Kyo_Toriko

DIMLIM

I won't say anything about Dir en grey because I didn't really listen to anything before Vulgar.

But comparing Gazette's changes to DIMLIM's is not working.

The change just from Chedoara to Misc. (and I do like Misc. while the rest was perfectly great, I don't hate any of these releases) is like what when comparing to Gazette? Akuyukai to Dim? Which's like six years of time with tons of releases inbetween?  While there's been like 1.5 years between Chedoara and Misc.? With just two releases inbetween that at least halfway still give off enough vibes of what DIMLIM released before? That comparison doesn't work for me.

Yeah they changed. They try. They maybe fail (even though that might be very subjective). And that's alright. But it's true that you one first needs a solid base to put all these tries onto that still will carry on with the band.

Just heading from one thing to another and yet another all the time ain't helpful. This year ain't helpful, too and that is of course nothing the band is responsible for. Question is still, if they want to survive as a band (enough fans to make enough money to keep going) or not. And that's what I'm wondering myself: Do they want to be around in 5, 10, 15 years or do they just want to make music for fun? For the latter they don't need to care about fans and money. Which still leaves the question for how long they can go on that way.

If they signed to label, maybe there finally would be some direction they could follow.

But from the things Retsu said months ago I never had the feeling he wants to give anything out of his hands when it comes to decisions. It's just my impression maybe it's never been his intention to say this.

If they signed to a label, we'll get to know about it sooner or later though.

1 hour ago, Kuro said:

I won't say anything about Dir en grey because I didn't really listen to anything before Vulgar.

But comparing Gazette's changes to DIMLIM's is not working.

The change just from Chedoara to Misc. (and I do like Misc. while the rest was perfectly great, I don't hate any of these releases) is like what when comparing to Gazette? Akuyukai to Dim? Which's like six years of time with tons of releases inbetween?  While there's been like 1.5 years between Chedoara and Misc.? With just two releases inbetween that at least halfway still give off enough vibes of what DIMLIM released before? That comparison doesn't work for me.

Yeah they changed. They try. They maybe fail (even though that might be very subjective). And that's alright. But it's true that you one first needs a solid base to put all these tries onto that still will carry on with the band.

Just heading from one thing to another and yet another all the time ain't helpful. This year ain't helpful, too and that is of course nothing the band is responsible for. Question is still, if they want to survive as a band (enough fans to make enough money to keep going) or not. And that's what I'm wondering myself: Do they want to be around in 5, 10, 15 years or do they just want to make music for fun? For the latter they don't need to care about fans and money. Which still leaves the question for how long they can go on that way.

If they signed to label, maybe there finally would be some direction they could follow.

But from the things Retsu said months ago I never had the feeling he wants to give anything out of his hands when it comes to decisions. It's just my impression maybe it's never been his intention to say this.

If they signed to a label, we'll get to know about it sooner or later though.

Dir En Grey's Gauze and Macabre sound like debut albums by 2 very different bands. 

While it's only 1.5 years, the releases in between Cheodora and MISC did hinted the style change with Emotions (lol) the bridge between Cheodora and MISC. Their first live limited release was an alt rock and an alt metal song which was different from Various.

Hope we get new news from Dimlim but I got assured they are still alive from Retsu's IG story that they are working hard and that's something coming up soon.  

Btw Retsu posted on IG he's in nyc,nothing on why he's there and he seems to be a rich kid so he may not think about money and is all about art lol. 

Edited by zerozeroninex

There were some tiny hints on Kidoairaku but that's been it. There're even more hints on Rijin than on Kidoairaku which again held more of Chedoara, that's why Misc. was such a surprise for almost everyone. As I said, I don't mind Misc., I like it. But it's still not the banger than their stuff before had.

In the end I don't care what they're doing.

I think they shall try things out, if they like. I always am of the opinion that artists should do what they like instead of what others expect them to do. But they have to live with the consequences resulting from this. If they lose most of their fans by changing over and over again because they want to try out many different things but complain about their fans not being supportive it's just whiny and pathetic. No one expects them to change as well as they can't expect no one to love those changes. That's simply it. Those who love them for being these people will follow them anyway. And those who (only) love them for their music might quit, if that music changes and ain't to their liking anymore. That's simply how things are.

