Ito

Ten Years of Monochrome Heaven!

Yeah!  Congratulations on 10 years!  I only discovered MH maybe 2-3 years ago?  I forget how, but it must have been searching something like "visual kei forum"

This forum is probably the most fun forum I've been a part of.  I'm also a member of a few other forums for other types of music, but none are really as welcoming and "not full of crap" as MH is.  That's a pretty amazing feat what with the abundance of trolls roaming around forums.  So excellent job on keeping everything relevant and generally pretty nice.

This forum has also been quite helpful and receptive to my questions and polls :D  As an artist there are things I wonder about people's listening and discovery habits and stuff, and many users of this forum have assisted me in my search for knowledge, at least on the VK/Jrock side of things.  MH has been far more helpful than other places.  I think it is the niche thing, because another forum (or FB group, really) has been quite good too, a glam metal group.  Again, a niche.

So thank you for the years, and keep up the awesome work! 

Wow, 10 years =O Haven't been here in ages but on this boring saturday night decided to take a look here again xD

it feels like only a few years ago i joined TW after a spamrage on I believe Tonberry back in the days xD, and than all those countless of hours I spend here on the TW/MH forums, the chat, the last.fm boards, everywhere. I have so much fond memories here, and met such awesome people on this forum. Also loved the years I was a member of the team on here. 

And I still remember some events like if they happened last week, some bad to some awesome =)

But then again, I came in contact with Japanese music back in 2002 or something, so as that is already 15 years ago, i really don't know what I done the first 5 years... I mentioned Tonberry, I guess Jpopsuki, but it's so long ago by now xD must've been some other boards. But none were like these =). 

On 4/8/2017 at 1:18 PM, Aion said:

Wow, 10 years =O Haven't been here in ages but on this boring saturday night decided to take a look here again xD

it feels like only a few years ago i joined TW after a spamrage on I believe Tonberry back in the days xD, and than all those countless of hours I spend here on the TW/MH forums, the chat, the last.fm boards, everywhere. I have so much fond memories here, and met such awesome people on this forum. Also loved the years I was a member of the team on here. 

And I still remember some events like if they happened last week, some bad to some awesome =)

But then again, I came in contact with Japanese music back in 2002 or something, so as that is already 15 years ago, i really don't know what I done the first 5 years... I mentioned Tonberry, I guess Jpopsuki, but it's so long ago by now xD must've been some other boards. But none were like these =). 

Tonberry... Jpopsuki.... You hit my nostalgia funny bones. I was really active on those communities.

I've been lurking this community for quite a while. Join date of September 2010, but only 52 posts. lmao.

I'm just on MH for the downloads that don't exist and contribute some albums on my own. I want to give back to the jrock community I've leeched for years.

I listen to jrock every day still. Its a guilty pleasure. Good workout music :).

omg so I joined a year after it's creation?
time surely flies, I'm not that active nowadays as I was in 2008-2011 but I keep coming back everytime I can

Life changes and so our priorities but, like I said, I keep coming back

I can remember a lot of good moments from the old days, specially when the ATOMOS album from SeoTaiji was going to release.

Ultramania, Prism, DoE, Champ... I miss you guys

On 5.04.2017 at 9:38 AM, nostalgia said:

^ You're drunk. Tainted Reality is a complete different site and is not associated with Tainted World/Monochrome Heaven. :P

You're right,. My mistake ;) I checked my old bookmarks.

It's been a long 10 years. Never even realized I've basically been (somewhat) here since near-start.

Edited by Kaye

As i remember i was on TW on that time. The communicity eas just brilliant, so much, as here. I don't regret, tw exists no more :) here is much better and more comfortable. Hope it will be so in next 10 years

Congrats on the 10 years.

I don't remember how I found this place; all I know I joined in the beginning or nearly the beginning. Probably through Tonberry back when I went under a different name. I've always lurked, sometimes posted. Never really left.

I may not remember everything that's happened in the 10 years that have passed, but I've been here long enough to say that this place is something special, and it doesn't feel like 10 years have passed at all.

