Sign in to follow this  
Desqui

His Dark Materials

On HBO

I'm on episode 3 and I'm so tired of main characters being kids who don't listen to adults or rules. 

All the YA movies, the more I watch the more mad I get that most of the time they're just kids not listening to anyone. I guess it goes for adults too. If someone says "Don't do X please", that character will go on and do it... like a rebellious kid. It bothers me. But most likely in that show, doing the wrong thing was usually the good thing. There's reward or justice or a very good excuse to have Not listened and done what that character wanted to do anyway. 

Man, I'm just really sick of this girl Lyra. Everyone should let her wander off to feel the consequence of her rebellion. 

The whole point of that is that adults are usually too caught up in their shit to think of different routes or ways to achieve a result. They're too close minded. Unlike a child. I agree that this trope it usually annoying as fuck, especially when it's a bunch of 16 year olds disobeying for the sake of LoVE, but here Lyra is one of those children destined to change the world so she should listen to her gut. The adults don't know that they're being an obstacle in her completing her mission by thinking of her safety first. 

Lyra is supposed to be insufferable though, even in the books she's a smart ass, talks back to everyone, knows everything and lies her way through any situation. The girl in the series is toned down in comparison. 

She's toned down? XD

Isn't that just the epitome character of what I'm saying though?

I find it disturbing I've come to this conclusion. I like giving adults grace because they were once children before. When I watch media with this trope I'm constantly seeking a competent adult character... but I guess so is that child character. And it's adults creating these stories too. Childhood trauma maybe?

Anyways, I was able to sit back down and continue the series and I see why Lyra's insufferable-ness has become useful. Thanks for helping me calm down.

Sign in to follow this