And yeah, I didn't think they're about to quit, right by what Retsu put up on IG. Yet I don't care about what he puts there as long as there's no release announced it doesn't matter. Since I don't trust what's about to come until I hear it, I don't care about words.

1 hour ago, nekkichi said:

if y'all are gonna be reaching for a tangible comparison for damlam and their current/future trajectory, try initial'L

don't even try it with global neckbeardbreath legends dir en gray and visual icons the gazette x

Are you the one that Retsu blocked on Twitter?Seems you really hate him now lol. I've also seen your post in the Dexcore thread about Dimlim so I think you'll just trolling lol. 

35 minutes ago, zerozeroninex said:

Are you the one that Retsu blocked on Twitter?Seems you really hate him now lol. I've also seen your post in the Dexcore thread about Dimlim so I think you'll just trolling lol. 

I left twitter years before your much admired ensemble formed x

r8J2f4s.png

Edited by nekkichi

1 hour ago, zerozeroninex said:

Are you the one that Retsu blocked on Twitter?

That would be my friend and pretty much all the bangya who used to go to Dimlim. lmfao

This is old drama and I'm way over this band so idc anymore. Here's your tea.

My friend tweeted about how awful Dimlim was after their live at Aoyama Rizm last November, saying how it's time for Dimlim to be taken out back.

She wrote the tweet in English and, despite Retsu being utterly terrible at English, he understood that her comment was critical and he blocked her. 
This also happened to a few people I know who don't like Dimlim, which proves that Retsu ego searches "Dimlim" on Twitter and blocks anyone that writes anything critical about the band like the edgelord that he is. 

Surprisingly he never blocked me (probably because I'm not very active on SNS), but he blocked everyone I know who used to go to Dimlim even though they supported the band for years and didn't do anything to wrong him.

Retsu's always been a douche but this was the nail in the coffin for me and the few bangya that gave 3-man Dimlim a try.

His Twitter was suspended though so the evil has (partially) been defeated.

2 hours ago, zerozeroninex said:

He's now slightly active on IG if anyone is interested lol

I don’t think anyone here is lol

btw, my two cents on the LatAm performances: they sold well because of Chedoara. I know of people who asked for a refund or resold the ticket once Misc. came out. 

50 minutes ago, Komorebi said:

I don’t think anyone here is lol

btw, my two cents on the LatAm performances: they sold well because of Chedoara. I know of people who asked for a refund or resold the ticket once Misc. came out. 

They haven't sold out any overseas shows before MISC was released and they only sold out in Brazil,I believe in February, a month after MISC was released and the other shows were still selling well and they even got a new Mexico date after MISC was released. 

Because believe it or not there are math rock fans and if Japanese math rock fans can't get Tricot or Sokoninaru to play in their country, Dimlim was close enough lol. 

Edited by zerozeroninex

Because believe it or not there are math rock fans

literally everyone knows j-indie is a tragic, no1curr genre that makes VK, another no1curr genre, look prosperous and worldwide present in comparison

Japanese math rock fans can't get Tricot or Sokoninaru to play in their country

exactly

r8J2f4s.png

Dimlim was close enough lol. 

dimlim base is literally 90 % vk 10 % jindie even if the latter part currently looks deceivingly more active because vk stans stopped caring.

the numbers never went up and retsu won't pull this band out of whatever state it is in alone x

12 minutes ago, nekkichi said:

dimlim base is literally 90 % vk 10 % jindie even if the latter part currently looks deceivingly more active because vk stans stopped caring.

the numbers never went up and retsu won't pull this band out of whatever state it is in alone x

Where's your source of these numbers? If you can't give one, then it's also all speculation on your part. 

35 minutes ago, zerozeroninex said:

Where's your source of these numbers? If you can't give one, then it's also all speculation on your part. 

Jeeez, why are you so intent on defending DIMLIM so hard? XD As I said I used to (and still do) love all their stuff before MISC, but if people are even questioning if the band is dead and are completely losing interest in the band something is clearly wrong with what they're doing, or not doing..... haha.

