Sign in to follow this  
beni

Anime Theme Recommendations: Summer 2016

ATR: Summer 2016  

4 members have voted

1. 1. What did YOU think of the theme songs for this season?

• One of the strongest seasons for theme songs ever!
    • Have found an enjoyable amount of songs and artists!
    • Nothing outstanding, there have been much better seasons.
    • Has been pretty disappointing. Only liked a few openings and endings..
    • Simply terrible, didn't like any theme song. Skipped, skipped, skipped...

tumblr_oee0ditNx11rfey86o1_1280.png

Hello and welcome to our third edition of Anime Theme Recommendations (ATR) of 2016! Unfortunately, it's been another quiet season for anime openings, but busy outside of it (just see our Recommended Tracks in contrast)! Still, we've picked out what we think are the best of the very best, this time with what Spring had to offer. But do you agree? Feel free to leave comments/discussion on anything we might have missed or something that might have caught your eye!

Opening to Berserk

9mm Parabellum Bullet - "インフェルノ (Inferno)"

22132-9mmparabellumbullet-10ld.png

Consensus on whether this band has reached their peak is out, but this song kicks ass in a way a lot of 9mm Parabellum Bullet tracks don't. And this is coming from someone who never got the appeal of their indie works, but was immediately hooked by インフェルノ. The raw energy captures the trials and sheer insanity of Guts perfectly and I'm so happy they chose a rock theme over some generic pop song. The protagonist Guts is a man haunted by demons (literally) who must constantly fight them whenever his brand appears. Berserk is a nonstop stream of gore, murder, sex and rape as Guts is willing to cut through anyone and anything to get back to the one he loves. And yet no matter how bleak the outcome Guts manages to have a positive enough attitude to persevere. Berserk has a tone that's difficult to capture musically in 90 seconds, but 9mm did a great job.

- Zeus

Spoiler

Ending to 一人之下 (Hitori no Shita): The Outcast

Affective Synergy - "In the Dawn"

xWFyXgX.png?1

Well, well... what do we have here? A visual kei track? I'm just as surprised as you are. I had no idea there was going to be any visual kei linked to an anime this season so stumbling on this made me extremely happy. Even more so once I heard it. I'm now completely and faithfully hooked to the song! I'm sure such an act needs no introduction, but for those who would also be new to him, Affective Synergy is the solo project of guitarist 凛 -Lin-, started after his band Synside broke up (and many others before it of course). The monotone, almost indifferent vocal work reminds me of Plastic Tree's Ryutaro in delivery, but still in the same tone as other brilliant visual kei bands, such as Avidit. and MoNoLith. There's that strong, edgy voice, sometimes dark and quavering but suddenly beyond luscious once the chorus hits. The track itself is moody and atmospheric and at almost six minutes long, it's linear but still so effective. The chorus is absolutely stunning, with a dramatic and brooding pace that is only slightly different to the verses. This is easily one of my favourite anime songs of this year. More like this in anime please!

- beni

Spoiler

Opening to Danganronpa 3

binaria - カミイロアワセ (Kami-iro Awase) 

gUBplDY.jpg?1

This project consists of arranger Nagao Yoshihisa, xai on website/visuals, Annabel on vocals/lyrics, and yanaginagi, on vocals as well as composition. The vocalist duo sent to us from the heavens have eerily similar voices, with yanaginagi's tone just slightly more breathy than Annabel's. So while it's gorgeous because of their almost perfect overlapping tones, you can still distinguish one from the other. This unit has been around since 2006, but have only now been featured in an anime, even though both singers have tie ins with previous series. The song itself is as lush as you would expect from these two. And with the artistic anime opening in a similar style as their own visuals (PVs), it's both satisfying to long time fans, and undeniably captivating for newcomers.

- beni

Spoiler

Ending to Handa-kun

鈴村健一 (Kenichi Suzumura) - "HIDE AND SEEK"

OegpgRv.jpg?1

Blame this pick on the fact that I'm a pretty big fan of Suzumura, both in voice acting and singing. This is such a jam, I'm not even disappointed in the animation just being the characters strutting their stuff. Well... Suzumura does deserve more than the sequence he gets for his ending theme, but nonetheless, "HIDE AND SEEK" is an absolute repeat masher. With Kenichi's slightly pitchy/nasal tone, he's easily distinguishable, and with the song's pop/rock sound, it's a glorious, fun mix of positive, rhythmic pop and pleasant guitar work. Those faces at the end are priceless too! I bet Suzumura's been getting tips from his wife! ...Sorry Sakamoto Maaya, just missing out on a spot...

- beni

Spoiler

Opening to 双星の陰陽師 (Sousei No Onmyouji)

i Ris - "Re:Call"

UC2cOBB.jpg?1

Now THIS is what I call exhilarating! Damn, can idols make an already kickass sequence even more kickass! "Re:Call" came out of nowhere but instantly caught my attention as soon as I stumbled on it. From the stunningly powerful group vocals, to the rocking instrumental piece as the intro and outro, everything about this track makes for an unskippable opening. What fleshes out this piece even more is the thrilling and gorgeous action sequences once the chorus arrives. Even before the song reaches that point, you know the climax is going to be a big one. The girls mean business. The spot on delivery which brings that fire and attitude deserves recognition for being a tune outside of the typical sweet and sugary pop.

