Gesu

What are your reasons for reading (and maybe even submitting/spreading) rumours?

I'm writing something at the moment, and one of the main themes is gossip and rumours. Personally, I choose to distance myself from rumour mills, but the concept of them has always fascinated me.

Now, if you've been in the J-rock community/fandom for a certain amount of time, you'll know that, regardless of whether you love or hate them, rumours are quite a large part of it. As I said before, I don't personally involve myself in the rumour side of things, mainly because I almost never believe them and because I think some of them can be... weird, so to speak. Still, I'd like to know what it is about them that interests people about them. Is it basically the opposite end of the spectrum I'm on (i.e. because people do believe them and because they don't find them weird), or is it something else?

I'm not very much into rumors, though when I stumble upon something about bandmen I like I read it out of curiosity. Sometimes rumors are so weird it's actually funny, so yeah. People read them just for fun and nothing wrong with that as long as you don't blindly believe into everything you read.

As for spreading, yeah. People get angry, jealous or simply want to have fun at someone else's expense.

I think that rumours, wether they may be true or not, say something about a persons characteristics and circumstances, which is why i read them, to gain knowledge about someone/something that interests me. I dont participate in keeping the mill going tho, im a lurker when it comes to rumours.

For me it's just fun. Some of them are so weird that imagining the person doing what the rumour says is hilarious. But that's the thing, people are weird. Most people get up to shit we consider "weird" in their personal time, so these rumours could easily be true. Anyway, it's similar to reading those gossip/shock story magazines out of curiosity. 

Rumors are interesting imo because if there isn't a kernel of truth to them(pretty easy to tell by the language being used) then it becomes more telling about the person spreading them. I try not to be reactionary when reading rumors online as that leads to people spreading obvious lies, but it is a fascinating aspect of vk that's hard to ignore. Especially in modern vk, the bands write songs that are directly about it now, provoking more gossip. I used to read gossip blogs because it was a fun distraction and a look into an aspect of the culture we didn't have in the US, now I find it to be almost necessary for understanding/appreciating some band concepts and lyrics.

5 hours ago, PIZAZ said:

Especially in modern vk, the bands write songs that are directly about it now, provoking more gossip.

You're right about that. I believe it's what Mousou Nikki is about (more specifically, a girl obsessed with a VK musician and believing every nuanced detail about him so as to add to her delusions), so it's no surprise that a grand total of nine bands covered it. In fact, I'm actually listening to DIV's cover as I type this, so if that ain't a coinkydink.