Sign in to follow this  
Ozileras10

Which one of these bands is the most popular? DeG, Mucc or The GazettE

I’m curious to know which one of these bands is the most popular The GazettE, Dir en Grey or Mucc?

if possible rank them

Edited by Ozileras10

I say it really depends. Do you mean in general, or within the Vkei scene?

In general, Dir en Grey definitely ranks highest, having combined popularity within the Vkei scene and within the general heavy metal scene. There are surprisingly a ton of edgelords who like Dir en Grey, but think all Vkei is trash (and therefore refuse to listen to any Dir en Grey album made before Uroboros)

But within Vkei, the GazettE definitely outranks Dir en Grey. You can go quite a bit in a vkei community without hearing about Dir en Grey, but not 5 seconds without even hearing about The GazettE. 

Now Mucc is a pretty interesting case. I say Mucc definitely ranks somewhat on the top 10 most popular VisualKei bands list, but they have a specific part in the Vkei scene where they rank supreme, only behind one other band: MisshitsuKei. MisshitsuKei is one of those vkei forms that fall under the umbrella term "erogurokei", and it comes from the name of Caligari's record label, Misshitsu Neurose, which Mucc used to be signed to. Though MisshitsuKei is now a rarely used term, go on a few dead Eroguro-AnguraKei communities, and look at discussions of favourite bands, and you'll see a few common trends. Mostly people talking about Caligari and Mucc, with Guruguru Eigakan, Inugami Circus Dan and Metronome ranking just behind. Modern Mucc can't really be described as MisshitsuKei however, since they have expanded since signing to Universal and Danger Crue. Also, the most popular band in the confusing sea that is the Eroguro-Angura scene (Which I for years erroneously considered bands like Kuroyuri to Kage to be a part of), they're still outranked by Caligari and maybe Guruguru Eigakan. Their influence on other influential bands, such as Kagerou and Girugamesh, though, can't be denied. But among all these 3, I say they're the least popular. 

In japanese audience, I would rank this way:

DIR EN GREY

MUCC

the GazettE

For overseas, most seem to get more crazy with the GazettE even than DIR recently, so it may rank like this: But is kind relative.

the GazettE

DIR EN GREY

MUCC

I can only speak for Germany, but from my experience here, it's DEG > Gazette > Mucc.

The first two were often seen in an old music magazine called Rockoon, Mucc on the other hand was no name.

I think aside of (and maybe even more than) DEG and Gazette, bands like Ancafe and Girugamesh were the most popular J-bands in Germany.

They appeared in countless youth magazines, even the BRAVO. But the J-music time has long since faded and I'm always surprised when I'm outbid on ebay on a German seller's item.

I do believe it was Dir en grey > the GazettE > MUCC at one point.

Sales wise... I mean what to they include just music? Lives? I mean... 

Now I really do feel that it is

the GazettE > Dir en grey > MUCC

There were more people at that GazettE show in LA than I remember for Dir en grey at the same venue during their peak. 

Maybe they still dominate in japan but overseas... the GazettE is def #1

From what I've seen in Japan at fans or from random adds it's probably Dir en Grey > the GazettE and then MUCC. I saw a lot of Dir en Grey merch on people on the streets too XD. And literally everyone outside of the v-kei world I'd talk to about v-kei didn't know who MUCC were (funniest encounter was when a girl in my uni asked me who L'Arc en Ciel was and me and my Japanese teacher turned at her and yelled at the same time "WHAT DO YOU YOU DON'T KNOW THEM?" XD). I don't know much about the GazettE (other than what I've heard from some friends who stan them hard) but they seem quite popular in Japan and much more popular overseas.

I've had one time a girl tell me that she used to listen to MUCC when she was in middle school but that was it. But thanks to me, a handful of friends still living in Japan who don't like v-kei at all know who MUCC are, what they look like and so XDD.

I think the difference comes down to genre. Because DEG have been around on the non-VK metal circuit both domestically and overseas, they're easily the most well-known of the three. Despite being a big name in the VK scene, the GazettE haven't really achieved widespread appeal; outside of their core audience, I don't think many people really listen to them. At this point I would say MUCC has outgrown the GazettE, since their music has expanded beyond their origins and onto the more mainstream music scene domestically.

Sign in to follow this