psychonnect_rozen

Coolest sounding band names?

25 minutes ago, AwesomeNyappy said:

Anti Feminism were such a not-so-okay band. Everything about them screamed provocation for the sake of provocation. Or they really just admired Hitler, who knows.

I thought they were cool. Except the fact they had Tax Frauding Pedo in the band for a while

Edited by psychonnect_rozen

3 minutes ago, psychonnect_rozen said:

I thought they were cool. Except the fact they had Tax Frauding Pedo in the band for a while

I....didn't even know about that, wtf.

Yeah, I draw the line as nazi imagery. I don't know what is a bout vk bands and just using nazi symbols like they are some kind of joke. It's what I mean when I said they just want to provoke. They just seemed like boys who just used shokcing material for sake of being shocking, and that I just find meh.

3 minutes ago, AwesomeNyappy said:

Yeah, I draw the line as nazi imagery. I don't know what is a bout vk bands and just using nazi symbols like they are some kind of joke. It's what I mean when I said they just want to provoke. They just seemed like boys who just used shokcing material for sake of being shocking, and that I just find meh.

Eh, I’m not super offended by it. But I can understand why people would be. 

They did have the USSR flag in a live video on a Matina compilation so that was a thing

1 hour ago, AwesomeNyappy said:

Edgelord-kei

4 hours ago, AwesomeNyappy said:

Anti Feminism were such a not-so-okay band. Everything about them screamed provocation for the sake of provocation. Or they really just admired Hitler, who knows.

KENZI is just nuts.

Not Japanese, but I always thought Screaming Trees was a fantastic name. I don’t really like their music though lol.

Edited by robkun

21 hours ago, AwesomeNyappy said:

It's easy looking at vk bands to assume that French culture is really popular in Japan, but they're actually really into Germany over there. They admire many aspects of German culture and more or less view German people as their western counterparts. They were also military allies of Germany, so their admiration + history with them may lead to some WW2 fetishism. Of course, yes, there is probably an element of provocativeness there as well as that's a core part of early vk.

I assume most people here know this, but the name Anti-Feminism has nothing to do with feminism. It was an ironic comment on "feminine" fashion in vk at the time. I guess feminism was one of those English loan words that kind of had a different meaning in Japan, kind of like how "bitch" means "slut" over there instead of "mean woman."

Spoiler

That tends to either greatly disappoint or greatly relieve western vk fans, since very online far-left and far-right types in the west both tend to see weird japanese stuff as their own little cultural oasis for some reason. As if everything has to be about our weird political shit.

Drawing the line at nazi imagery seems pretty extreme. That renders like half the 70s punk canon off limits. Would you seriously refuse to listen to Siouxsie and the Banshees or The Stooges or The Ramones because they played around with the imagery once or twice? Around the 80s, real fascist bands mostly moved on to more discrete symbols like celtic crosses and kolovrats--ironically a swastika is a pretty good indication that a band isn't seriously political in any way at this point. Basically a modern satanic pentagram circa the satanic panic.

anyway, 'au†ism' were pretty ahead of their time, people definitely weren't obsessed with memeing that word back in the 90s like they are now.

Edited by hopefully_benign

is there a "worst sounding band name" thread? a couple of friends were discussing that a few days ago, and the final verdict was Rentrer en Soi

as for other band names that sound cool (at least to me)... the god and death stars 

1 hour ago, v3rmillion said:

is there a "worst sounding band name" thread? a couple of friends were discussing that a few days ago, and the final verdict was Rentrer en Soi

as for other band names that sound cool (at least to me)... the god and death stars 

On 10/9/2019 at 11:10 AM, astra☆ said:

It's easy looking at vk bands to assume that French culture is really popular in Japan, but they're actually really into Germany over there. They admire many aspects of German culture and more or less view German people as their western counterparts. They were also military allies of Germany, so their admiration + history with them may lead to some WW2 fetishism. Of course, yes, there is probably an element of provocativeness there as well as that's a core part of early vk.

Which is insane because Japan was an ally during WWII. They should feel ashamed using that imagery. Imagine a German band using the Japanese imperial flag. Of course I don’t assume that most Japanese bands know what this means to other people, they just want to provoke or use it as “fashion”. But I would strongly urge people to not tolerate such imagery, just because people don’t know better. They need to know. If they admire German culture, they should know that German people would despise them for this.

On 5/23/2019 at 2:00 AM, Gesu said:

Always thought DIAURA sounded pretty cool (in terms of their name and their music).

i'd be inclined to agree but whenever i mention DIAURA to someone (or when they see my DIAURA flyer on my wall) they almost invariably go "heh, diarrhea?"

i always thought JILUKA had a nice ring to it. i feel like "Nocturnal Bloodlust" would also get you hyped to listen to them

How are you guys pronouncing Diaura if it's sounding like diarrhoea?

da-i-a-ri-a / di-a-u-ra

12 minutes ago, NICKT said:

How are you guys pronouncing Diaura if it's sounding like diarrhoea?

da-i-a-ri-a / di-a-u-ra