Kira_Uchiha

How do you guys deal with depression?

Hi @Kira_Uchiha, I just wanted to applaud your tremendously positive attitude in staying focused on what is important to you because not many depressed people do! Whilst it is important to keep moving forward, I hope this does not mean you feel you have to keep improving or 'make something of your life' so to speak, because that's just another kind of pressure.

On 2/21/2018 at 1:43 AM, meat said:

Hi @Kira_Uchiha, I just wanted to applaud your tremendously positive attitude in staying focused on what is important to you because not many depressed people do! Whilst it is important to keep moving forward, I hope this does not mean you feel you have to keep improving or 'make something of your life' so to speak, because that's just another kind of pressure.

Thank you :3

But you know, sometimes a little bit of pressure mixed with motivation is needed to keep going, and I realised that, albeit too late. I learned from my mistakes in my relationship about how complacent I was with myself, and that being stagnant drove me into a dark place. I don't want to do these things out of obligation towards my ex or anyone else, I want to do these because I believe it will help me being more productive, and happier. Ofc I will have to be careful not to burn out too.

how i deal with depression or any kind of problem is-

i note down all my worries or problems in notepad and makes a kind of checklist/to do list

and solve each problem one by one. :) it helps a ton .

After dealing with depression for a few years, I'll give some of my pointers (that worked for me.)

Seek Counseling/Support Group/Family

When things got rough for me, and I was feeling my worst; I felt like the last thing I should do was to "push" my problems on someone else. I would conflate that idea to completely isolating myself from friends and family, not making contact whatsoever. In that distorted mindset, you feel like everyone is better off without you and no one should worry about you, etc., but that is not true at all. Everyone still worries about you, and you're making it more difficult for yourself to get the help that you need.

We spend a lot of time thinking about ourselves, and our own failures/problems, so we have a tendency to think that others are thinking the same about you. That's absolutely not the case. Try your hardest not to dwell on the past b/c ultimately it's about who you become, people can change. Your past doesn't have to define you, in your eyes.

I was especially scared to tell my parents I was dealing with depression, b/c they didn't really "believe" in it at the time. I too convinced myself I was purposefully being lazy and neglectful, but when you spend a lot of your day sleeping/not moving/ignoring hobbies... that's not normal...

Like a couple others in this thread, feel free to inbox/dm me. I'm not a professional, but I certainly don't mind giving advice/people talking to me.

Please seek guidance from another individual, that one person or persons could be the catalyst for you to get better. Don't be ashamed of seeking counseling. I think more people need counseling, it's extremely helpful.

Getting a Physical/Blood Work/Medication

I ended getting up getting blood work done after coming home to find out I had a sharply elevated red blood cell count compared to previous tests done. Turns out that was from my lack of oxygen b/c of constricted nasal passages -> poor sleep, hence my constant tiredness (a sleep study might reveal sleep apnea, but losing weight & allergy medicine (helps passage constriction) has worked like a charm so far.) I was pretty sedentary for a long time, so I was severely out of shape too (which exacerbates said problems.) So while I was gradually becoming more fatigued (lack of oxygen/poor sleep, shit diet, no exercise) I was also taking on more classwork/work which caused a snowball effect.

If you can, seek your primary physician and get yourself checked out, you never know if it could be something else. Otherwise, don't be afraid of medication. Just make sure if you have any side-effects that make things worse, stop immediately and  seek your doctor for alternative options. 

Diet & Exercise

Yes, I did get a gym membership... I know there's a lot of hesitation b/c of costs, but I can assure you it is wholeheartedly worth it. I worked with a personal trainer for a few months and lost about 11kg/25lbs in that time-frame. I still have a lot more work to do, but I'm getting closer to a healthy weight. I feel better and I look better which has made me much happier :D. 

Stop the soda, stop the fast food, take vitamins/supplements, and cook for yourself. Drink water, drink water, drink water, drink, water... It seems like a hurdle at the start, but trust me it gets easier, so much easier. Also, go outside and get some fresh air, it helps too. You are what you eat/do.

Getting Organized

So once I got into an exercise/dieting routine, that helped kick-start my organizational tendencies.

If you make a daily planner, it helps put "meaning" into everything. It helps you inject more discipline into your life, which I find much more effective than looking for motivation. No, don't wait until someone tells you to do something, or you're prompted to do something -just do it, no excuses. It might seem cumbersome at first, but it helps structure your life tremendously.

