Sign in to follow this  
blackdoll

Gay guy Faces Death Penalty For Doing Drag On Instagram

Gay Abu Dhabi Man Faces Death Penalty For Doing Drag On Instagram

A gay Lebanese man who posted images of himself in drag on Instagram is being prosecuted in Abu Dhabi on charges of “practicing” and “promoting homosexuality,” which carry possible death sentences in the country ruled by Sharia Law.

Prosecutors claimed in Abu Dhabi Criminal Court last week that the pictures showed the 21-year-old man “wearing short women’s clothes, wigs and make-up.”

The man had also allegedly posted his phone number on the social networking site and was offering sexual services to other men.

The United Arab Emirates website 7days reports the man was arrested in a sting operation after soliciting an undercover cop who made an appointment while posing as a customer.

http://www.newnownext.com/abu-dhabi-gay-death-penalty/10/2016/?xrs=synd_facebook_logo

Edited by blackdoll

On one hand, I don't condone the sentencing handed down to this man at all. Let him live, be, and do what he wants. On the other hand, knowing that he lives where he lives and that he could get killed for expressing himself, what possessed him to be so open about it all? Having pride in your sexuality is different than posting your number online and offering blowjobs for all to see.

Of course death penalty is absurd, but as Zeus said... I'm curious as to why he went about it in such a way. It'd be one thing if he was just expressing himself with make-up, clothes, etc... 

Maybe he knew he'd get caught but it was his way of being rebellious and making a point...??? 

This is terrible. I wish the best for his close friends and family.

The morality police is no joke. Some Ru Girls did a show in Dubai and they were told they could only perform if they weren't in drag. The police even showed up and told them to remove their makeup, which 2/3 did (one just wore sunglasses and took them off at one point to show the crowd his eyes were still painted).

A lot of Eastern and Middle Eastern countries have a similar approach to homosexuality. I don't think the death penalty is standard, but many places do have extensive jail time for it.

While in India, I had to make sure I was closeted to the natives because I could have most definitely been arrested. That meant not adding new co-workers on Facebook, not mentioning that I lived with my boyfriend at the time, not commenting on how Michelle Williams did a show at an Aloft Hotel (as shown in a promo-reel they were playing in the lobby), etc.

This was particularly difficult because it's common place to ask new people about their family there, especially if they're foreign. I was even asked "Do you have a wife?" within 10 minutes of meeting someone, which I deflected with "haha, no! Definitely not ready to be married yet!!! :):):) !!!!!!"

We live in a world where people aren't allowed to be themselves even under circumstances which doesn't hurt anybody. Agree with Zeus that it's very strange he would do something like this knowing full well the conditions related to the environment he lived in.

"The man had also allegedly posted his phone number on the social networking site and was offering sexual services to other men."

And then there's that... but even censurable and dicey behavior such as that doesn't warrant such an extreme punishment. He's not going around nonconsensually violating or harming people in any way as far as I know.

Using a "he shouldn't behave like that" excuse makes me think of the courts where they ask rape victims what they wore at the time.

Let's not be so accepting of cultural differences that we try to relativize this kind of brutal and medieval laws. These countries who enforce sharia law should be condemned internationally but for some reason they always slip through the cracks. It's as if we don't expect them to be able to live up to the same standards of human rights as "white" countries. Sad and unacceptable. 

Makes me think if someone who knew he was into drag (maybe even a petty partner?) set this up as revenge or something of the sort by making an explicit post on social media.

On 05/01/2017 at 8:26 AM, WhirlingBlack said:

Using a "he shouldn't behave like that" excuse makes me think of the courts where they ask rape victims what they wore at the time.

Let's not be so accepting of cultural differences that we try to relativize this kind of brutal and medieval laws. These countries who enforce sharia law should be condemned internationally but for some reason they always slip through the cracks. It's as if we don't expect them to be able to live up to the same standards of human rights as "white" countries. Sad and unacceptable. 

Yes, there should be a logical reasoning for laws, they apparently have none. Usually is due to religion, it's insane that in this century religion beliefs are still mixed up with matters of state. Making someone were a piece of clothe and condemning he/she to death for not doing so is insane.

On 5.1.2017 at 0:26 PM, WhirlingBlack said:

So you are suggesting to make the whole dissonance of cultures even worse by intervening and acting like a big moral police boi there?

Considering the historical progression of ME, terrible fates like his in this case and many others - christians, copts, other minority representatives of religion and other social orientations - could have been evaded if people got over their own pompous "they ain't following  OUR OWN, right values mate WE GOTTA INTERVENE" position and managed to envision clear what-if-isms of their moralist foolery.

All we gotta do is to at least provide the example IN OUR LAWN - not to smash it in faces of people "we don't like at the moment". The problem is that our generation happens to relativize these values IN OUR OWN, "WESTERN" COUNTRIES and mix it with rather opposite values we usually abide to as well. Some dangerous chemistry is going on here yet people still avoid dialogues over this matter while screaming "racist bigot nazi" and 1000+ other buzzwords.

Spoiler

Read between my lines. Nothing ultra-nationalist nor "genocide-inducing" shite here - just pure common sense.

It's so sad to see stuff like this. Literally last night I was at multiple gay bars and there was a drag queen hosting bingo. The differences in the world are scary. I do agree with the general note of why would he do that knowing the consequences though. 

Sign in to follow this