the anatomy. yay :D

Sign in to follow this