Traxan

Yoshiki documentary from YouTube, March 2020

MH's favorite whipping boy is getting the YouTube Originals treatment.

------------

"Yoshiki - Life Of A Japanese Rock Star", a new documentary series, is slated to premiere on YouTube Originals — the global, streaming platform from YouTube where you can discover original series and movies from today's hottest talent — in March, 2020.

Yoshiki was hand-picked by YouTube Originals as part of a select group of internationally renowned artists such as Paul McCartney, Justin Bieber, Ariana Grande, BTS, Robert Downey Jr., Will Smith, Katy Perry, Demi Lovato, Mark Ronson, Dwayne Johnson and Taylor Swift. The six-episode series marks the first documentary program from a Japanese artist to be featured on YouTube Originals.

"Yoshiki - Life Of A Japanese Rock Star" follows Yoshiki's many facets as a composer, rock drummer, classical pianist, and fashion designer and approaches the sometimes challenging behind-the-scenes reality of when music and passion intersect. "Yoshiki - Life Of A Japanese Rock Star" offers a glimpse into the life of an artist who is active on the global stage. Yoshiki commented that he hopes to inspire viewers as much as possible by discussing "why I became a musician, why I continue to be active, why I continue to exist."

On Wednesday, November 13, Yoshiki appeared as the surprise guest at YouTube's Brandcast Japan 2019, hosted by Google at the Ryōgoku Kokugikan, and it was announced that all six episodes of Yoshiki's documentary program "Yoshiki - Life Of A Japanese Rock Star" will be available for streaming on YouTube Originals starting March 2020.

Watch the trailer for the documentary which was revealed during Yoshiki's appearance at YouTube Brandcast Japan 2019 below.

YouTube Originals develops quality, original content for YouTube's streaming platform such as documentaries, movies, and live events featuring popular artists, creators, and productions from around the world in partnership with YouTube.

"Yoshiki - Life Of A Japanese Rock Star" will be streamed on Yoshiki Channel International.

40 minutes ago, nitta said:

Seriously , does this guy have important relatives or something ? :'D

Can you name another VK musician, or any Japanese musician for that matter, with the level of international recognition as Yoshiki? After him, who from Japan is known? Akira from Loudness is worshiped by guitar nerds, Baby Metal has some profile, Lovebites are growing popular in Europe but none of them come close to Yoshiki's profile.

3 minutes ago, Traxan said:

with the level of international recognition as Yoshiki?

FLCL chanteuses the pillows, ryuichi sakamoto, yoko kanno come to mind far ahead of mcdonalds collab sensation tbh

nobuo uematsu p much too

Edited by nekkichi

1 hour ago, nekkichi said:

A30ZOdC.png

I'm SCREAMING is this youtube comment shade or good sisT genuinely doesn't even know S.K.I.N. made an attempt a decade before The Album announce

I'm gonna cry. RIP my heart. 

2 hours ago, nitta said:

Seriously , does this guy have important relatives or something ? :'D

It’s obvious the label owes him favours/he invests his own money on this. 

There was a shill article on the Conde Nast owned pitchfork about the movie that was coming up on p4k’s sponsored fb adverts for well over an year, and writing about a band like X is 100% out of their usual MO. Another one to get such a baffling spotlight on p4k is BTS where their ”How BTS stays radically korean” is still appearing on my feed. This is obviously a paid deal with Conde Nast, and I have no doubt in my mind that this and stuff like X’s american festival gigs are more backroom deals than ”fuck guys, we got to get this dude from the market where no one speaks english and who’s recognised in the west only by crusty power metal fans and weebs who grew up in the early 2000’s on this next to Grande and McCartney.”

1 hour ago, Disposable said:

This is obviously a paid deal with Conde Nast, and I have no doubt in my mind that this and stuff like X’s american festival gigs are more backroom deals than ”fuck guys, we got to get this dude from the market where no one speaks english and who’s recognised in the west only by crusty power metal fans and weebs who grew up in the early 2000’s on this next to Grande and McCartney.”

lmao they probably threw that vogue japan cover as a freebie to appease the metal kween

Conspiracy theory:

the new album has been finished for a long time, but Yoshiki and the label are waiting for X to become a household in the US with all these promotional gimmicks before releasing amid every single bribeable corporate media outlet touting ”THE LEGENDS ARE BACK.” In Yoshiki’s mind the western breakthrough is due any day now, and only because of backroom dealing, share owning and yakuza favours from back in the day when X was printing money everyone is going along with his delusions and Japanese SONY execs are essentially obligated to make all these phonecalls stateside

”hey it’s me again. I owe this guy for all the coke and underaged hookers back in the day so can you just get him on the lineup? Just put him  somewhere in the back it doesn’t matter and we’ll sell it to him that he’s going head to head against Beyonce and she’s scared out of her wits that he’ll steal all the buzz. Yeah no worries he’ll buy it, he’s fucked up most of the time anyway...”

