Euronymous

Your First Favorite VK Band

I've started with Nightmare (guess how I've found them. right. death note.)

But my first favorite band was - shame on me - An cafe. They where also my first concert.

Probably X or Dir en Grey, closely followed by Malice Mizer ...can't really deal with any of them nowadays (with the theoretical exception of Malice's 1st CD, which I still have filed even though I haven't listened to it for years). Was pleasantly surprised recently when I realized I can still hang with most of Gilles De Rais output though :rock:

Mine was Merry and they are still my favorite. I was an exchange student in Shizuoka City in 2005/early 2006 and spent a lot of time in CD stores in the downtown area. One of them had a little thing set up in the J-rock/V-kei section that let you listen to 5 new singles/albums and the first time I tried it out, the nu Chemical Rhetoric album was one of the 5 and I fell in love before the instrumental/intro track finished. By the time I returned to America, I had in my possession the standard edition of that album, Modern Garde, the limited edition of the SCI-FI nu Chemical Rhetoric DVD and several Fool's Mate/Arena 37'C magazines with them featured. From reading the artist thread on here, it seems like this album isn't well regarded but I still absolutely love it. The DVD is my favorite (with the original White Sheep live in close second) and I love their visual style, costumes and makeup from this time period. <3 It all just holds a very special place in my heart

During that time I also got into Gackt, L'arc~en~ciel (but I really don't consider those two V-kei, even if Closet Child does sell their stuff), Pierrot, Gazette, and Malice Mizer.

Definitely An Cafe. I did a school report in my music class on them in either 7th or 8th grade. Everyone was horrified from the pictures and that they were all guys and I played one of their songs and everyone was so confused. I got an A though. lol

1 hour ago, efuru said:

Definitely An Cafe. I did a school report in my music class on them in either 7th or 8th grade. Everyone was horrified from the pictures and that they were all guys and I played one of their songs and everyone was so confused. I got an A though. lol

omg that is soooo precious i love it

53 minutes ago, returnal said:

omg that is soooo precious i love it

I had pictures I printed out from their Tekesuta Kousen photo shoot and I did construction paper to make a background that fit each member's video color. Lol it was actually pretty cute. 

Gazette, of course. 

Somehow I found taion on youtube and I thought it was just noise but I knew if I listened to it I'd come to like it. I was in love with the visuals of the video, so I kept replaying non-stop. 

I printed out quite a few pictures of Aoi and Reita and laminated them and had them around my bed  :wat: I also printed some of Ruki in photographic paper in a really big size, do you know how expensive that shit is? 

I still find some of those when I'm tidying my stuff sometimes.

DIAURA :) shitsu tsubasa no seiiki (re-recording) was my first VK song I watched their MV over and over again

it was love at first listen

My first VK band was Schwardix Marvally, but I didn't know they were VK. A friend send them to me, when I was still pretty young during a time when I mostly listened to Metalbands. I really liked it so he introduced me to VK one after another (D'espairsRay, Dir en Grey, Malice Mizer, Moi Dix Mois aso.)

Buck-Tick - it was 2010.

I saw the anime "Trinity Blood" The opening turned me from the first second nosy, so I wanted to find out who made this song. I discovered Buck-Tick and have informed me about this type of music and I found my love to this Band. 

girugamesh - 2012

A friend was suggesting music to put in for our crew combo video (Smash Bros) and giving them a listen, it took me a minute but after listening to more songs, they became a timeless favorite.

On 2017/2/17 at 0:23 PM, saishuu said:

First VK songs I heard were MALICE MIZER's BEAST OF BLOOD and D'espairsRay's Marry of the blood, and that was back in 2003. First band I actually considered to be my favorite was Kagrra, though, and they still are to this day.

Omg beast of blood was one of my first songs too. I showed some friends during computer class in lie 7th grade and I thought I was so cool. 

On 2017/2/16 at 11:57 AM, YuyoDrift said:

Hahaha my favorite was Alice Nine (A9) as well.

Akatsuki was my shit, that I had recorded it on a blank Cassette so I could play it in my shitty car stereo.

Good times.

THE STORY OF BRILLIANT GROWLY.

yes. 

I fell in love with velvet when I first heard it.

Edited by efuru

My first favorites were Malice Mizer and Baiser. I was OBSESSED with Malice Mizer until they went on a permanent hiatus. I'm still sad I'll never see them live, but I did get a small bit of closure being Kozi and Yu~ki perform as guests with Moi Dix Mois. I don't feel like Malice's sound has aged well, so I rarely listen to their CDs anymore nor would I call them my fave now, but every now and then I like to play Ma Cherie or Bara no Seidou and get wrapped up in the nostalgia.

I think there was less choice in having a "first favorite" back then, because at the time fans mostly had to rely on foreign gya or music enthusiasts in Japan to share it via Napster/IRC. So whatever you got your hands on was likely to become your "first favorite". Or you might go through the scans that were on Paradoxical Reality and then try to find songs of whatever bands looked interesting via music sharing platforms.

Edited by jaymee

Is Acid Black Cherry considered VIsual Kei? If so, they are the first VK band I called my favorite.

First favorite band was L'Arc but they sure aren't vk lol

I'd say my first favourite band was probably DIR EN GREY or An Cafe circa 2006, but only because I was completely unaware bands similar to them existed. I was flipping through channels one day and managed to catch The Final and Escapism PVs on IMF (International Music Feed) and instantly fell in love. I obsessed over DEG and An Cafe for a good half year, probably, until I discovered that there was a slew of bands out there and it wasn't confined to just those two, as vastly different as they are.

So after a little bit of searching and discovering with the limited resources I had, I'd say that RENTRER EN SOI was my real "first favourite", followed very closely by UnsraW.

Edited by raphael

Hm, it was Malice Mizer at first as I found out about them around... 2005 or 2006? Too bad they weren't active anymore back then ^^

My first favourite band was Versailles, and they are still my favourite now, but they're not the only of my no.1 bands because there is Mejibray in the first place too. I can't choose, I love them equally.

On 2017-02-16 at 2:41 PM, 01K1NEMA said:

Malice Mizer's BEAST OF BLOOD >)

I spent a month and a half hunting down the PV before youtube was a thing. Good memories....

On 2017/4/20 at 4:37 AM, Takato said:

Buck-Tick - it was 2010.

I saw the anime "Trinity Blood" The opening turned me from the first second nosy, so I wanted to find out who made this song. I discovered Buck-Tick and have informed me about this type of music and I found my love to this Band. 

"Dress" is such a good song and one I listen to often. I've never seen the anime tho. D:

On 19/04/2017 at 11:30 PM, MaikoMizu said:

girugamesh - 2012

A friend was suggesting music to put in for our crew combo video (Smash Bros) and giving them a listen, it took me a minute but after listening to more songs, they became a timeless favorite.

Hey, friend!  

Also got into vk thanks to them (although bands like tG, Alice Nine and artists such as Gackt helped a lot). Was mainly fond of their vk era, at some point they had the coolest yet simplest looks ever. 

On 2/16/2017 at 0:46 PM, vanivani said:

For me it was Dir en grey when they were still considered visual kei.

Wow, that was soooo long ago...

Pretty much me. I was interested in a lot of bands in the late 90s/early 00s but Diru were one of the few constants that stayed with me. 

Honorably mentions: Malice Mizer, Gackt, Aliene Ma'riage, D'espairsRay...