- beni

Spoiler

Ending to Berserk

やなぎなぎ (yanaginagi) - "瞑目の彼方 (Meimoku no Kanata)"

VaDCRr0.jpg?1

And so we have yet another spot for the one and only yanaginagi right here. The much appreciated Berkserk adaptation (hey, it's at least something!), the second after the original from 1997, continues on from where we left off there - which means new content. Hooray! The CG may have been the nail in the coffin for the majority of fans to drop the show, but what can surely not be denied with 2016's Berserk is the perfection of the sound and music. With some stellar tracks from the legendary Susumu Hirasawa, who had been featured plenty in the 1997 anime and an actual fitting opening instead of this hellish excuse of one from the original, yanaginagi's "Meimoku no Kanata" is a sight to behold. No, really. Not only is the ending animation just beautiful, being constellations in the sky of Berserk's characters, but yanaginagi's effortless, glowing vocal work all on her own makes this an anticipated and unforgettable ending you can't wait to hear again as every episode starts. Her soaring notes during the climax to the chorus are absolutely breathtaking. And those strings before the song hits in episode one is everything (see video)! How can the English version be just as wonderful too!?

- beni

Spoiler

Ending to Servamp

寺島拓篤 (Terashima Takuma) - "Sunlight Avenue"

f8I9FGK.jpg?1

Deja Vu, anyone? Kekkai Sensen? ...No? Well, I'm not complaining with the copied and pasted 'characters dancing' ending sequence. But, what's the difference? I'll tell you what. Check out this song! Takuma's voice is almost like a throwback in itself, sounding extremely Utaite- like. But again, how could I complain about that? I'm one for a cheerful number when our dear characters are dancing along happily to the tune! You're probably wondering how this track could be any cuter. How about the fact that the main character's voice actor is the one singing it? Sure, the first few seconds may be a give away... "Sunlight Avenue" may be as typical as they come, but you can't deny the feel good, cheerful entertainment this one gives off.

- beni

Spoiler

Thanks for visiting, reading and enjoying! We'll catch you in December for the last season of this year!

im dead i didnt watch ANY of these lololol

but out of the anime i watched my favorite OPs were

i dont care for ED's but i really liked 91 Days'

unlike the OP with TK.........#triggered

mark my words yuri on ice will have the best OP of the current season!!! #prophet

Spoiler

Ayyyyeeeeee, @seurong! Thanks for taking the time to respond, and even with your own picks. ;-; I feel like there really wasn't much to pick and choose from this season, like last time, but certain ones just missed it, like the Cheer Danshi and Amanchu openings. I'm bitter about them not making as much of an impression as I'd have hoped, but the other ones more than make up for it. @Zeus' Berserk pick especially. Never thought I could dig 9mm so much. @CAT5, don't read this, lol.

I feel like I'd be obsessed with the Mob Psycho 1000 opening if I had watched the show. I hadn't even heard of the second one, or am probably mixing it up with other shows, lmao, but the singer is Nana Mizuki, right? Is it a crime I have yet to actually listen to her? >.> That 91 Days anime just reminds me of TK, lol. I hate to admit it but that opening theme of his for it is growing on me... But ELISA is always amazing. I don't understand how that went over my head too... 91 Days has too much TK associated with it I must've missed that!

Omg, look at you predicting the future. I already was anxious in watching Yuri!!! on Ice, AND YOU HAVEN'T HELPED. 

YOU DON'T CARE FOR ENDINGS THOUGH!? D': 

</3

Wow, not a single mention of Macross Delta music? Man, you folks are missing out. This is the anime franchise that embodies music! Sure the idol group thing can be a turn off but this franchise somehow always takes a step further in the genre giving an extra oomph. Here are a few of my favorites.

ED2: Walkure - Hametsu no Junjou

ED3: Walkure - Kaze wa Yokoku Naku Fuku

https://soundcloud.com/user-310349678/kaze-wa-yokoku-naku-fuku

Insert: Walkure - Walküre Attack!

https://soundcloud.com/user-310349678/macross-delta-walkure-attack

Aside from that, another anime OP I like but didn't watch:

Rewrite OP: Runa Mizutani - Philosophyz ~TV animation ver.~

^ Hey! I'm actually watching Macross Delta at the moment! XD Only on episode 6, but it's been great so far. Even though I'm really starting to love the music, the opening nor ending captured me enough to write a blurb for either. I hadn't even gotten to hear anything outside of the few insert tunes in the early episodes and first OP/ED.I plan to finish it, so hopefully I don't come to regret missing out on doing anything for it this season. I also nabbed the album as you know! No way can I argue that the series actually makes idol music awesome!

And of course, Rewrite can do no wrong! Thanks for commenting and posting, especially to back up Walkure!

Sign in to follow this