Sign in to follow this  
Gesu

Candy Japan

Soooo, for no reason whatsoever, I decided to start a thread about some sweets I'm gonna be getting twice a month. I'm getting them from this website, in case you were interested: www.candyjapan.com/

Also, the box art is the cutest thing ever. ba8TzCO.jpg

Alright, so, let's see what's inside! By the way, I can't read Japanese very well so I have no idea what these are or what they'll taste like until I open them.

Spoiler

1. mb7Hg34.jpg

They're... interesting. Not sweet at all, but savoury and quite salty, so definitely not what I expected. Either way, they were good, although my friend says they taste funny after you have too many and that they have an aftertaste. I give them a 7/10 and my friend gives them an 8/10.

2. BBBInB1.jpg

So, as is evident from the packaging, they're grape-flavoured. They have a very strong scent that hits you as soon as you unwrap them, and they taste pretty strong too. My friend says "it tastes kinda like nail varnish. Like... it tastes the way nail varnish smells. I mean, it's not unpleasant", if that's anything to go by. I mean... I sorta get what she means? Ish? I dunno. My only real qualm about them is that they're stuck to a very sticky sheet that's really difficult to remove. Anyways, I give them an 8/10 and my friend gives them a 5/10.

3. QPen44T.jpg

They taste... weird. Like barbecued sweet potatoes. My friend says it tastes like if you put honey on a roast potato skin. Like the first thing we tried, she said they taste kinda weird if you eat loads of them. I give them a 5/10 and my friend gives them a 6/10, so I let her keep them instead of us sharing. She says they're not even that nice but they're addictive, so she wants them.

Last but hopefully not least, 4: OyaOf18.jpg

They look very... interesting. It's a Meiji product, and I've had their little panda bear chocolate biscuits before at a convention. They were really nice, and so were these, surprisingly. I say surprisingly because they look a bit like crayons and I'm told by my friend that they're green tea-flavoured, or something similar (I don't like tea in any way, shape or form). They have kind of a bitter aftertaste that bothers me slightly, but they're still good. My friend and I both give them an 8/10.

Alrighty, so, I have no idea why I just reviewed all that, but it was fun. I'll probably do it next time they arrive, which should be in two weeks. Who knows, though? It might be earlier. Considering that these sweets arrived today when they were supposed to get here on the 14th, it wouldn't surprise me.

1st one are edamame-based, japanese restaurants/izakaya places typically serve that as well; it's a salty soybean snack.

iirc heterosexuals get it to compliment beer.

matcha chocolate is that binch tbh;

I haven't tried the exact variety you've got but they basically vary from very bitter ones with just a subtle hint of a milky flavor from the cocoa butter to a candied variation of a sbux matcha latte (less on tea flavor, more on sugar), but they're extremely addictive once you get the taste for them like mark my words a month from now you'll be ordering a crate from rakuten directly.

The time has come yet again! This time, I only have three things to tell you about, but they look good! I can sort of tell just by looking at them that they should be sweeter than last time.

Spoiler

kubHmfX.jpg

The company who makes this is Muscat, in case you were interested (I shoulda put which company made which sweets last time... oh, well). Not sure if they're the same company who made the grape gummies from last time, but when I opened them up, they had a very similar smell. Obviously, these ones are also grape-flavoured... and grape-shaped! Like the smell, their taste is also pretty much identical to the grape ones from last time. I am almost certain the last ones were made by Muscat as well. As with the last grape gummies, I give these an 8/10 and my friend gives them... nowt. She's not here. I'll save some for her.

oc42m82.jpg

Kanro made these. The packaging says the orange ones are orange soda-flavoured, the blue ones are soda-flavoured and the reddish-brown ones are cola-flavoured, so as you can imagine, they're quite fizzy... not that I mind. They're not the kind of fizzy that makes your face scrunch up and your drool hang off your chin *cough cough* Toxic Waste *cough cough cough*. The orange ones are my favourite. Anyways, these are amazing. Exactly what they say they are, and absolutely delicious. 9/10.

3frQ4UD.jpg

Good ol' Meiji! I don't even think it's possible to go looking for Japanese confectionery without coming across Meiji at least once. As is evident from the packaging, it's some chocolate pocky. Quite basic, but more often than not, the simplest methods are the most effective. This is no exception! Never before have I seen such thick pocky. There's just so... much... chocolate... ahem. Also, I like how it comes in three separate little pouches of three sticks so you don't feel tempted to eat them all at once well, I do, but shh. Anyways, it's another 9/10 from me!

I was very pleased with this fortnight's shipment! Hopefully, the next doesn't disappoint. :)

P.S. I'm supposed to wear glasses but I wasn't while typing this, so forgive me for any typos.