+ Is kind of ironic that Issei was kicked from DIMLIM for what seemed to be similar reasons to behaviour Retsu has been showing. Wanting total control and being melodramatic blocking anyone who says anything negative about DIMLIM online and all that. That's pathetic.

My assumption is that MISC is what it is because that’s the best type of music to write when you’ve only got a guitarist, a drummer, and a vocalist. And really I can’t imagine what Dimlim sounded like live as three piece playing Chedoara material. When the laptop freezes there goes the bassist and other guitarist. 

3 hours ago, zerozeroninex said:

They haven't sold out any overseas shows before MISC was released and they only sold out in Brazil,I believe in February, a month after MISC was released and the other shows were still selling well and they even got a new Mexico date after MISC was released. 

Because believe it or not there are math rock fans and if Japanese math rock fans can't get Tricot or Sokoninaru to play in their country, Dimlim was close enough lol. 

In Chile most people lost interest after Misc., I should know. They literally had less than 10 stans here and have like 3 left. 

Three people who were hyped about the concert told me personally they aren’t going anymore and I know some of their friends aren’t going either 🤷🏻‍♀️

They had to cancel the first date in Mexico because they had sold less than 20 tickets, they rescheduled the second date to see if they would somehow sell more with the album release and they haven’t.

Edited by Komorebi

1 hour ago, Saishu said:

And really I can’t imagine what Dimlim sounded like live as three piece playing Chedoara material. 

As someone who went to all four lives they did after Ryuya and Taishi left, horrendous.

They also got soooo boring. Retsu plays guitar while facing the wall like a fucking jackass, Hiroshi just does his thing in the back (except in September and October when they put his drumset in kamite/stage left), and Sho just stands in one spot and sings. 

All four times the audience didn't know if we should head bang or just stand and listen, so each live everyone moved less and less until the December oneman where no one did anything except the dousurundai?! 👎 thumbs down furi in ambitious and jump during the chorus of vanitas.

After 8 years of going to hundreds of lives in Japan, those 4 concerts were all in my top 10 worst lives I've ever been to.

25 minutes ago, Saishu said:

Considering Taishi joined another band earlier this year, I’d say his health issue was that he was sick of Retsu

That was a session. He still does session sometimes, as well as support for Verxina, but I don't think he wants to be in a band full time anymore.

A friend of mine who's been a fan of him for years says he does, indeed, have health issues, but I do agree that he left mostly because of Retsu.

I actually heard Taishi, Ryuya, and Retsu fighting before their set in July (the door to the backstage area connects to the bar area of the venue), and lo and behold a few days later Ryuya and Taishi's departure announcement came. 

11 minutes ago, seys said:

@Duwang Just curious, what did the band look like during the lives?

There are fancams on YT of 2 full sets from 2018 and some songs from 2019,when Ryuya and Taishi were still in the band.Retsu has always been boring to watch since he majorly plays lead guitar,Sho never really moved around that much while singing or growling except for the occasional headbanging during breakdowns.

Now I think Retsu (and Sho) got disillusioned with vk,they intentionally wrote a math rock album and blocked old fans to weed out vk fans lol.There was this interview where both he and Sho dissed other modern vk bands and Ryuya was no comment, when the interviewer asked why the band didn't invite vk bands in a taiban they organized lol.

3 hours ago, nekkichi said:

they have one mathrock stan (that's you.) their other 9 former stans are in this thread. all other fans were blocked by retsu on twitter. if you do the math you'll see the 90:10 ratio I'm talking about!!

I love What's Up?! but honestly I didn't watch it's mv 283k times lol

48 minutes ago, seys said:

@Duwang Just curious, what did the band look like during the lives?

Since they dropped vk? God it's already been a year so it's a little fuzzy, also I was definitely drunk 2/4 of those lives.
They didn't wear makeup at any of those lives except Sho wore foundation to cover the five o'clock shadow.
Pretty sure they wore the suits in their artist photo, except I remember Retsu had green hair and wore the ugliest green plaid suit looking like an abingdon boys school reject at the November live, maybe he did for the December live too, which reminds me that they definitely changed their hair up every time since they were only playing once a month even long before the lineup change. I remember Hiroshi had blonde hair at one point, Sho had shorter hair then grew it out for December.

Edited by Duwang