Shaolan974

2017 Global Music Ratings

Based on this topic on the general section about 2017 Japanese Music Ratings, here 2017 Global Music Ratings.

Feel free to post your favorites non-japanese release !

Spoiler

-VERY GOOD-

[2017.01.20] AFI - AFI (The Blood Album)

[2017.03.24] Me And That Man - Songs of Love and Death

[2017.04.21] Les Discrets - Prédateurs

[2017.04.21] While She Sleeps - You Are We

[2017.05.31] Féroces - Victor

[2017.06.09] Lola Marsh - Remember Roses

[2017.06.09] London Grammar - Truth is a Beautiful Thing

[2017.08.25] PVRIS - All We Know Of Heaven, All We Need Of Hell

[2017.09.01] Epica - The Solace System

[2017.09.08] Indochine - 13

[2017.09.22] Circa Survive - The Amulet

-GOOD-

[2017.01.06] Gone is Gone - Echolocation

[2017.01.08] David Bowie - No Plan

[2017.02.24] Acceptance - Colliding by Design

[2017.03.23] Northlane - Mesmer

[2017.04.07] Karen Elson - Double Roses

[2017.04.07] Deep Purple - infinite

[2017.05.02] Day Wave - The Days We Had

[2017.06.02] alt-J - Relaxer

[2017.06.09] Anathema - The Optimist

[2017.06.09] Cigarettes After Sex - Cigarettes After Sex

[2017.06.16] Nickelback - Feed the Machine

[2017.06.23] UNKLE - The Road, Pt. 1

[2017.06.23] Radiohead - OKNOTOK 1997 2017

[2017.07.21] Lana del Rey - Lusf for Life

[2017.07.28] Make Them Suffer - Worlds Appart

[2017.07.28] Arcade Fire - Everything Now

[2017.08.18] Eluveitie - Evocation II - Pantheon

[2017.08.25] Dagoba - Black Nova

[2017.09.01] White Moth Black Butterfly - Atone

[2017.09.22] Enter Shikari - The Spark

-MEH-

[2017.01.06] You Me at Six - Night People

[2017.01.13] The xx - I See You

[2017.01.20] Palisades - Palisades

[2017.02.03] Ocean Grove - The Rhapsody Tapes

[2017.02.17] DOOL - Here Now, There Then

[2017.03.03] Matmatah - Plates Coutures

[2017.03.10] Saez - Lulu

[2017.03.17] The Moon and Nightspirit - Metanoia

[2017.03.17] Depeche Mode - Spirit

[2017.03.17] Stolas - Stolas

[2017.05.05] At the Drive-In - in•ter a•li•a

[2017.06.09] Phoenix - Ti Amo

[2017.09.08] Novelists - Noir

-BAD-

[2017.04.28] Gorillaz - Humanz

[2017.05.12] Paramore - After Laugher

[2017.05.19] Linkin Park - One More Light

[2017.05.26] Shakira - El Dorado

Edited by Shaolan974

On 5/7/2017 at 3:34 AM, Shaolan974 said:

Based on this topic on the general section about 2017 Japanese Music Ratings, here 2017 Global Music Ratings.

Feel free to post your favorites non-japanese release !

Hide contents

-VERY GOOD-

[2017.01.20] AFI - AFI (The Blood Album)

