Sign in to follow this  
Mind of the sun

Time travel movies

I recently discovered my love for time travel movies and would like to hear your opinions on the topic.

Since alot of time travel movies has a twist ( or just something shocking) it's usualy the ending with determines if the movie is good or not. I recently saw 12 monkeys which I thought was great but felt a bit dissappointed by the ending.  Phenomenal performance by Brad Pitt though!

Favorites:

The Butterfly Effect

Back to the future

Predestination

Interstellar

Source  Code

Looper

I would love to hear your favorites/recomendations!

Also, if you know any good time travel related TV shows I would love to hear about them too. I recently finished 11.22.63 wich was alright.

There's a Japanese movie called  Summer Time Machine Blues. You could try that.

Also Safety Not Guaranteed. I don't remember if they actually travel in time in that movie but they're building a time machine or something?

Edited by indigo

22 minutes ago, indigo said:

Also Safety Not Guaranteed. I don't remember if they actually travel in time in that movie but they're building a time machine or something?

Safety Not Guaranteed is awesome, highly recommend it! <3 (even tho it's a lot different than the movies mentioned above)

Other cool films not listed yet, either featuring time travel or time/space paradoxes:

- Coherence (thriller/mystery film with some bizarre ideas)

- Time Lapse (a 'future camera' machine turns the lives of a group of friends upside down)

- Donnie Darko (pretty weird; see the director's cut for more coherent/unambiguous viewing)

- Triangle (the discovery of a ghost ship leads to some weird shit in this horror flick)

- Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure / Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey (cuz we all need some dumb '80s cheese now and then xD)

Edited by Jigsaw9

I love this subject, and a lot of the good film's already mentioned. Coherence and Time Lapse are both excellent, and sadly a bit overlooked. Highly recommended!

And here's a bunch of other films I feel is a bit overlooked, forgotten or underrated:

Los Cronocrímenes (sci-fi thriller/horror)

Time Bandits (classic fantasy film you never hear anyone talk about anymore. Fantastic film!)

The Time Machine (1960) (sci-fi-adventure. Another classic that seems to be forgotten. Masterpiece!)

Time After Time (sci-fi adventure, a forgotten semi-classic that should be huge. Brilliant!)

Midnight in Paris (Woody Allen's romantic comedy is his seminal work IMO, but it's somewhat forgotten. Praised when it came, but no-one seems to care anymore. I don't get it, brilliant!)

La Jetée (drama, short film. Classic!)

Triangle (sci-fi mystery)

Returner (Sci-fi action)

Now films like Time Bandits, The Time Machine, Midnight in Paris and to some degree Time After Time are films a lot of people have seen and all, but I still feel like they, despite they're status, is somewhat forgotten. Neither have gotten the praise they deserve in newer time. I think it's really weird.

I'll come back with more.

Primer was the biggest mindfuck I've ever seen, understood like, nothing.

Predestination is also complicated as hell, but at least it's fun and has some interesting themes.

Can't go wrong with Looper and Source Code, they are the best of the bunch. 

Edited by Licio123

19 hours ago, Mind of the sun said:

Also, if you know any good time travel related TV shows I would love to hear about them too. I recently finished 11.22.63 wich was alright.

Quantum Leap (the cultest of the cult!)

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles (a lot better than you'd think)

Life on Mars (UK) (first season especially is exceptional!)

Voyages!

I'd also recommend checking out the films Planet of the Apes, Beneath the Planet of the Apes, Escape from the Planet of the Apes, Conquest of the Planet of the Apes and Battle for the Planet of the Apes, as well as the 1973 TV-series Planet of the Apes and the animated series Return to the Planet of the Apes. Lots of time travel stuff and shit. Great films, great series.

Edited by Bear

Sign in to follow this