Well, this came much earlier than expected! I still haven't finished those fizzy soda sweets from last time. I have a grand total of five things to review this time, and they look good!

Spoiler

EoELLiw.jpg

So, fun fact about me; I can barely read Japanese at all without my little guidebook, and nearly everything on this packet is written in Japanese, so the only way I could find out which company made this was by looking on the back and finding their website URL. Anyways, they're called Coris, and these sweets - as written in English, thank goodness - are plum-flavoured chews. They smell quite nice and they look kind of like little light pink gumballs. They're not gummy, but they're soft and they taste pretty sugary. I give them a 9/10!

XCWuzf2.jpg

These ones are made by Morinaga. They look and smell... odd. Okay, so they don't look bad, but they're not like anything I've ever come across before. Before even tasting them, I can tell they're apple-flavoured, because... well, look at the packaging. Anyways, they're actually not bad. I think they're tiny apple chunks in Rice Krispie and nut squares (or oblongs), and they're unusually addictive and sweet. I give them a 7/10.

weElp2W.jpg

My, my, is that some dark chocolate I see? I absolutely love dark chocolate (which is odd, as I usually hate bitter things), so yippee! It's a big crispy dark choc fish made by Meito. Unusual design choice, but cute. It tastes a little different to other dark choc I've had before; probably because it's crispy, so it's not as rich. It's also got this smooth, bubbly chocolate inside... basically, it's like someone took a Quaver, coloured/flavoured it like an Oreo, then filled it with Aero and shaped it like a fishy. Anyways, it's good. My only criticism besides the lack of richness would be the fact that it's just one big fish and not loads of little ones, so if you're not the sort of person who likes to shove things back in the packets for later, you've gotta eat it all in one go. Thankfully, I am that sort of person, so I give it an 8/10.

I98IS1I.jpg

Next up is a packet of crisps from Calbee. They kinda remind me of those stick potato things I reviewed in the first post, so they're... not great. Not awful, but not great. They're kind of bland and they have a vaguely sweet aftertaste and I'm not sure how I feel about it. Not much else I can really say about these... I give them a 5/10.

xnNyeEq.jpg

Last but not least, we have an adorable little train! I know my laptop camera's kinda crappy (I don't have a good quality camera... or even a smartphone, because they always break on me -_-), but if you look reeeeaaaal close, you can see little people in the windows! How cute is that? Now, it says Azusa on it... whether that's the name of the company or a reference to the Japanese train company Azusa, I don't know. I looked on the bottom, but all the writing was in Japanese. Anyways, it kind of reminded me of a Pez dispenser before I even opened it, and after opening it, I can see why I thought that. It's long, and it rattles, and it functions kind of like one, too. You open it at the back first and take out this little baggy of tiny chocolate balls, then you empty them out into the train. You then push open the little flap thingy on the bottom and tip them out! 10/10 for design and 6/10 for taste (they're a little bland), so I guess that's an 8/10 overall? Or am I being too generous in my reviews? Maybe.

My favourite shipment is still the last one with only three items. Here's hoping the next one can top it!

I have returned with more sweets! Only three this time, but when you see the mahoosive packet I have to show you first, it makes sense.

Spoiler

KjK2qBZ.jpg

This one is made by Kameda aaaand… it says "wasabimayo" on it. Now, I've never actually tried wasabi before, I don't think, but I know it's notoriously spicy. I can normally only do mildly spicy food, but this actually isn't bad at all, as I discovered while taking a tentative nibble. They come in individually wrapped packets, which I like, and they're pretty nice-tasting. As I mentioned, they're quite mild, but if you're like me and you can't do spice, I'd advise you to eat it quickly and not suck on it or keep it in your mouth for too long, because it tastes a lot more spicy if you do. Anyways, it's a 7/10 from me.

03AaXHO.jpg

Iiiit's CHOCOLATE! Hoo, boy, do I love me some chocolate. And it's made by... Bandai? I didn't even know they made chocolate! Anyways, this product is pretty simple; nutty milk chocolate around a white chocolate dinosaur. Honestly, I would eat the whole lot in one go, but I promised my friend I'd save some for her. It's a solid 10/10 from me! Seriously, if you want to impress me, just feed. Me. CHOCOLATE.

5PebADi.jpg

From Meiji, we have some more crayon-looking things, only this time, it's not matcha-flavoured… it's COOKIE AND CHOCOLATE-FLAVOURED~! That means they're better, lol. Not much to really say about these, as I can never say much about chocolate because a) we all know what it tastes like, and b) we all know it's delicious. Again, 10/10!

Kind of an easy review this time. Here's hoping I get even more chocolate next time! On that note, I have to go make a non-chocolatey dinner.

Sign in to follow this