[2017.03.24] Me And That Man - Songs of Love and Death

[2017.03.24] Lola Marsh - Wishing Girl

[2017.04.21] Les Discrets - Prédateurs

[2017.04.21] While She Sleeps - You Are We

-GOOD-

[2017.01.06] Gone is Gone - Echolocation

[2017.01.08] David Bowie - No Plan

[2017.02.24] Acceptance - Colliding by Design

[2017.03.23] Northlane - Mesmer

[2017.04.07] Karen Elson - Double Roses

-MEH-

[2017.01.06] You Me at Six - Night People

[2017.01.13] The xx - I See You

[2017.01.20] Palisades - Palisades

[2017.02.03] Ocean Grove - The Rhapsody Tapes

[2017.02.17] DOOL - Here Now, There Then

[2017.03.03] Matmatah - Plates Coutures

[2017.03.10] Saez - Lulu

[2017.03.17] The Moon and Nightspirit - Metanoia

[2017.03.17] Depeche Mode - Spirit

[2017.03.17] Stolas - Stolas

-BAD-

[2017.05.12] Paramore - After Laugher

[2017.05.19] Linkin Park - One More Light

My wife won't stop listening to the new Stolas album. Great band with lost potential. 
WTF is Linkin Park even doing anymore. I thought the last album was them trying to get back on the nu-metal bandwagon, but after the new single from One More LIght - Heavy (ironically) is the most boring song I've heard in ages.

The new While She Sleeps is solid, glad to see them coming back strong.

Indeed. I can't understand the new Linkin Park. Where is guitar, bass and drums ? Their previous album, "The Hunting Party" was really good to me. and now...that kind of shitty electro pop...well... no. Their worst album ever.

I can't stop listening the new Whil She Sleeps omg

So many sour overreactions over new Paramore (not surprised about OP tbqh). It's about damn time these mid-late 00s teenagers were about to do something else outside of their box of angst rallies. This may be the kind of logical step forward in the mainstream pop/rock scene if we consider earlier pop records like CRJ's EMOTION etc.

Arca seems to be a grower in light of how I initially deemed his previous shots to be too just carbon takes on Autechre and alike. My relation to anything Mac Demarco, especially his new jams, should be given already - I am the elevator muzak guy so I digest pretty much anything he shoots out lol.

Oh, and Death Grips too - I have "meme stuff" catalogued too whenever I want to have something funny but fascinating bang anthems, and they were there to offer "Steroids" EP and kill my earsight for good...okay I kid, I dug it somehow. Why such skepticism?

2017 could be the final nail in my coffin of metal amusement so whether it is something akin to new Full of Hell or even noisier, I might not be signing up anymore. 

Might as well admit after a couple of years that I am not really enjoying these bemusing political palettes in musical expression anymore - are they really that serious about replacing *depth* of their material with such pretentious garbage? What are even music and lyrics together at this point? Spare me your futile microaggressions, ffs.

The new Les Discrets album positively surprised me. The trip-hop influences work pretty well within the overall palette of the band's sound. I'll most likely be revisiting this one later this year.

I also found myself immensely enjoying The Magnetic Fields' 50 Song Memoir. Yeah, it's obviously a gimmick album, but it's pretty damn incredible how few duds there are on here. Definitely an unexpected rebound in quality after their last few albums. I found myself smirking a few times cuz of the lyrics.

The Black Angels' Death Song is enjoyable. Cloud Nothings' new album is a lot more mellow than their old stuff, but I still somewhat liked it.

New Grails album is good, but it's basically to be expected, they pretty much consistently deliver the cool tunes.

There's still a lot of stuff on my 'to listen' list (ie: new Ulver, Oxbow, Moon Duo, Wire, Kairon; IRSE! to name a few), and I hope I'll actually eventually get to them before the year ends, keeping up with music is hard as hell.. I feel like I still haven't even caught up with all the good stuff from 2012 lmao

I still don't really understand why people in certain circles are treating the new Slowdive album as if it's the second coming of Christ - It's enjoyable, sure, but it's definitely not the mind-blowing experience a lot of people are making it out to be. I feel like the overproduced, clean sound hurts the album most of all. On the topic of 'shit I don't get,' I'm also still not sure what people see in Mac Demarco. I've tried listening to some of his albums multiple times, but it just won't click. It's not outright horrible, but again, I just don't see how so many people are into it. 

Also, re: Paramore, I've never really been into any of their output, but from what I've heard of the recent stuff, it seems to be pretty decent synthpop/electropop-ish stuff in all honesty, they seem to have handled the abrupt genre shift thing a lot better than many.