I haven’t been here in forever but it used to be my homepage once upon a time. I remember becoming truly active and becoming an involved memeber of the community the day of the transition to toasted waffles. I’m glad I did because my teenage years would have been a lot more dull! Monochrome Heaven was my only real friend and I was here constantly and maybe a bit obsessively. If not participating in the threads or the chat, then trying any and all new music. This place will always have a special place in my heart and I’m glad that it’s thrived beyond my stay.

I doubt that anyone remembers me, but I seen some people talking about the prime days of the chat and I’m glad that I got to be a part of that. I had no one else to talk to, but I could always rely on the chat to have a buddy to “hang out” with. So much nonsense talked about, but it made me feel regular when I felt like such an outcast in real life. All the good times in turntablefm. And we even had some sort of chat that let us speak to each other. Man did your voices not match up with the persona I had given you hahaha. 

This website greatly effected the person that I am today in ways that I can’t even describe. Many things happened in my life that lead to me becoming less and less active and eventually disappearing, but I always think of his place nostalgically and I’m grateful for the community and all of the members! I’m feeling all sappy, but I’m just glad MH is still kicking. My childhood is still alive haha. 

Congratulations on 10 years!

Read through this thread, must have been spicy 10 years ago (forums dying, drama)!

I really didn't know about this board until a few months ago, but the glorious shitposting and rarez (along with the history that has been made) keeps me here.

As I am a new fan of 90s stuff (and Japanese stuff in general), it seems that I have missed the golden days of LiveJournal and MySpace, but I sincerely believe that the days haven't passed yet (this forum is probably the last stronghold though, so when this forum dies, we die with it!).

A special shoutout to @Ikkifor being here and on Jpopsuki. I have thoroughly and obscenely made love listened to your uploads.

Also, @robkun, you are a nice person, and you have single-handedly probably uploaded most of the 90s stuff here. Not only that, but you are an excellent historian. I love you for this - therefore please don't stop doing what you do.

I, personally, will do my best to upload what I get, and through that keep this boat going as long as it can.

Thanks for everything! Here's to another 10 years of madness!

Edited by Laurence02

On 3/23/2017 at 10:01 AM, filth_y said:

How time flies! Im also one of those coming over from batsu roughly 10 years ago and visting nearly every single day since. Like some, i was actively writing here in the early days but went silent after/leeching and now just post once in a while. Im amazed some people are active here for the same time and im reading their posts since all these years like Ito or Saku. I didnt like that some guys changed their username so i forgot who they were but for me Ramrod, Trombe and Champ213 were legends here that unfortunatly seemed to go away, taking a huge part of this forum for me with them (miss you Trombe!). Shoutout to some guys i remember i havent seen active here anymore like Kagerou, Kuregu, Spike760, DeathlikeS, stylelover, Ichibayo, ed47a, etc.

Some of the core members here left, but those who stayed aged mindly and have put the discussions to a more respectivly atmosphere imo. I think for many the glitter of vk crumbled when they realized how shitty and untalented 90% of all these hyped bands are, be it for live videos on youtube, a lot more people here going to actual lives in japan or just general increase in life experience. Its funny and a little annoying sometimes to read "newer" people hype those bands because of their photoshop pictures or ghost recorded CDs while you've seen how horrible musicians they are irl/at their live, but well. I've been there myself in the early days so let them be and have their fun :P

- I remember the time when you could finally join the old VIP section and just saw an huge amount of (mostly shitty) rare stuff you could finally torture your ears with. What time to be alive.

- I remember drama: Reviews of not yet shared CDs, stuff shared outside old VIP, stuff shared that someone bought at auctions, the person who thought she was robin hood sharing VIP stuff at LJ, etc. etc.

- I remember the hardcore trolls but some seemed to get bored and left. A few stayed but they finally managed to become partly funny for me (or i just got used to it)

- I remember shitty bands like Leviathan, unRuSt or brodiaea hyped to no end. The Death Gate CDs from brodiaea seemed like the holy grail. I feel while the amount of really bad bands and people hyping them decreased you really cant compare bad but well produced bands of these days (e.g. AvelCain) with how bad some were back in the days.

Thanks to everyone who keeps this forum alive! Wishing for many more good times and good new bands.

I almost cried. @Spike760, DeathlikeS (altough I think he was only on last.fm not tainted world), @Trombe, and @Champ213,and @Yasupon miss you

Wow. I guess MH is going on 12 years in a few days. Amazing, and it's all thanks to the community for keeping it alive.

