CAT5

Favorite J-rock Guitar Solos!

Yeah, I know. You'd think a thread like this already existed here, but somehow, it doesn't. :lol:

(well, there was this old thread, but that's not exactly the same thing.)

So yeah, what are some of your favorite guitar solos in J-rock? You know, those solos that are so damn soulful that they sucker punch you right in the feelz, those solos that absolutely melt your face off with their sheer technical prowess, or those solos that are just inexplicably memorable! Whatever the reason, what are some of the guitar solos that have spoken to YOU?

A somewhat recent solo that's become a favorite of mine is in "PHANTOM" by lynch. It actually caught me off guard, since I wouldn't typically expect it from this band, but man, I found this one to be pretty powerful. It's very clean and traditional, but it's also very soulful. They definitely hit all the "right" notes, and for me, the solo is the apex of this song. Listening to this was what initially prompted me to search for a thread like this, and subsequently make this one. The solo starts at about 2:48.

Spoiler

This is probably the most recent J-rock solo that's cemented itself in my head. Though I'll probably post more at a later date. What are some of your favorites?

(also, please use spoilers if you add video)

Ooh Ooh! Great Thread @CAT5!

I fucking LOVE PHANTOM btw.

We all know that the GazettE - バレッタ (Baretta)  is one of the most OG solo works to ever exist lol

(Solo starts at 3:11)

Spoiler

but to name a few favorites:

蜉蝣 (Kagerou) - 腐った海で溺れかけている僕を救ってくれた君 (Kusatta Umi de Oborekakateiru Boku wo Sukutte Kureta Kimi)

(Solo starts at 2:49)

Spoiler

ayabie - 桜舞う季節に (Sakura Mau Kisetsu Ni)

(Solo starts at 2:35)

Spoiler

and surprisingly, An Café (but at that time they were known as アンティック-珈琲店 (Antic Café)) - Aurora

(Solo starts at 2:19)

Spoiler

and I gotta throw in my own fave from lynch. with their song "Fallen"

(Solo starts at 1:43)

Spoiler

Oh boy, I'm hyped up just searching for and re-listening to these. :D Here it goes.

BOØWY - DRAMATIC? DRASTIC! ~ from 1:48-ish

I love Hotei so much. This solo is very much him: fun, melodic, sprinkled with technique and memorability too.

CLICK HERE to watch cuz embedding is disabled for this vid

BOØWY - CLOUDY HEART ~ from 2:24-ish

GodDAMMIT, I love Hotei SO much. One of his simpler ones, but DAT FEELING, MAN (couldn't find my fav performance but this will do).

CLICK HERE to watch cuz embedding is disabled for this vid

LUNA SEA - STORM ~ from 2:29-ish

YOU. CAN. NOT. TELL. ME. THAT. THIS. IS. NOT. THE. BEST.

Spoiler

BUCK-TICK - 細胞具ドリー:ソラミミ:PHANTOM ~ from 2:10-ish

Imai is one of my top fave musicians but he's pretty shit at guitar solos and goes off on random tangents most of the time live after the first few bars (kinda feeling like "ok, let's get this over with" xD), but occasionally he does something unexpectedly hilarious/brilliant like here. The studio version of this solo is pretty meh but I love how he goes into the "Mary had a little lamb" melody here, which is especially clever seeing how the song is about cloning, cyborgs and questions of identity.

Spoiler

BUCK-TICK - NATIONAL MEDIA BOYS ~ from 2:37-ish

Again, a case of the live rendition of the solo being more random and fun (but the studio ver. is good too imo).

Spoiler

Edited by Jigsaw9

hide - Dice

This was my first hide song ever and this solo has always stuck with me.

Spoiler

Versailles - Love from a Dead Orchestra

This has always been my favorite Versailles song, and the solo has a lot to do with that. Perhaps a touch "noodley," but not enough to make it feel like just pure fast guitar wankery, and there is enough substance here that I find it incredibly memorable.