Considering 2017 is apparently the year of shoegaze 'comebacks', I'm still curious about how the new Ride album is gonna turn out. I don't have very high hopes, to be honest.. I also still need to get around to listening to the new Jesus & Mary Chain album. Curve comeback when?????

Edited by Tokage

How exactly and in what way is european rock/metal better than american? This should be interesting.

Edited by Bear

On 5/22/2017 at 11:16 PM, xtreme1 said:

My wife won't stop listening to the new Stolas album. Great band with lost potential. 
WTF is Linkin Park even doing anymore. I thought the last album was them trying to get back on the nu-metal bandwagon, but after the new single from One More LIght - Heavy (ironically) is the most boring song I've heard in ages.

10 hours ago, Shaolan974 said:

Indeed. I can't understand the new Linkin Park. Where is guitar, bass and drums ? Their previous album, "The Hunting Party" was really good to me. and now...that kind of shitty electro pop...well... no. Their worst album ever.

I heard a lot of hullabaloo about their new album and I just listened to the first part of "Heavy" - total garbage. I wouldn't have even known it was them if I heard this on the radio or smth. I used to fucking marathon on this band's music when i was younger, and I know their songs haven't aged well over time on the internet, but to succumb to doing shit that everyone else is doing....I think that's just shitty and it perfectly sums up why I abandoned American rock music a long time ago. Shameful.

On 5/27/2017 at 6:00 PM, sheepprincessgara said:

It just sucks how some of my favorite bands I used to listen to when I was little have either disbanded or became shitty....that's why I stick to Japanese music these days, everything is just generic rock about ~rising up~ or my favorite rock bands have turned into pop whores. :/

i genuinely cant tell if this is ironic funposting or sincere.....................................................

I'll attempt to get this thread back on track here *cough*

vvvvvvvvvv This is all Kpop, you've been warned. vvvvvvvvvv

Spoiler

:5.0:

CODE KUNST - MUGGLES` MANSION

DPR LIVE - Coming To You Live

EPIK HIGH - WE'VE DONE SOMETHING WONDERFUL

G.Soul - Circles

혁오 (HYUKOH) - 23

JJ Project - Verse #2

Jun.K - 77-1X3-00

MONSTA X - The Clan 2.5 The Final Chapter 'Beautiful'/Shine Forever (repackage)

PSY - 4X2=8

Zion.T - OO

:4.0:

BLOCK B - Montage

BTOB - Feel'eM

Car, the garden - APARTMENT

DAY6 - Sunrise

DAY6 - Moonrise

DPR LIVE - Her

G2 - G2's Life, Pt.2

GroovyRoom - EVERYWHERE

Jvcki Wai - Neo EvE

Jun.K - 나의 20대

MINZY - MINZY WORK 01 UNO

MONSTA X - THE CODE

NCT 127 - CHERRY BOMB

Red Velvet - The Red Summer

SHINHWA - 13TH UNCHANGING - TOUCH

수빈 (Subin) - 동그라미의 꿈

Taemin - Move

Verbal Jint - 변명없이 (No Excuses)

:3.0:

B1A4 - Rollin'

비 (Bi/Rain) - MY LIFE 愛

KARD - Hola Hola

THE KOXX - RED

Jessi - UN2VERSE

김동완 (Kim Dongwan) - TRACE OF EMOTION

김태우 (Kim Taewoo) - T-WITH

Love X Stereo - 37B

PENTAGON - DEMO_01

PENTAGON - DEMO_02

Reddy - Universe

TEEN TOP - HIGH FIVE

TWICE - SIGNAL

TWICE - TWICETAGRAM

:2.0:

BTOB - Brother Act

GOT7 - FLIGHT LOG : ARRIVAL

GOT7 - 7 for 7

키겐 (Kiggen) - 흐림

Suzy - Yes? No?