You don't have to follow this in verbatim. Ultimately, everyone is their own and different things work for different people... But, I think these choices can help dramatically improve your quality of life.

Edited by colorfuljinsei

I used to be depressed quite often in my teens and as I've gotten into my late 20s and now almost thirty it only hits me about the last week of the month almost like a male PMS; that might very well be it, but there are certainly times when I feel down or lost or very anxious or just in a state of discontent. My girlfriend has bi-polar depression, so she'll just fluctuate, but I can almost predict when mine will come around. All of this might actually have something to do with how I strengthened myself mentally after my last break up a few years ago and I either toughened up (doubtful lol) or I've internalized everything which I already know is unhealthy as fuck. Anyway, food for thought. I just remember how I used to have depression so bad that I didn't want to do anything or even get out of bed. These days it's like I get seized by option paralysis and there's so much to do that I just default to the usual and that even after becoming a minimalist and getting rid of all kinds of things that distracted me before, but that's a topic for another day.

It's so fun to see when people are mourning when celebrities talks about depression or committed suicide, but when it comes to the closest relationships, friends, parents, they always, like, "you? Depression? Pff, no", when I'm trying to describe my feelings and thinking about suicide, trying to get help, everyone pretending that nothing happens at all. I dont want to deal with it. When I was 15, I thought it would be good to die at 35. 

I'm turning 28 next week, and the last couple of weeks my mind was changed. Doesn't matter how hard I try, I'm tired. I have no interest in life. Tired to change myself for being good for everyone, to be worth to hear a single cheerful word. I'm not sure I want to wait until 35. If life brings nothing but pain, there's no reason to wait?

Too deep thoughts for the lunch break, huh... I'm working with people who turned 95, 98, 100, 102. I'm here I am, almost 28, moving like a puppet doll, emotionless, trying to hide tears. Forgot how to live without "I want to die, I want to die, I want to die" in my head, every day, every fucking second.

On 11/14/2020 at 6:47 AM, 少女椿 said:

It's so fun to see when people are mourning when celebrities talks about depression or committed suicide, but when it comes to the closest relationships, friends, parents, they always, like, "you? Depression? Pff, no", when I'm trying to describe my feelings and thinking about suicide, trying to get help, everyone pretending that nothing happens at all. I dont want to deal with it. When I was 15, I thought it would be good to die at 35. 

I'm turning 28 next week, and the last couple of weeks my mind was changed. Doesn't matter how hard I try, I'm tired. I have no interest in life. Tired to change myself for being good for everyone, to be worth to hear a single cheerful word. I'm not sure I want to wait until 35. If life brings nothing but pain, there's no reason to wait?

Too deep thoughts for the lunch break, huh... I'm working with people who turned 95, 98, 100, 102. I'm here I am, almost 28, moving like a puppet doll, emotionless, trying to hide tears. Forgot how to live without "I want to die, I want to die, I want to die" in my head, every day, every fucking second.

I'm sorry but no one really cared about Chester Bennington before too all his talks about depression no one cared

Even their last album was regarded the worst one they've done yet 

After commiting suicide they loved it 

All those cringey comments "this song saved me, screamed like a demon went like an angel, one soul to save a million" 

If he was somehow saved everything nice said about him would be taken back, 

Its hard finding someone you can open to because what you expect of a friend is someone who'll call you every once a week to see how you hold up maybe hangout twice a week

But no one really cares everyone is so materialistic 

Im a fond believer in my religion but I don't want the peace and sheen it brings me I want to find it within the people like you who've been clouded with what could've been, 

What is your definition of depression? 

Is it that empty feeling that comes at you end of the day or start? Is it what could have been? Feeling sad for others but you actually contribute to their sadness without noticing. 

I know you want to do right I see a potential that can't be matched but chained and all you want is someone to walk with you

I'm sure you don't want to leave without helping others, but let me ask you, what has your life been to this point? 

You don't enjoy movies like you used to, authors words don't carry any weight, talking is cheap everyone can talk, 

I spent almost a year homeless I went on because I knew how merciless people are and two faced but there are some who are much deeper incentive caring and who can be so much more

But you'll sit there and think the same thing as me "for what?" I don't blame you.