Sign in to follow this  
Mamo

Post-black metal/Blackgaze/Symphonic black metal/Experimental black metal

I am not turned off by the image of a band often, but Ghost Bath's interviews, videos and live performances were a little too much for my taste haha

Heard of Madman's Esprit before, going to check them out later. DWEF are indeed really good, I also recommend Ära Krâ if you like them, even though they are disbanded by now unfortunately.

Yeah, Ära Krâ isn't too bad. Didn't like them at all upon first hearing them, but a few years later I tried again and liked it quite a lot. A good and interesting mix of black metal, metalcore and post-rock.

Show Me Wolves and Funeral Sutra are other bands that blends black metal and metalcore in a pretty good way. 

8 hours ago, Kaleidoscope said:

I am not turned off by the image of a band often, but Ghost Bath's interviews, videos and live performances were a little too much for my taste haha

Amen. Ghost Bath were way better when we had no idea who they were and everyone thought they were from China.

I couldn't care less about bands' looks or image just the music. Although having an awesome look is nice, but good music is definitely far more important. Also I actually love all of Ghost bath's albums. They have 3 albums now btw @Bear

Funeral (February 2014)

Moonlover (April 2015)

Starmourner (April 2017)

Starmourner is cool af, like I mentioned earlier brilliant guitar work.

I actually forgot about Funeral, but I guess that says it all really. Such a forgettable album. As mediocre as music gets. But Moonlover is good. Even the artwork is good.

While not a band within the genres mentioned in the OP, I'm still gonna post this band as they're black metal.

Wigrid! The debut album were highly influenced by Burzum, and I would guess especially Det som engang var and Burzum/Aske. Albeit with a more depressive twist to it all. The second album is also very Burzum influenced, but it's slower and contains much more traditional depressive black metal riffing similar to what you'd hear in Strid, Nidhoggr and Nyktalgia.

I'll have to go with Hoffnungstod as the best of the two albums, but both are absolutely amazing. Hoffnungstod is a modern classic and one of the best black metal albums of the 2000's imo.

The reason I had to post this is because I am a huge fan, and I am gonna get dressed and walk up to my local mail office and pick up Discography Box Part II, which is the second tape box that collects every Wigrid and Elfenblut (pre-Wigrid) material, with the exception of the two tracks from the latest split release. I liked the first one a lot, so I will be pleased about getting this too. Like the first box it also contains a 3" CD with a track.

This is fantastic, reminds me a bit of pre-Sunbather Deafheaven, but they definitely put their own spin on it. Highly recommend this album, already ordered the vinyl!

Unrequvited's new album is out as well, I only listened to one track so far, but it sounded super promising.

got recently into this album,and the vocals and the riffs are pure evil !!! so good

the production reminds me a bit the first darktnrone albums

i guess most of you guys already know it.but i had to share it

the whole nihilistic and misanthropic concept of these two EP's are so cult and powerful.along with these amazing artworks and lyrics.

whenever i listen to this it almost takes me to a state of meditation about me as a human being

Edited by Manji 卍

I was really let down by the new Abigor tbh. Not a bad album, but with the press release hinting they would go more back to the roots and all that. Yeah, it's much rawer than their latest outputs, but the music is a bit too chaotic and dras too much from more technical black metal bands like Deathspell Omega. Not a bad album, but disappointing.

One of the most underrated bands in the genre btw. Everything up until, and including, Satanized (A Journey Through Cosmic Infinity) are excellent. 

And Mgla are one of the best bands of the genre in the 2000's, and with the exception of "With Hearts Towards None" (which wasn't quite as good as the underrated Groza) they just keep getting better and better, with "Exercises in Futility" being their magnum opus so far. Exercises in Futility so damn brilliantly written, produced and performed that it's absolutely insane. It also features the best drumming on a black metal album since Mayhem's "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas". Darkside is a man that just keeps getting better and better behind the kit. A very unique drummer.

And since Mgla is mentioned I just gotta name drop a few other great Polish acts from the 2000's:

Szron

An all over fantastic band that has done no wrong so far, but really stepped up their game with the masterpiece that is Zeal. Death Camp Earth are excellent as well. Musically they're a bit more rocking than Mgla.

Kriegsmaschine

Band that features M. and Darkside of Mgla. And lot more in your face and brutal than Mgla, but very good. The first EP and album are both excellent. Last album was also good, but overall a bit slower, more dissonant and grandiose and more progressive. Darkside's drumming are insane throughout the entire album.

Plaga

Started out ripping off Mgla in a very good way with their demo, but manage to find more of their own style with the EP, which I personally don't like. The album went a bit back and has more Mgla influences again, but not strictly ripping them off. Good shit.

Furia

Started out as a fairly regular black metal band with influences from Mgla, Szron and black metal in general, but has gotten more experimental with time, moving more and more away from traditional black metal. And it's not experimental black metal per se, it's more half-n-half black metal and experimental music. Prefer their later, more experimental music tbh.

Actually that album from Abigon was my first "contact" with the band.and i gotta assume that it's not a accessible album at all,

you gotta have a kind of "black metal" ear to appreciate that and it will be still hard to dive into.

as you mentioned there's some chaotic/apocalyptic tracks,but the guitar tone and the angry on his vocals was what capture my attention

thanks for the recommendations,just checked Kriegsmaschine and Szron and i really liked them both

i recommend this one,it's a perfect marry between doom/stoner metal,with some thick electric wizard guitars

and awesome black metal vocals.really dark/filthy atmosphere

this one is for those who've been looking for something similar to Filosofem

Edited by Manji 卍

Ghost Bath's funeral is on spotify now: 

Edited by Mamo

hmm...i tried the autumn for crippled children and sunbather and i can say it not my cup of tea...sounds like just...you know 'noise' lol?

Well,this topic seems to be very dead,but i wanted to share some  fuckin Finnish black metal album,with awesome artwork,melodies,

ancient feelings,decent screams and clean vocals.Get ready to travel.

I've posted this in the metal thread, but it just didn't get any love for some reason so I'll post it here too. Melodic black metal/crust that balances perfectly between the two genres, offering atmosphere, and heavy and crushing riffs. That opening is basically a Mgla rip off, but I do not mind that at all. A beast of an album!

Not all of these are exactly new at least not brand new but they haven't been mentioned here. All of these are masterpieces and instant classics imho. Some Post-metal, Post-black metal, Blackgaze stuff from An Autumn For Crippled Children and Deafheaven and some noise, black metal, drone, experimental, industrial, dark ambient from Gnaw Their Tongues:

Edit: Oh also Sigh's Hier to Despair

Black Metal, Avantgarde, Experimental

Edited by Mamo

Sign in to follow this