Kyo_Toriko

DIMLIM

It's hard to tell.

Their OHP is like... dead or not working but their last Twitter post was in August.

Their official merch site is still up and running.

They're supposedly doing two shows in Shibuya in January.

As much as this band gets shitted on, I really hope they continue to be active. Unpopular opinion but I really enjoyed MISC.

I don't think these January shows are happening with the pandemic ramping back up. That rescheduled Russia date came and went without a single mention.

There is maybe a chance to keep it together with the Rijin/Kidoairaku sound and forget MISC. ever happened (not that it doesn't have its moments). I would also be happy with Retsu leaving and them continuing as a two-piece band just to keep it wacky and interesting.

8 hours ago, shinganmousou said:

I would also be happy with Retsu leaving and them continuing as a two-piece band just to keep it wacky and interesting.

Hahaha if only this happened that'd be amazing. Tbh it would probably do the band a favour if Retsu left, he seems to be getting all gassed up on "sadboi" music atm and seems to change what he likes all the time. Like I remember a live stream with him and Ryuya on instagram where he was blasting like Gojira in the background all the way through. Then later on insta questions said he "doesn't listen to that type of music anymore", then MISC happened and due to lack of activity it makes me wonder if he's losing interest in the rock/metal stuff completely. So who knows wtf is going to happen from here. Announcing a disbandment would probably make most sense, before DIMLIM turns into a sadboi rap trio. Though that could be lels....

Retsu has been posting on IG that the band is working hard and more recently ,something is coming up soon ,which I take as new music. Hiroshi also posted a short drumming  clip on his IG story of him playing What's Up.If you guys aren't updated live shows in Japan has restarted a few months ago but with half capacity and strict implementation of social distancing required mask and shield and temperature checking at the door. Dexcore and Nazare just did a 2 man show a few days ago. 

Edited by zerozeroninex

I don't think anyone here is aware, DIMLIM was 2nd place in the band division of a competition by Tunecore Japan and sponsored by PayNoah with Tom Smith of JPU records as one of the guest judges. From my understanding,the prize is the sponsor will pay some of the fee's and gives a right to the band to perform in a venue in the UK, the grand winner though gets an all expense paid live performance in the UK that will be awarded hopefully next year.

https://magazine.tunecore.co.jp/news/76397/

From JPU's site 

https://jpurecords.com/blogs/news/iken-no-uk-winners

So how is it a downward spiral when the band is getting positive attention outside Japan? MISC is a great album and they finally  shed their D.I.D and Diru clone tag and Sho stopped trying to be Kyo 2.0.

Retsu leaving Dimlim equals to the band disbanding and a high possibility Sho retires from music. Reading their JaMe interview everyone is into the new music of MISC and I think Sho even had a hand in giving Retsu songwriting ideas and Hiroshi,I read somewhere wanted to sound like new Dezert and he got his wish somewhat.But from that interview, growls and breakdowns will one day comeback if they feel it's time to bring it back.

1 hour ago, zerozeroninex said:

So how is it a downward spiral when the band is getting positive attention outside Japan? MISC is a great album and they finally  shed their D.I.D and Diru clone tag and Sho stopped trying to be Kyo 2.0.

Really? You're telling me since losing both Ryuya and Taishi that DIMLIM have everything together and are firing on all cylinders with their band activities?

+ It's just my opinion but MISC has absolutely nothing on their previous releases so is hardly showing their strength to continue being as good as they once were. But as one of my former favourite VK bands (everything before MISC basically) I mean I would love to see them announce two new members, pull it all together and start producing killer stuff again. Just seems unlikely at this point. I mean it's good that they've been put forward for this show in the UK but based on how things have been going for them I'm not optimistic it would even happen. Despite living in the UK I'm in two minds if I would even go to this show, as they basically only play MISC stuff now right? And as I'm a fan of all their stuff before am not sure I'd want to go to a show to see them play stuff I don't really dig all that much. Only time will tell I guess.

Edited by Kabukichoatmidnight

15 minutes ago, Kabukichoatmidnight said:

Really? You're telling me since losing both Ryuya and Taishi that DIMLIM have everything together and are firing on all cylinders with their band activities?

+ It's just my opinion but MISC has absolutely nothing on their previous releases so is hardly showing their strength to continue being as good as they once were. But as one of my former favourite VK bands (everything before MISC basically) I mean I would love to see them announce two new members, pull it all together and start producing killer stuff again. Just seems unlikely at this point. I mean it's good that they've been put forward for this show in the UK but based on how things have been going for them I'm not optimistic it would even happen. Despite living in the UK I'm in two minds if I would even go to this show, as they basically only play MISC stuff now right? And as I'm a fan of all their stuff before am not sure I'd want to go to a show to see them play stuff I don't really dig all that much. Only time will tell I guess.

