Spike760

Dir en grey

Fuckyeahbangya had proofs about Tooru Nishimura not being Kyo's actual name, same for Die being Daisuke. But I don't remember very well; I think I remember reading that Die's true name is Manabu and Kyo's Hironori? Or something like that. Maybe someone might correct me.

Edited by saiko

2 hours ago, saiko said:

Fuckyeahbangya had proofs about Tooru Nishimura not being Kyo's actual name, same for Die being Daisuke. But I don't remember very well; I think I remember reading that Die's true name is Manabu and Kyo's Hironori? Or something like that. Maybe someone might correct me.

I did a quick google search and this came up

Kyô -> Nishimura Hironori (in Japanese 西村 宏則)

Toshiya -> Hara Toshimasa (in Japanese 原 敏政)

Kaoru -> Niikura Kaoru (in Japanese 新倉 薫)

Die -> Andô Masaru (in Japanese 安東 大)

Shinya -> Terachi Shinya (in Japanese 寺地 晋也)

Can someone post a good produced/mixed/mastered song and a bad one and then point out where it's good and bad cuz I'd really like to understand what fans are talking about.

On 8/15/2020 at 5:47 PM, TheTrendkiller said:

I did a quick google search and this came up

Kyô -> Nishimura Hironori (in Japanese 西村 宏則)

Toshiya -> Hara Toshimasa (in Japanese 原 敏政)

Kaoru -> Niikura Kaoru (in Japanese 新倉 薫)

Die -> Andô Masaru (in Japanese 安東 大)

Shinya -> Terachi Shinya (in Japanese 寺地 晋也)

That's true, at least according to ASCAP (the American rights society that handles their credits stuff in America, I guess).

Don't know where the Japanese fans got the kanji from, though. Their source is a different one than ASCAP... still wonder about that tbh

2 hours ago, Desqui said:

Can someone post a good produced/mixed/mastered song and a bad one and then point out where it's good and bad cuz I'd really like to understand what fans are talking about.

That’s kind of impossible. I mean at the end of the day it’s still a matter of preference. Someone could point you in the direction of a song from the remastered Uroboros as an example of a good master, but I personally can’t stand it. Most people here don’t like how The Insulated World sound, but I do. So I don’t know. Someone else can tackle this. 

10 hours ago, Desqui said:

(I know this is from a demo recording, but I'd argue it's well produced+mastered)

For best results listen with headphones and crank it
The snare drum attacks you because the waveform isn't compressed into a brick, it's spikey and has peaks. Because some parts are allowed to be quieter than other parts, stuff like that stop-start breakdown around 1:10 hits hard and feels really punchy.

The recording's got a nice room ambience, the toms rumble. There's a sense of space, everything is where it should be in the mix. 

A++++++

play this at an equivalent volume

Soso production, not-so-good mastering. Notice how the drums don't really punch through. Everything is kinda flat and fighting for space. When the "loud" part comes in around 1:50, it doesn't really hit you like it should, because the "quiet" part before it is compressed to be basically just as loud as the loud part.

C-

Bad mastering, bad everything else:

this re-recording. play it at any volume, it will be loud no matter what volume you have it at. notice how it makes your ears bleed. every sound feels like it's coming from everywhere and nowhere at once.

F-----------

Generally speaking if production/mastering isn't something you care much about and isn't something that can impede your enjoyment, it's best to keep it that way. It can be such a pandora's box for people who get anal about stuff.

Edited by hopefully_benign

5 hours ago, hopefully_benign said:

Soso production, not-so-good mastering. Notice how the drums don't really punch through. Everything is kinda flat and fighting for space. When the "loud" part comes in around 1:50, it doesn't really hit you like it should, because the "quiet" part before it is compressed to be basically just as loud as the loud part.

C-

Literally no clue what you're talking about lol. The loud part hits just as much, if not more than the breakdown part from that Kuroyume song you posted.

19 hours ago, Desqui said:

Here's a pretty good example.

Kiss's first album:

The follow-up album:

Hotter Than Hell is a good album as far as Kiss goes; but it sounds like dogshit compared to their debut. The Producer, Richie Wise, took responsibility for the "sub-par sonics".

Kyolf Kytler. 

Now, comparing those three songs... Kuroyume one just sounds very weak, lack of oomph and stuff. Maybe my ears are used to loud stuff, but that just screams "music for old people". 

19 hours ago, nekkichi said:

what are we thinking about mastering and production choices on this, girlies?

you forgot about "mixing", we can't leave that out.

https://natalie.mu/music/pp/direngrey10
Based on this interview, Josh Wilbur mixed the title song.
Google translated the sentence "──今回の表題曲ではミックスエンジニアにジョシュ・ウィルバーを起用してますね" as "── Josh Wilbur is appointed as the mix engineer for this title song."

Josh Wilbur mixed Ochita Koto no Aru Sora, Jens Bogren mixed CLEVER SLEAZOID (and disc 2 of TIW).

Mastering on all songs was done by Brian Gardner.

The lyrics not being available in the digital release done on Kyo's wishes, but they'll be included in the Pia Arena MM special package.