Spoiler

Dir en grey - Cage

I'll be the first one to admit that this one is over rated as heck...though perhaps not any more (do people even talk about early era diru anymore? lol). That said, it's still quite catchy and a bass solo still is something you hardly hear. When I thought of guitar solos in Jrock, this is one of the first ones that jumped in to my mind.

Spoiler

NoGod - Guren

Perhaps this would be in the "runner up" category for me in terms of solos, but I still enjoy this one a fair bit. It also reminds me of how much I miss early NoGod.

Spoiler

I know I am missing one major one for myself here. When I first saw this thread, I knew exactly what song I needed to include. But for the love of god I can't remember what that song is anymore.

7 hours ago, YuyoDrift said:

We all know that the GazettE - バレッタ (Baretta)  is one of the most OG solo works to ever exist lol

BROOOOOO!!!! I forgot all about this song! Definitely one of the best from the Gazette. I always liked Uruha and Aoi's sense of melody.

I listened to the other solos you posted and I feel like I got a good sense of the solos that move you...they were mostly very clean-sounding and straightforward, but they seemed to convey a sense of nostalgia too, if that makes any sense!

@Jigsaw9 - I never explored Hotei or BOOWY, but those are definitely cool. I'm especially liking the 2nd one. AND LMAO @ IMAI. I never knew that about him, yet somehow that just seems completely fitting. 🤣

@Ito - CAGE is iconic!

The first ones that come to mind.

VII-Sense - Silent Assassin

Spoiler

Kiryu - Kyuubi

Spoiler

Blitz's Deep Labyrinth

Spoiler

Edited by Alkaloid

Oh, I like where this is going. I have a ton, but here a couple of really safe picks that I need to name:

the GOAT

X has a ton of really, really memorable solos, but this is my favorite.

X - Silent Jealousy

Spoiler

One of my all time favorites. Kouichi is a GOD. Don't ever forget it.

Laputa - Breath

Spoiler

PIMP SUGIZO THE GAWD

SUGIZO - SUPER LOVE

Spoiler

I love SUGI more than anything and he probably wrote other 20 other great solos with LUNA SEA, but I've always loved this song and this solo is amazing to this day.

and lastly (oooooh, I should have included LASTLY...)

華月 gives us a solo to remember in lost graduation

Spoiler

Raphael - lost graduation

A few more favorites:

88kasyo is known for sick guitar antics, but this have to be one THEIR best solos ever! You can tell Katzuya is just jamming out here, but it's still badass.

八十八ヶ所巡礼 - 惡闇霧島 (2:40 -ish)

Spoiler

One of my favorite AYA songs...the solo here isn't anything outlandish, but the melody has always been super catchy and memorable to me.

亜矢 - 禁じられた歌 (3:20-ish)

Spoiler

Another one of my favorite songs, this time by Tokyo Jihen. The solos during the outro/fade-out just completely pushed this song over the top for me!

東京事変 - 遭難 (2:24-ish)

Spoiler

Torikago ~L'Oiseau bleu~ by D Has got an AMAZING guitar solo at the beginning, as well as all through it. It's a slower, gentler song but I enjoy it a lot. 

when i think of guitar solos, i think of sakito's solos in the first place. his guitar playing style is so graceful and gentle. naito made truly genius and unique music back then.

Spoiler

old but gold ♡ my favorite one.

another one is by 9gbo. it's simple, but sounds demonic. uta's guitar sound is priceless.

Spoiler

and last but not least, megaromania. this one is gothic and cute, gives you princess in an old dark castle realness. 

Spoiler

Usually, when I think of Kagrra, I think about their beautiful musical composition and Shin's amazing koto solos, which deserve great praise. However, I also love the guitar solos in their songs. Songs that pop into mind are Shizuku and Boukyaku no Hate no Kogoeta Kodoku. It may not be the most technically amazing or innovative. But, for me, the solos in both songs are evocative and touched the soul. In a way, I felt it perfectly expressed the meaning of Isshi's lyrics.

Kagrra, - Shizuku (Apologies for the low quality! The solo begins around 3:42.)

