beni

MH FEATURED POLL #48: How do you organize your music files?

MH POLL OF THE WEEK #47  

23 members have voted

1. 1. How do you organize your music files?

• By artist
    • By album
    • By date
    • By genre
    • RAR/zip files
    • I don't organize at all
    • I do it another way (unlisted)

How do you organize your music files?

post-36483-Ron-Swanson-ipod-gif-Imgur-VP

Poll suggested by @hiroki!

To submit a poll for the MH POLL OF THE WEEK, P.M. @beniwith your poll question, choices, and state whether it's multiple choice or not.

sometimes I wonder if that's even at all possible anymore 

Ahhhh an organized folder....... gonna put that on my bucket list. lol.

Depends on where the music is.

· My older music is on a folder called "Músicas" ("Music"), inside a folder called "Áudio" ("Audio"), at my desktop, and follow the model:

[artist name] - [release name]

· Later downloads are on the root of my "D:" partition and follow the model:

[format] [artist name] - [release name]

Depending on the release, a folder may have a "[editar]" ("edit") part between "[format]" and "[artist name]", it's an indication that I have to change the tags of the songs on the folder.

· The latest downloads are on my external HD, also on a folder called "Músicas", on the root of the HD. The folders have the name the uploader puts, and I'm okay with the mess.

Edited by IGM_Oficial

I used to organize everything by artist/albums/tracks, but I gave up doing it in 2011 and now  just toss everything in a single folder waiting for a day I'll have the motivation to sort it all out.

Edited by saishuu

1 minute ago, saishuu said:

I used to organize everything by artist/albums/tracks, but I gave up doing it in 2011 and now  just toss everything in a single folder waiting for a day I'll have the motivation to sort it all out.

É nóis

1 minute ago, saishuu said:

Dude, it's quite rude to keep using Portuguese everywhere in the forum that's not the language section.

Sorry, got a little excited

1 hour ago, IGM_Oficial said:

My older music is on a folder called "Músicas" ("Music"), inside a folder called "Áudio" ("Audio"), at my desktop, and follow the model;

JUST ACCORDING TO KEIKAKU

I have a folder for each artist, then more subfolders titled "Artist - Album"

Sometimes I get fancy and put all of a specific musician's bands or related groups in one folder, but usually it's quite basic.

Language > Artist > [Release Date] Album Name > [Track #] Song Name 

for example

Japanese > 12012 > [2009.03.11] mar maroon > 01 THE WORLD.mp3

"Language" pertains more to the place of origin than the actual language in the lyrics. Like, a Japanese artist that only sings in English would still be in the Japanese folder. Any Western artist gets thrown into the English folder.

Edited by peffy

3 hours ago, peffy said:

for example

"Language" pertains more to the place of origin than the actual language in the lyrics. Like, a Japanese artist that only sings in English would still be in the Japanese folder. Any Western artist gets thrown into the English folder.

Pretty much the same as mine. 

Music > Japanese, European or American > Genre > Artist > Album > Tracks

I have a separate folder for Japanese artists and bands (also for Chinese & Korean music; the rest goes under my general Music folder). Inside, I have separate folders for every letter of the alphabet. Then it's the classic Artist -> Releases -> Tracks format. I name every release like this: [release date: year/month/day] [type: single/album/mini-album] Release Name. It would be great if I were as neat and organized in everything and not just with my music.

Ok....let's delve into the horror-show that is my digital Japanese music collection.  :X'D:

Spoiler

Aright, a bit of a preface.  My Japanese music collection is mirrored on separate drives. On one drive, everything is archived/zipped, and the other collection isn't. Both are organized differently, though.

As for the archived collection...this is the collection that i'd call horrific - I'll need to explain it. Way back in 2007, I started using a Japanese p2p program called utatane so I could 'GET MAH PIRATE ON' and catch all the obscure poketunez. Utatane users are famously strict and if you had any hope of scoring trades, you'd need an organized collection. Music files in specific were archived/zipped for convenience.  Not to mention, many of the traders there were interested mostly in new/recently released music and release dates were important. 

So since I joined utatane at the tail-end of 2007, I began organizing my Japanese zips by date starting at 2008. Everything released in 2007 and prior was placed in folders that were....VERY loosely organized by genre. Basically, my zipped collection is an ABSOLUTE MESS and is organized using the most INEFFICIENT folder categories and file-naming methods. I ended up collecting so much music and it all piled up so fast that it would have been far more inconvenient for me to bother reorganizing everything in a more manageable way. So I've had the same silly organization for my archived Japanese collection since 2008 and it hasn't been altered much since.

Here we are below. Ignore the "music" and "to sort non-jp" folders since those do not have any Japanese music in them.

osEUMzo.png

An example of how it looks inside of the dated folders:

0ZjTnyi.png

An example of how it looks inside of the "genre" folders:

s1DgIvR.png

^ As I said, totally a mess, and totally inefficient!!! Especially since, if I listen to an artist that has released stuff before AND after 2007, then all of the releases by that artist would be spread across different folders!

I rarely use utatane these days now, though.. thankfully. As for my other, unarchived Japanese music collection - I've been slowly rebuilding it, and weeding out all of the music that I collected over the years but don't really care for. I'm nowhere near finished, but I've organized it exactly how @peffyhas listed below, except I only have a "Japanese" folder, and then a folder for everything else. XD

On 7/3/2016 at 11:07 PM, peffy said:

for example