I have been lurking on and off since the TW days. One of my fondest memories is reading and laughing at the crap jrock bands thread and how the horrible song by idiot or w/e became a running joke among the old regular members for a while. That was fun even if only as a vicarious memory.

There are so many familiar usernames still, which is strangely comforting to this occasional visitor. Hoping everyone has been well.

oh wow 10 years already, congratulations!!

I was browsing through my old livejournal entries a while ago and several of them were dedicated to TW haha, I was only a teenager when I first joined and I met lots of amazing people and discovered tons of good bands and music :lol:

(even if all I did was create game threads in the spam section like rate the avatar above you or say something about the previous person lmao I still had lots of fun)

here's to more years! :cheers:

On 4/5/2017 at 4:34 AM, mannequin said:

Yeah. I was a member of Tainted World, but under the different name. I'm a little shy, so I don't talk much ;)

Anyway, HAPPY 10-TH ANNIVERSARY!!

Same thing, been here since Tainted World.

Happy 10 year anniversary ❤️

Saw this thread months ago and didn't say owt, but I'm going to now because better late than never, eh?

I discovered VK/J-rock when I was about twelve and this forum when I was about sixteen, but I didn't create an account until October last year because fsr, the CAPTCHA wasn't working when I first tried 😕 but ah, well! I'm here now.

I'mma be honest; I give four fifths of fuck all about the rumours. I don't like gossip at the best of times, and some of the drama we get in this fandom is about as tumultuous as it gets, and personally, I could really do without all that. Still, I love the scene for the music, creativity and passion, and MH is just about the least vitriolic community I've discovered. After dabbling on Tumblr a year or two ago, I refuse to go back there - *shudder* - and the other communities just don't allow for interesting discussion/communication with other members, nor do they give me the latest info in a good enough format for my liking. Put simply, MH is the best community for sane people and good info, which is refreshing for me. I think I've visited this site every day since joining, so it's doing something right!

Anyways, happy (belated) ten-year anniversary to MH! Without this site, I would be much less involved in the community, I would never find out anything new and my passion for the scene would dwindle, so here's to many more years!

BTW, I have a question. Just out of curiosity, is there a reason so many people joined on September 3rd, 2010? I know that's not when TW became MH because @Ito said that happened in 2011. That just stuck out to me because September 3rd, 2010 happens to have been my tenth birthday X)

On 4/25/2019 at 8:49 PM, Gesu said:

BTW, I have a question. Just out of curiosity, is there a reason so many people joined on September 3rd, 2010? I know that's not when TW became MH because @Ito said that happened in 2011. That just stuck out to me because September 3rd, 2010 happens to have been my tenth birthday X)

I would pay zero attention to the dates. It said I joined in 2013 and I've been around since 2008.

back in early 2013 kai switched the forum software from phpbb to ipb (supposedly on jan 19, 2013). the conversion between the two forum software structures didn't seem to be 1:1 so some members had their accounts created on that day. not sure about what happened on sep 3, 2010 though.

i could be wrong but there seems to be a gap between the past years (~2008-2010) when the forum was split in two: the new TW and MH as a fork. MH had to start anew from the old DB from 2007, so it looks like the current forum doesn't have threads from 2008-2010 ish from TW. can anyone confirm this?

Edited by nostalgia

1 minute ago, nostalgia said:

back in early 2013 kai switched the forum software from phpbb to ipb (supposedly on jan 19, 2013). the conversion between the two forum software structures didn't seem to be 1:1 so some members had their accounts created on that day. not sure about what happened on sep 3, 2010 though.

i could be wrong but there seems to be a gap between the past years (~2008-2010) when the forum was split in two: the new TW and MH as a fork. MH had to start anew from the old DB from 2007, so it looks like the current forum doesn't have threads from 2008-2010 ish from TW. anyone can confirm this?

This is more or less what happened. IIRC these are the many phases of MH

1. TW on invisionfree -> TW on phpbb -> The Big Crash -> TW on invisionfree -> TW on IPB -> TW to MH -> TADAAAA

Each of the arrows is a database migration except for the one after the crash, where people recreated their accounts on invisionfree because there was no data back up from phpbb to invisionfree.