PENTAGON - CEREMONY

N.Flying - THE REAL: N. Flying

:1.0:

Microdot - PROPHET

Edited by doombox

Just add El Dorado by Shakira. Pretty bad. I used to like her spanish album but this one is pure garbage.

alt-J - Relaxer : interresting sound. Not really familiar with their sound but it's ok. "In Cold Blood" is dope.

The new Drab Majesty is pretty alright '80s new wave/post-punk worship (mainly the 'romantic'/'melancholic' kind, not the more aggro kind)

I add new stuff :

- Féroces - Victor

Féroces is a french post-rock band. They include parts of old french film in their music. It's well done and the result is amazing. Their videos also include scenes of those films.

Their new EP is as amazing as their first EP "Juliette".

- Lola Marsh - Remember Roses

Lola Marsh is ... pure love. I discovered them last year and they are really awesome. It's a (dream?)-pop band from Tel Aviv. They are not really know but their music is absolutely fruity and fit perfectly to summer. There is a touch of nostalgia and melancholy too. The vocalist is amazing. She sounds a bit like Lana del Rey but...she offers more possibility I think.

London Grammar - Truth is a Beautiful Thing

I discovered London Grammar few months ago and I totally fell in love with the vocals. I can't understand how her voice sounds like that. Her voice touches my soul very deeply.

- Deep Purple - infinite

Good album. The grandfathers of metal is still around (maybe for the last time?) and deliver a strong album with powerful tracks !

- Anathema - The Optimist

I still love Cavanagh brothers music but, honestly, I expected a bit...more from this record. It still good and they continue to make good compositions.

DISPOSABLE 2017 MASTERPOST 

work in progress

Herein is listed what made my year.

Migos - CULTURE

Soundtrack of the first half of 2017. Infectious is the word I'd use to describe most trap and this is definitely it; songs that lurks into your subconscious gradually, and eventually you'll succumb and accept your fate. When it first came out I only cared for the hits, but now Slippery, Get Right Witcha, Deadz, What The Price are all bangers distinctly unique from each other, yet very similar in form and language like oldie time campfire songs. For people complaining about "mainstream rap" subject matter I'd ask you what else to write about? All that metaphysical 70's prog shit is worth fuck all once you're dead. What we have here is very visceral, immediate, masculine and straight to the point. I can imagine those things scaring away people who like their music fit for fundraisers and family gatherings. 

Mike Will Made It - Ransom 2 

More 2017. The sound every street, every party and the sound of every conscious household. About as subtle as a punch in the face, and the older I get the more appreciate things like that. Mike Will productions are also the only context in which I can stand Big Sean so that has to count for something also.

Rae Sremmurd - SremmLife 2

More bangers. Swae Lee has gotten better and better and at this point he is like a wolverine tearing a carcass sherds. His verses on Set The Roof just rip things apart. Awesome.

Whether this is as good as SremmLife I don't really know yet. Some songs aren't as good as the others, but the others rank high with a suaveness not really found anywhere else. Case and point see By Chance.

Young Thug - EBBTG

Young Thug is incredible for multiple reasons. First is how he consistently disregards popular opinion has managed to stay uncompromisingly left field and making hits almost by accident; and the second people got used to the sound he changes it up again! In EBBTG he develops the sound of JEFFERY further and at this point it's a flubber-esque abomination of Young Thug doing RnB. Both the beats and Thugger's flow are like molten lava of trap channeled through his queer alien personality that encompass all the fears of the boring complacent rockist bore and the dullard who hopped aboard with Stoner.; unabashed and unapologetic. 

Arca - Arca

I fuck with gay Björk. Whenever I've seen criticism towards it kind of manages to reinforce my fondness of the it; musically as much as it's formless it's also pure spirit. Very masculine, very abrasive. The sheer theatricality of it reminds me of visual kei almost. Good stuff.