Uhm, you missed the part they sold out their show in Brazil and the other SA shows were close? It's not like Covid forced them to postpone all plans including their show at Shibuya Womb.They haven't played any song from MISC live yet. Anyway music is subjective and MISC has their most technical playing and showcases Sho's amazing clean vocals and range. 

Ryuya was a replaceable rhythm guitarist (support guitarist or backtracked 2nd guitars) that has no song writing credit, losing Taishi was a bigger lost but he had health issues and retired.While I do think they need to recruit a bassist, a female one would be better as there are a lot of talented female session bassist in Japan.

Edited by zerozeroninex

2 hours ago, Kabukichoatmidnight said:

You're telling me since losing both Ryuya and Taishi that DIMLIM

whatever opinion you might have of retsu and dimlim it was definitely not ryuya/taishi that made their prior releases amazing either lol 

On 11/4/2020 at 7:59 AM, nekkichi said:

borders r closed luv

borders only exist in ur mind x

23 hours ago, zerozeroninex said:

gives a right to the band to perform in a venue in the UK, the grand winner though gets an all expense paid live performance in the UK that will be awarded hopefully next year.

Hold up.

I would not miss this opportunity.

21 hours ago, zerozeroninex said:

Ryuya was a replaceable rhythm guitarist (support guitarist or backtracked 2nd guitars) that has no song writing credit, losing Taishi was a bigger lost but he had health issues and retired.While I do think they need to recruit a bassist, a female one would be better as there are a lot of talented female session bassist in Japan.

I get what you mean about those guys not really contributing much to writing but my point was more that a complete lineup would make them feel more like a "band" again. Backing tracks are ok for temporary situations but the feedback on their most recent shows that the backing tracks haven't really been working for them and the performance just sounds weak and a bit dead overall. That's just what I've heard, last time I saw them Taishi and Ryuya were still in the band and it was a killer show for sure! It does make me wonder how they'll approach future shows, if they will play older stuff or stick with MISC only as it seems anything before CHEDDAR has been dropped as of their more recent shows.

+ I would love to see more female members in v kei bands as well! Some of the female metal/rock bands in Japan are actually pretty wicked! Also, makes sense to get some actual girls in the bands rather than dressing one guy up in the band as a girl all the time.... Haha, still don't get why that seems mandatory for most bands... haha.

20 hours ago, sleepy coffee said:

whatever opinion you might have of retsu and dimlim it was definitely not ryuya/taishi that made their prior releases amazing either lol 

I know they didn't contribute to writing all that much. I been with DIMLIM since the beginning so am aware who the key song writers are.... But hell, my favourite era of DIMLIM was the Issei stuff, but hey...

I can understand both of your points.

Of course DIMLIM still has a huge potential with an A+ singer and a solid/creative guitarist. And yes, even MISC. has some highs which I hope they could improve over the possible next record.

But what is definiteley not deniable is that the presentation of the band (Retsu) is literally a catastrophe. There is no concept, no content and no clear path of what this band is aiming for.

In my opinion - and that should be for the most people here - is that I like a band partially because of the music and partially because of the look/theme/appearence (whatever you may name it).

The music: ok they changed (and it's our turn next hehe) and I can accept that.

The apperance: They wanted to quit VK, that's ok! But what are they aiming for?

And for that I think this band is nearly dead. They abandoned fans from the past as they wanted to do a cut and will be struggling to gather new fans because of a) no shows at the moment and b) no concept.

And that's a shame as this band had/has so much potential.

Ah yes and that "positive reaction from overseas" is - in my opinion- a leftover from CHEDOARA and I would bet that most of the people who got tickets for the oversea shows didn't buy them to get wild over "Lament" if you know what I mean..

1 hour ago, Demivee said:

I can understand both of your points.

Of course DIMLIM still has a huge potential with an A+ singer and a solid/creative guitarist. And yes, even MISC. has some highs which I hope they could improve over the possible next record.

But what is definiteley not deniable is that the presentation of the band (Retsu) is literally a catastrophe. There is no concept, no content and no clear path of what this band is aiming for.

In my opinion - and that should be for the most people here - is that I like a band partially because of the music and partially because of the look/theme/appearence (whatever you may name it).

The music: ok they changed (and it's our turn next hehe) and I can accept that.

The apperance: They wanted to quit VK, that's ok! But what are they aiming for?

And for that I think this band is nearly dead. They abandoned fans from the past as they wanted to do a cut and will be struggling to gather new fans because of a) no shows at the moment and b) no concept.

And that's a shame as this band had/has so much potential.

Ah yes and that "positive reaction from overseas" is - in my opinion- a leftover from CHEDOARA and I would bet that most of the people who got tickets for the oversea shows didn't buy them to get wild over "Lament" if you know what I mean..

Not having a concept was the point of MISC though.From interviews I've read, before Retsu became into sad chill (which I just recently listened to some artist in the genre and isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be lol) is a huge Gazette fan and Sho is a huge Dir En Grey fan, both bands changing their styles a couple of times in their career (until the Gazette settled to their current style),so I'm not suprised Dimlim is releasing albums and singles that sounds like the debut album of different bands. 

