Sign in to follow this  
violetchain

Next Music from Tokyo vol. 14 (Canada)

Is anyone going to NMFT this year? I skipped the last few for various reasons, but I'm going to the Friday show in Toronto. It's always worth seeing, but the organizer promised a more upbeat party vibe this time around, so I'm hoping it will be a bit more my speed than the last one I saw.

It's only $15 if you buy tickets in advance, and you get like 5 solid hours of entertainment, so I highly recommend it even if you're just mildly curious.

Line-up: imai (from group_inou), STEREOGIRL, Koutei Camera Girl Drei, TAMTAM and KO-GO-NO GORAIKO-Z

Shows: https://www.nextmusicfromtokyo.com/shows

ETA: Actually, I just realized I skipped more than a few - looks like the last one I saw was vol. 9. Really liked THIS IS JAPAN from that one, but I can't remember much about the rest of the bands besides jizue playing a cover of When You Wish Upon a Star when we walked into the venue.

Edited by violetchain

The second Toronto show is tonight, in case anyone was considering going.

This was a really great line-up - one of the best in a while. They were all good, but the winners for me this year were definitely KO-GO-NO GORAIKO-Z and imai.

KO-GO-NO GORAIKO-Z were really playful - plus they have a drummer-vocalist, which I didn't notice from the video preview. Super entertaining set, and I think their music lined up the best with my taste. If I remembered to buy a CD this year, it would have been theirs for sure. Was so dead at the end that I totally forgot.

imai was insanely intense. We were like directly in the middle of the audience, and he was making some serious eye contact with the crowd, so my friends and I all felt like he was like staring directly into our souls for his whole set. He didn't need any time to warm up at all either - he was dancing like a beast from the very first track. Can't help but dance when someone is giving you that much energy. This was from the end of his set after he'd been dancing and headbanging like this for about 40 minutes straight:

Someone posted video of KO-GO-NO GORAIKO-Z as well, although it doesn't really capture what made them so much fun:

Koutei Camera Girl Drei were good too, but they went last at like 12:30~1:00 am, so my legs were basically giving out at that point and it was a bit hard to get too into their set. They were much more aggressive than I was expecting from the preview, which is a big plus for me. Thought they had a more laidback sound.

Edited by violetchain

Sign in to follow this