YuyoDrift

The Lo-Fi/Chill Hip-Hop Thread

Lo-Fi (Low-Fidelity) can be best described as sound recordings, that are of lower quality than the set standard for modern music.

Imagine the noise made by old cassettes (VK Demos sound like this), or an old voice recorder for memos, and you pretty much have the idea of what kinds of sounds we are referring to.

Certain DJs today use a combination of Hip-Hop (Down-Tempo'd to be exact), along with Lo-Fi recording due to budget constraints, or even purposely, in order to attain that "authenticity" in sound.

What we have as a result ladies and gentlemen is Lo-Fi/Chill Hip-Hop.

There are many other names in relation to the genre, but I think the overall name suits it well.

I've also noticed that the Trip-Hop thread is long dead lol so feel free to include that genre in here as well.

Digging through some old HDD of mine, I stumbled across a favorite of mine, Me Gusta.

This DJ incorporated some electronic music in some tracks, but stayed true to the sound.

Looking forward to anyone on here that has some stuff they'd like to share :).

Nujabes was a recognizable artist (who incorporated the genre) among anime fans (Samurai Champloo), as some of his music contained that mellow, lo-fi/hip-hop combination, making the anime series nostalgic.

I know YouTube has many channels for this area of hip-hop, and so I feel it's a popular genre to listen to by now.

Not sure how this is a separate genre, the ones you posted are normal hip-hop beats. Most beats in the earlier days of hip-hop  (80s to 90s) sound like this since most producers back then sample their beats off of vinyl records.

4 hours ago, JukaForever said:

Not sure how this is a separate genre, the ones you posted are normal hip-hop beats. Most beats in the earlier days of hip-hop  (80s to 90s) sound like this since most producers back then sample their beats off of vinyl records.

Perhaps my examples aren't ideal for the downtempo hip-hop beat that I referred to, but I feel the varied sound does deserve its own thread. Same reason why others could post in the discussion with releases pertaining to lo-fi to either agree with or discuss.

I've actually been working on a Japanese chill hip-hop mixtape, probably gonna post it on the mixtape thread soon..

Edited by indigo