But there's only one problem with Retsu, he's an artist first and a businessman 2nd.They missed selling more copies of Cheodora and Rijin if they just released a limited edition (with bonus or alternate songs or dvd)  or put random photocards in, forcing hardcore fans to buying multiple cd's to collect all cards.They really need a manager or sign to a label. 

3 hours ago, Kabukichoatmidnight said:

It does make me wonder how they'll approach future shows, if they will play older stuff or stick with MISC only as it seems anything before CHEDDAR has been dropped as of their more recent shows.

I know they didn't contribute to writing all that much. I been with DIMLIM since the beginning so am aware who the key song writers are.... But hell, my favourite era of DIMLIM was the Issei stuff, but hey...

From show reports here in MH, they were still playing Cheodora songs in their last live show last December and they haven't performed songs from MISC yet. 

I'm more a fan of Retsu's songwriting but I still like some of  Issei's songs, he can really write some catchy tunes,with the Invisible as my favorite in his era. 

Bad news btw, if you check Japan Music Revolution's Twitter, they said the Dimlim international store has been dropped, only reason they gave was plans had been changed on JMR.Unless the wish of their detractors lol are fulfilled that they disband, disbanded, maybe they signed a deal (agency or label)  that wants control of their merch.

33 minutes ago, zerozeroninex said:

From show reports here in MH, they were still playing Cheodora songs in their last live show last December and they haven't performed songs from MISC yet. 

I'm more a fan of Retsu's songwriting but I still like some of  Issei's songs, he can really write some catchy tunes,with the Invisible as my favorite in his era. 

Bad news btw, if you check Japan Music Revolution's Twitter, they said the Dimlim international store has been dropped, only reason they gave was plans had been changed on JMR.Unless the wish of their detractors lol are fulfilled that they disband, disbanded, maybe they signed a deal (agency or label)  that wants control of their merch.

Yeah, I had a double check and that seems correct, but even still, the reports were not very positive either way. Sadly. But from here as they have changed, or at least seem to want to change the identity of the band it makes me wonder if they ever do anything again if they'll stick purely with MISC stuff. You said Hiroshi's insta story was him playing "What's up" right? So I can't help but feel they'll be dropping all pre-MISC stuff in the future. If there is a future for them at all.... lol.

For sure! Retsu isn't a bad song writer! Far from it. His work on everything since Issei left upto MISC has been pretty damn awesome. I still listen to all their stuff pretty regularly. The problem is, Retsu doesn't seem to know what he wants to do and building a solid fanbase is going to be hard if you keep changing your style/band identity so often. Sure they'll gain new fans, keep some old fans but they will also lose fans like that. So basically they seem to be struggling to maintain a stable fanbase. So if Retsu can just stick with one thing, push forward with that and build from there, maybe it can work. But as Demivee said above "There is no concept, no content and no clear path of what this band is aiming for." it's hard to really see at this point what is going to happen with them. Again, if anything. Weird about the store, guess there are some changes happening, but whether they're for the best or worst remains to be seen.

45 minutes ago, Kabukichoatmidnight said:

Yeah, I had a double check and that seems correct, but even still, the reports were not very positive either way. Sadly. But from here as they have changed, or at least seem to want to change the identity of the band it makes me wonder if they ever do anything again if they'll stick purely with MISC stuff. You said Hiroshi's insta story was him playing "What's up" right? So I can't help but feel they'll be dropping all pre-MISC stuff in the future. If there is a future for them at all.... lol.

For sure! Retsu isn't a bad song writer! Far from it. His work on everything since Issei left upto MISC has been pretty damn awesome. I still listen to all their stuff pretty regularly. The problem is, Retsu doesn't seem to know what he wants to do and building a solid fanbase is going to be hard if you keep changing your style/band identity so often. Sure they'll gain new fans, keep some old fans but they will also lose fans like that. So basically they seem to be struggling to maintain a stable fanbase. So if Retsu can just stick with one thing, push forward with that and build from there, maybe it can work. But as Demivee said above "There is no concept, no content and no clear path of what this band is aiming for." it's hard to really see at this point what is going to happen with them. Again, if anything. Weird about the store, guess there are some changes happening, but whether they're for the best or worst remains to be seen.

Dir En Grey made a career changing their style multiple times, from alt rock to alt metal to industrial metal  to nu metal to prog metal to death metal to a combination of the styles I mentioned.Did they lose their vk alt rock fans, maybe, but they gained more fans over the years.If you listen to Wake, The Final, Obscure, Yokan, Vinushka, Different Sense, Macabre you'll get confused if you're not familiar with the band. 

I only saw 1 person complaining about their last live and I've also saw a  report of a Japanese friend of a member here loving the 3 piece setup and raving about their performance.

I doubt they'll stop playing the Retsu songs but I think the Issei songs will be forever buried as they have enough material for a full show now. 

Edited by zerozeroninex