XXXTENTACION - Everything

Bandwagoning really hard here. I like darker, pessimistic and hateful direction where pop culture is going in 2017. Sometimes I feel it's just me, but I can't stand those good-natured "we're gon' get togetherr" rappers like chance and rest of them; I don't like them as characters and their music bores. These soundcloud rappers tho, it's as if they were made with my temperate in mind specifically. He is the hardest going, and music that sounds this spiteful is what I live for.

$UICIDEBOY$ - Kill Yourself, Pt. XI - XV

Continued from the previous entry. They have incredible chemistry that goes down really, really hard. Biased towards the lyrical subject matter as well. 

Edited by Disposable

Juste discovered Cigarettes After Sex with their first self-titled album. Pretty good band. Most of their compositions are dark and melancholic ballads.

Edited by Shaolan974

On 20.6.2017 at 11:42 PM, Disposable said:

DISPOSABLE 2017 MASTERPOST 

work in progress

Rae Sremmurd - SremmLife 2

More bangers. Swae Lee has gotten better and better and at this point he is like a wolverine tearing a carcass sherds. His verses on Set The Roof just rip things apart. Awesome.

Whether this is as good as SremmLife I don't really know yet. Some songs aren't as good as the others, but the others rank high with a suaveness not really found anywhere else. Case and point see By Chance.

Yes! Imagine if his big brother was just half as good as him, or 1/3rd as good as him. Shiiiiit! Really looking forward to  Swae Lee's solo album. Hope the musical style is something similar to SremmLife 2 tbh.

I add new things :

- Nickelback - Feed the Machine

Pretty good. Solid album, I think but I will not listen to it again.

- UNKLE - The Road, Pt. 1

Nice surprise. I didn't know this project and it's really interresting. There are very good ideas in there

- Make Them Suffer - Worlds Appart

Solid album. I like Make Them Suffer and their new album is good as the others. Nothing more to say.

- Eluveitie - Evocation II - Pantheon

Vikings are back with an acoustic album. Sweet celtic melodies. I love it.

- Phoenix - Ti Amo

Well...I expected something...better

- Gorillaz - Humanz

Boring.

Epica - The Solace System

Good EP. Those songs could perfectly suit to their last album "The Hoolographic Principle". 

Arcade Fire - Everything Now

Arcade Fire and Phoenix are the synth pop rock album of the summer. I prefer Aracade Fire than Phoenix. 

White Moth Black Butterfly - Atone

I didn't know them and it's a good surprise. I love their ambient song. It's really beautiful.

Indochine - 13

What a great surprise ! It's more synth pop rock than before but melodies are great and I really like lyrics.

Enter Shikari - The Spark

I love their last album "The Mindsweep". "The Spark" is weird at first. I listened to it 2-3 times and I don't really know if I like it or not. I guess if I was able to listen it more than 2 times, it means I enjoyed it a bit.

Novelists - Noir

Solid album

PVRIS - All we know of heaven, all we need of hell

PVRIS is one of my addiction these days. Their new album is as good as their first "White Noise". I love their addictive melodies, their lyrics and the atmosphere of their songs.

Dagoba - Black Nova

Solid album

Circa Survive - The Amulet

I didn't know them and what a great surprise ! I love their sound. It's an alternative rock band with great melodies. Vocalist has a high voice but it perfectly suits. There is something in their songs. Something.... ambient I guess.

For me, Indochine's 13 was absolutely the album of the year, I've loved their  previous four albums,, especially the incredible Black City Parade, but 13 just blew me away. A handful of weaker tracks (for me, that applies to 99% of all great albums though), but a lot of stone cold goddamn masterpieces that are still in heavy rotation with me today I doubt I will ever get tired of the incredible 'Station 13' or the majestic 'Cartagene'. Simply a magnificent album.

As for non-Japanese music,  the other favourite has been the latest album from legendary German punks Die Toten Hosen, Laune dur Natur. And it comes with a second disc full of classic punk covers too Top stuff.

After that, it's all about the new albums from Granrodeo, D;erlanger and Vamps' fantastic Underworld.