Spoiler

Kagrra, - Boukyaku no Hate no Kogoeta Kodoku (Once again, apologies for the low quality! But it's emotionally wonderful to hear live. Solo begins around 2:36.)

Spoiler

And I also have to add this song by SCREW. When I first saw the topic, I thought of this song, Wailing Wall. Another "dark edgy" band,  but it's one of my favorite songs by them and I enjoyed the guitar solo in it. It starts out by repeating the catchy main theme at first, and then transitions into a quieter interlude with a couple of notes being softly played. Afterward, the second phase of the solo breaks out its fast-paced notes with a subtle shrieking sound at the end. It's not ground-breaking, but I love  its 'wailing' sound, which I think fits the song title, lol.

SCREW - Wailing Wall (Guitar solo starts around 1:50)

Spoiler

I'm going to have to think on this one and come back at some point, but off of the top of my head-

The guitar work on older Ayabie combined with Aoi's vulnerable vocal performances is what made me fall in love with them originally. Melodic, nostalgic and emotive.

D have a ton of great guitar driven songs and memorable solos, this is one of my favorite older picks. Gets me pumped and feeling badass every time.

and finally, my favorite Matenrou Opera song. Guitars are speedy, impressive and appropriately epic throughout, slowly amping up to an amazing climax. Vocals deserve a special nod for being theatrical without being ott and overshadowing the rest of the song.

THE BLACK SWAN - 赫音-justitia-

This is a song that I listen to basically just for the solos.  I love the way the two flow with each other and how it seems like it’s one solid solo that one guitarist is doing.  The solos last for an entire minute but it doesn’t feel out of place or lengthy at all for me and I love every second of it.

Spoiler

Starts at 2:22

黒百合と影 - チャイルドマザー

I don’t know if they’re actually solos and I don’t know much about terminology, but I love the 3 guitar parts at 0:20, 1:08, and 1:57 and couldn’t imagine this song without them

Spoiler

ギャロ -  夢葬

I’ve heard this one over 100 times by now and it never fails to catch my interest.  Maybe it’s not the most special solo but it always leaves me thinking “Wow, he’s really good at guitar...”

Spoiler

Starts at 2:19ish

SCREW - 幻影の鎖

I mostly just have a lot of nostalgia for this one but I feel like the solo really brings out the emotion in the song.  It’s simple and doesn’t really try to stand out on it’s own, but it’s always been a memorable one for me anyway

Spoiler

Starts at 2:23

妃阿甦 - xx奴隷

Pretty much all of Takayuki’s solos are good but I just like this one the most.  It’s very in your face and I remember being quite impressed and inspired when I first heard it. 

Spoiler

Starts at 1:25

Femme Fatale - L'Oiseau Bleu

I think this is a really pretty song and the solo adds an intensity and an emotion to it that I can’t quite describe, but I can certainly feel it.  Maybe it’s just the production, but the song also has a sort of “rough draft” feel to me and I like that

Spoiler

Starts at 3:02

Picking a favourite is hard, but Moran's cover of Mousou Nikki stands out to me (solo starts at 1:50).

Sizna is the most underrated guitarist there is and you cannot change my mind. His playing throughout is phenomenal, but that solo really caught me off-guard (in a good way) when I first heard it, especially the end part.

Edited by Gesu
Found a better video

Lareine  - Saikai no hana.

I specially love to pay close attention at 4:21

I'm thankful the band decided to remake the song and make the fullest of it.

Edited by seikun

14 hours ago, robkun said:

“DESTROY” by Gargoyle, hands down. Sheja is not from this world.

Shoutout to Amoeba Life (あめえば らいふ)'s cowboy-esque solo!

Edited by Laurence02

I totally agree with Gazette - Baretta and X Japan - Silent Jealousy.

With Luna Sea the options are endless but I love this particularly tasty and restrained Sugizo solo

Due Le'Quartz is also hard but when a solo is the course its hard to argue against

Edited by Reiko