Jigsaw9

Visual kei popping up in unexpected places

Did you ever just go about your life as usual, and suddenly saw a picture of a visual kei musician/band where you least expected to? Or did you notice an intentional (or unintentional) reference to J-rock somewhere totally out-of-place? I find it pretty fascinating whenever I come across something like this out of its usual subcultural bubble, makes me think whether the person who dropped that bit of VK in there did it knowingly or did it just happen by random.

Here, I'll show you what I mean:

In 2005 a Hungarian publishing house released a collection of short stories from Russian author Yuri Buyda (Юрий Буйда), titled "Porosz menyasszony" (Прусская невеста/Prussian Bride). The cover ended up being a photo of Mana (MALICE MIZER, Moi dix Mois) somehow...?

kmgy78Z.jpg

Issue #77 (October, 1998) of Todd McFarlane's famous comic book series Spawn apparently features a reference to X JAPAN on a whiskey bottle. I tried checking online whether this product was actually a thing, but I came up empty. Anyway, looks like ol' Todd might know a thing or two about Yoshiki & co. :D 

UlTnw0K.jpg 

Sl2KFny.jpg

I totally stole this idea from a metal forum, but I thought it would be fun to do with visual kei too.

Mods: if a thread like this already exists, pls delete this one and merge my post into it.

Found another one from Mr. McFarlane, this time it's Spawn issue #78 (so just after the previous "X whiskey sighting").

CmLpm7C.jpg

Funny thing: as the story of the comics progresses, sometimes we are treated to a page of three news anchor talking heads (like the above) commenting on current events happening in the world of the comic book. The first two characters are always seen with the same TV channel logo, but this third guy is such a don't-give-a-shit loudmouth that he constantly has to keep switching jobs at different TV stations it seems, as he is seen with a different backdrop/logo every time, lol.

I still swear that one of those stupid goofy-ass Japanese 'Human Tetris' gameshow things used part of Metronome's Computer as background music at some points, for example at around 7:20 or so in this one:

Almost one year ago, I mentioned a hentai VN called "Bangyaru!!", where you play the vocalist of a no-one-curr visual kei band. Also, Umbrella's first song is part of the OST.

Not to mention that the fictitious band's name is Laprimastra... and this could easily be a name of a real visual kei band kek

Edited by IGM_Oficial

15 hours ago, Tokage said:

I still swear that one of those stupid goofy-ass Japanese 'Human Tetris' gameshow things used part of Metronome's Computer as background music at some points, for example at around 7:20 or so in this one

Wow, that is Computer I believe! :D Unless in a plot twist it turns out Metronome actually sampled that synthline from this gameshow, lol.

it's almost as random of a thing as this one time some local Estonian news channel used the Silent Hill 2 dog ending song as bgm in one of their bits

If we're gonna do video games, Shin Megami Tensei is well known for using japanese youth subculture as an inspiration and Persona 2 (1999 and 2000) happens to be pretty heavy on the VK. One character is a struggling bandman and another one is a gothy girl who sports a classic kotekote era hairstyle (I think Nao from La'mule is most famous for wearing it but you see it on a lot of other guys as well) :

qysW7t6.pngfnQQNkP.png

Bonus video :

Was playing apb reloaded. its a online multiplayer shooter game, and on world chat someone was trashing talking and guess what was that player's name? Kisaki.

Not even kidding. wish had taken a screenshot :l

54 minutes ago, FOSCOR70 said:

Was playing apb reloaded. its a online multiplayer shooter game, and on world chat someone was trashing talking and guess what was that player's name? Kisaki.

Not even kidding. wish had taken a screenshot :l

Probably just a coincidence lol... Quite a funny one though!

9 hours ago, Jigsaw9 said:

The "X JAPAN references in Spawn" saga continues! In issue #87 I caught the romaji lyrics of "Forever Love" in a corner on a laptop screen, lmao.

NvvYiPf.png

We should organize a scavenger hunt of references in Spawn

51 minutes ago, Gesu said:

Does Ibuki Mioda fron Danganronpa 2 count? I think she counts.

latest?cb=20170706000915

probably close enough tbh 

also i love her and that game 

Edited by chipathy

12 hours ago, hopefully_benign said:

Excel Saga has a vk spoof in one episode but I can't remember which one/can't find it.
Maybe a late 90s piece of japanese media isn't that unexpected of a place to find vk. But still.

LMAO, I love that one. Also iirc in episode 1 Ilpalazzo is trying to learn guitar from a VK magazine (with some VK-ish dudes helping out) while he's screaming "VISUAL VISUAL!". :D 

1 hour ago, Jigsaw9 said:

LMAO, I love that one. Also iirc in episode 1 Ilpalazzo is trying to learn guitar from a VK magazine (with some VK-ish dudes helping out) while he's screaming "VISUAL VISUAL!". :D 

one of the funniest moments in that anime imo xD