11 hours ago, Traxan said:

Can you name another VK musician, or any Japanese musician for that matter, with the level of international recognition as Yoshiki? After him, who from Japan is known? Akira from Loudness is worshiped by guitar nerds, Baby Metal has some profile, Lovebites are growing popular in Europe but none of them come close to Yoshiki's profile.

Disagree,

LOUDNESS is way more popular than XJAPAN ever was... Even now they tour and many go to their gigs, just not really know by younger people, but that's also because there are lesser people who are METAL HEADS.

next year LOUDNESS will even play 2 times in my country. 2 TIMES.... that's a lot..

Touring around the world even as ojisans now, and people love it!  ya know, they release music, stand on the stage, we can't say that from Yoshiki, 

Even Miyavi is much more popular. 

But still Yoshiki, I doubt that many people really know his name...

But it's a good way to make him more known to much more people.

However, I get tired of such dude, who actually didn't do a crap and still tries to live on his fame from xjapan years ago.... what other things he did do? 

Why didn't he make a new band to play with new people and try to make that new band popular around the world... 

Part of it may be tied into private money, part of it might be pandering to the Japanese market.

Part of it might just be Yoyo’s relentless networking, and his ability to pull of the “tragic artist haunted by the ghosts of his past” narrative.

Edit: I agree that he’s waiting for more buzz to release the album, but the way he’s going about it is terrible.

Trying to compete in the mainstream space with the Coachella faux hipster crowd is a fool’s errand. He needs to actually go where the rock/metal fans are to gain any traction. Talk to Marilyn Manson about getting an in with the large festivals. Try and get on 70,000 tons of metal. Then he doesn’t look like such an opportunistic try-hard.

Edited by GreatNorthernVK
Adding some more points

49 minutes ago, GreatNorthernVK said:

Edit: I agree that he’s waiting for more buzz to release the album, but the way he’s going about it is terrible.

Trying to compete in the mainstream space with the Coachella faux hipster crowd is a fool’s errand. He needs to actually go where the rock/metal fans are to gain any traction. Talk to Marilyn Manson about getting an in with the large festivals. Try and get on 70,000 tons of metal. Then he doesn’t look like such an opportunistic try-hard.

He's just completely illiterate to western culture and completely out of touch with the music business in general. In his mind, they're just one big break away from performing Endless Rain at the Superbowl in front of legions of crazed fans losing their minds and John and Jane decorating their bedrooms with X Japan posters. The Japanese rock sensation takes over America! It sounds like big in Japan, except over 30 years ( in some cases 40 ) after the fact. They make fun of Japanese game developers and etc. sometimes for being so rigid and resistant to change or whatever, but what about an aging "rock star" thinking that letting people know how big of a rock star he is that he'll make waves with a fucking poodle rock band in 2019 fronted by an asian grandmother who looks like fucking Yoko-Ono and where the second guitarist has the hair of someone who went to Woodstock 1970. I can't get enough of this saga, I hope they'll eventually write a book on how held on his dream of American conquest until the bitter end*

*and just in case someone doesn't know, their movie was literally only 100% a prelude to this big american break happening — and so far that hasn't happened. 

16 minutes ago, Disposable said:

*and just in case someone doesn't know, their movie was literally only 100% a prelude to this big american break happening — and so far that hasn't happened. 

I’m reminded of the recent South Park episode where the boys are trying to form a band, only to be approached by a manager telling them that they need an epic biopic first before they do anything else.

Has anyone ever watched that shilled to the max doc about X japan? does Yoshiki cries for 30 minutes because Hide died on it?

tbh I really wish Hide was alive because he was more talented than everyone on X, he sings even better than Toshi and would probably have released three albums worth of good music by now while Yoshiki would be doing nothing besides still thinking "making it" in the west matters.

11 minutes ago, lichtlune said:

Maybe yoshiki can set aside his ego and make a documentary of the real legend Hide. Or maybe he could make a documentary of the whole band and not just himself for once at least. 

THIS

Isn't Boris more popular than X Japan in the west? I mean, they've had many records be released by western labels. I'm about to see them in Germany soon. They're not playing the biggest place but they're definitely playing more shows in different cities than X ever did on any one of their tours.

I love X Japan but that doesn't mean I have to buy into that Instagram reality he portrays to the new generation of fans.

And the simple answer as to why he gets all these deals has nothing to do with his perceived popular - it's all about networking. I keep flogging this link like a dead horse but these search results show him doing the Hollywood party thing more than actually performing in concerts.
https://www.gettyimages.com/photos/yoshiki?groupbyevent=true&family=editorial&phrase=yoshiki&sort=best#license
Much like in all aspects of life, if you can convince (sell) the right people, you can get results quicker than just doing hard work. Hence we have a Youtube documentary for a guy who has barely released any new music in the last 20 years.

Edited by carddass