Champ213

Any old school bands?

Just like the old one.

-----

Use this thread to ask for music recommendations. Perhaps this will reduce the redundancy of all the different recommendation threads being created.

Feel free to ask for recommendations of any kind. TW's?MH's community here is rather diverse, so I'm sure someone here will cater to it.

Since people will probably be asking for recommendations simultaneously, here are a few rules that will hopefully maintain order and keep confusion to a minimum.

* DO NOT randomly post a list of bands that are completely unrelated to someone's request.
* Refrain from any conversation beyond the topic at hand (in other words, STAY ON TOPIC AND DON'T SPAM). Irrelevant posts will be deleted as seen fit by the staff.
* When recommending music to someone, address them by their username or quote their post
* If you disagree with someone's recommendation, don't argue about it - recommend something of your own

Those rules should be a given, but they're worth the mention. Anyhow, recommend away!

Not looking for anything specific? Make sure to check out these cool threads before submitting a request!:

PROJECT MIXTAPE:
- 1st Edition
- 2nd Edition
- 3rd Edition

NON-VISUAL KEI:
- Underground Corner
- Indie
- Jazz
- Metal
- "Oldies"
- Touhou Music

Well, I posted this on the other TW, but no responses... Still looking!

I'm looking for a vocalist that sounds like Icchi from Canzel (since he's retiring, I need to fill that soon-to-be void).

Here's some example songs:

Allegro

Umbrella

Heart (this one's a ballad)

I don't care if it's VK or even Japanese, just recommend me a band with a vocalist that you think sounds like Icchi!

Thanks in advance.

I'm looking for bands similar to coaltar of the deepers, please?

some of theyr shoegazing/death metal stuff (if you know what i mean)

please and thanks.

Need just really good VK with good reputation, such as Dark Design Catalogue, Material Pain, THE Faded Film of a Japanese Sadness. Help? :B
If you're looking for something similar to Dark Design Catalog, I would recommend emmurée's Touei album. I preferred DDC way more though.

Japanese bands similar to Jinkaku radio.

Thanks in advance (:

Not too similar since this is post-rock but I think the vocalist of Blind Place sings in a similar way to Yuuki.

Hi, I'm looking for some good Japanese hardcore punk or thrashcore punk. Anything in the vein of Vivisick or Spiral Chord, preferrably something I can find and buy easily. Tolerable vocals and that nice raw punk vibe; a bit of melodic hardcore is also fine, but no poppy radio-friendly crap please.

Obviously no visual kei - been there, done that.

Bands of similar genre I already am aware of are: Gauze, Cocobat, SS, G.I.S.M., Cowpers, Gastunk, The Stalin, Typhus . . . just so they are not re-recommended to me. ^_^

Thanks in advance (:

Not too similar since this is post-rock but I think the vocalist of Blind Place sings in a similar way to Yuuki.
Thanks a lot i'm going to give them a try ;)

Thanks in advance (:

Thanks a lot i'm going to give them a try ;)
My buddy is Hiroshi, the brain/vox/gtr for BlindPlace. They do something that is different by most standards in Japan... for more GodSpeedYouBlackEmperor or Sigur Ros sounding. It doesn't seem like they're active anymore though, you can find stuff on their myspace page

BlindPlace on MySpace

I was looking for something completely acoustic, any suggestion?

At least an album, not songs from here and there ^^

Umm I'm assuming you're not specifically looking for Japanese bands like that, so I'd recommend Rodrigo y Gabriela. They are an acoustic duo and they each play the guitar. The interesting thing that makes these guys stand out is that they both have a background in metal, specifically thrash and you'll definitely hear it in their music despite it being acoustic. And since they are Hispanic they meld in some of that hispanic flair. They are really good so I'd totally recommend them. They have two full-lengths out, their latest, 11:11, being the best they have done so far.

I'm looking for a vocalist that sounds like Icchi from Canzel (since he's retiring, I need to fill that soon-to-be void).

Allegro

Umbrella

I don't care if it's VK or even Japanese, just recommend me a band with a vocalist that you think sounds like Icchi!

Thanks in advance.

If you ask vocalist which sounds exactly like Icchi, I don't think that exists.

Here's some good for listen(less or more like Canzel's sounds)

-toon factory(i think this band sounds alike canzel) : heart, last scene

-Bergerac : yume kimi ni mau no sugata

-Daizy Stripper: Dandelion, Rude Boy, Trigger

-vistlip : drop note.(from theater album) , alone, Ozone

-Born : Sakura

-ViViD: take off, w.b.a

Allegro

Umbrella

Thanks in advance.

Well I'm not good with this, but Icchi sometimes reminds me of Sou (ex.lolita23q)

Other than that he has a pretty unique voice.

I'm looking for catchy, upbeat rock, like

I already know about WHEREABOUTS and obscure.

If anyone knows where to get more stuff by ?????? and WHEREABOUTS too, please please PLEASE message me, but apart from that I'm after the softer catchy stuff^^

I'm looking for more relaxing, easy to get into, pop-rock Japanese bands. Some I really like are Mr.Children, remioromen and BUMP OF CHICKEN. Looking for more that have something in common with any of these three.

And I'm also looking for female vocalists with music in the style of Nana Mizuki mostly. Or sweet voices and simple music like YUI. But no overly happy "kawaii" girlgroups please.

I'm looking for more relaxing, easy to get into, pop-rock Japanese bands. Some I really like are Mr.Children, remioromen and BUMP OF CHICKEN. Looking for more that have something in common with any of these three.

And I'm also looking for female vocalists with music in the style of Nana Mizuki mostly. Or sweet voices and simple music like YUI. But no overly happy "kawaii" girlgroups please.

Do you listen to Chage & Aska at all? Most similar to Mr. Children. Also, Charcoal Filter, they're broken up now, but were really good. Similar to BoC. In that vein, I guess also Fujifabric, Straightener, Honey L Days, Yoshii Kazuya or tsubakiya shijuusou.

Idk about the last one as I don't listen to either Mizuki Nana or YUI.

I'm looking for bands that have a traditional Japanese music sound and/or uses Japanese instruments, like Kagrra for example. Or if you just know any songs that fit what I'm looking for.

Also, I love violins, accordions and harmonicas (or any other instrument that's not common in rock or pop music) so any bands that uses them I'm interested in checking out.

I'm looking for bands that have a traditional Japanese music sound and/or uses Japanese instruments, like Kagrra for example. Or if you just know any songs that fit what I'm looking for.

Also, I love violins, accordions and harmonicas (or any other instrument that's not common in rock or pop music) so any bands that uses them I'm interested in checking out.

Oto-oni, Kathakali, Quaff (I think), Heavensdust. There's probably more, but this is what's coming to mind atm.

And those fit the top description, not the bottom one, lol

Something new and unique that I may have never heard before. haha.
I think you should check out the Mixtape thread, you'll surely find something there. ;)

In addition to what has been mentioned:

??

OROCHI

Irodori

And I guess ?? (Kiryu) too.

I also have a weak spot for accordeons, I'll try to add some recommendations for that later.

Thursday: Thanks! Gonna check them out later.

Champ213: All of those sound pretty good! I used to have some Irodori stuff on my computer but for some reason I ended up deleting it, but I think I'll try them again.

Check out Rin':

I'm looking for some japanese Power Metal Bands, which means that I prefer guitar solos, fast guitar playing and such.