Sign in to follow this  
heresytrash

Advice for handling this girl at work.

So I work in production, I've been with this company for little over a year now and I do like the atmosphere most of the time as I get along with most of my coworkers and I'm part of a few committees that get me more involved with things like safety and what not. 

Recently we've been getting new temps coming in, which we lose at least 3 of the 6 that originally show up for orientation. It's a very different type of production however, so when they see what we do it really is easy for them to get confused and just walk off the job completely. Within our last group, only two lasted. One is great, but the other one (who we'll call CG) is starting to show signs of starting unnecessary drama and all around acting rude to people. 

She's a very religious girl, and while I can appreciate that she's passionate about something and loves God (even if I'm agnostic), the way she tries to pressure everyone at work to go to her church is a little unnerving. She's already stopped talking to two coworkers because they didn't show up to church, and she's constantly telling us not to smoke and drink though mostly everyone at work does smoke (and drink). I get that she's young too, and as I said I get that she's passionate about the church, but a lot of people that I work with aren't (including myself) and if they are, they don't normally talk about it or tell people to join their religion.

I'm the one who trained her at first. We do something call 'Full Cleans' on our rooms to prepare for the next product, and her first day of working was essentially with me doing said Full Clean. They're generally easy to do if you know the process, but I'm not going to go into the logistics of that. So I taught her the next day how to do one, and I must say she did good for her first clean so I was pleased. We were friendly with each other the first few days too, as I always try to be friendly towards the new people.

However not even a week later she started to show some attributes I don't like. One instance where I was talking to my friend/coworker about going out to drink, and CG just turns to me and says "Ash, you shouldn't drink." I laughed at her and said I drink on the weekends all the time, and she said once again "But you shouldn't drink, it's against my religion."  Then the next couple of days was sort of hard for me. I was trying so hard to clean one room, and because the machine has corners that are hard to get it kept failing the Quality Check. She wasn't in my room, but walked up to me and said "Ash, you should put me in your room so I can clean it so it can pass." When I didn't respond to her, she just said "I'm just saying." (I found out Friday she told another Operator to let her clean because she can do it better?)

Then another instance where another coworker tried to help her out with something as water was leaking from her room, and she yelled at him for doing it. He's a guy who's been there 11 years and takes no bs from anybody, so he told her (in Spanish btw) that she really needs to watch her attitude. She then turned him in to our supervisor for 'harassment'. (All because he was trying to help her clean up the water outside her room)

Sorry if this is long, but I felt like I needed to include some instances. I'm not as friendly towards her anymore, at least not more than I have to. I just don't know how to approach her anymore as I found out that she's been trying to start things with everyone. The last instance actually made me mad because even though that guy is kinda hard to get along with sometimes (he's got a different personality) he's a hard worker and will help you when you ask him.  We've even discussed her with some of our higher ups, but I think because she's new they wanna wait a minutes. (idk, it's all weird to me.)

I do hope I'm just wrong about her, but there was something off about her after a couple of days. Like she's being fake-nice. 

Also if this is not allowed here, please feel free to let me know or delete it. I just don't know where else to put this. I just wanna know if ignoring her is the best, or if having a serious talk with my supervisor about her behavior is needed. 

1 hour ago, heresytrash said:

CG just turns to me and says "Ash, you shouldn't drink." I laughed at her and said I drink on the weekends all the time, and she said once again "But you shouldn't drink, it's against my religion."

tell her ur wiccan and it isn't against urs, wicca is protected by first amendment & freedom of religion.

3 hours ago, heresytrash said:

the way she tries to pressure everyone at work to go to her church is a little unnerving. She's already stopped talking to two coworkers because they didn't show up to church, and she's constantly telling us not to smoke and drink though mostly everyone at work does smoke (and drink).

man-facepalming-type-6_1f926-1f3ff-200d-

Just want to address this first, but I'm a pretty hardcore student and follower of the bible, and "God" never forces anyone to do anything - he simply lays out the consequences and lets ppl know, "hey if you do this, things are gonna work out for you" and "if you do that, things ain't gonna work out so well for you". Ultimately, we make our own choices.

If she feels that she has to force or coerce people into her beliefs, then her religion is leading her astray. Nowhere in the bible does it say NOT to drink or smoke - this is just man-made doctrine. The bible does, however, warn against indulging in excess and suggests moderation, but that's about it. Hell, there are even some scripture that suggests a little wine can be good for you.

But yeah, this is where religious ppl get the bible wrong. It's not anyone's job to force, or convince, or try to convert anyone into "loving God". Forcing ppl to do anything is never a good idea, and ain't nobody got the power to convert anyone into anything. I mean think about it - do you want someone to love you because they WANT to ? or because they're FORCED to? So why would "God"?

If this girl really wants to "convert" someone, she simply needs to follow "God" and let her lifestyle do all the speaking. Your behavior...the way you treat others...how you move in this world...that's all a direct reflection of your relationship with The Most High. Some ppl will be naturally intrigued and want to find out more. Some won't give a fuck. It's not for everybody.

As for your work situation....

Here's what I'd do if I were in your situation, sis. And this will take a bit of spiritual maturity, but as bothersome as this girl seems, I'd just let her be. Now obviously, if she's hindering your work in any way, that's something you can discuss with your bosses or whatnot. But I would try my best to not take anything she does personally, and definitely don't let her shitty actions control how you react to her. Remain centered in your character no matter what.

Most ppl truly have no idea why they act the way they act....and that's not an excuse for their actions at all....i'm just letting you know that most ppl unknowingly outsource their "inner authority" to all sorts of forces out there that simply mean no good to anyone. So if someone is acting a certain way towards you and you can clearly see that they're full of shit, best to keep it moving and not even entertain that nonsense. Cuz best believe that person is gonna try to toss that bullshit on to you, and probably won't be satisfied until yall are both wrestling in the bullshit together. Best not to get caught up in it.

48 minutes ago, CAT5 said:

i'm just letting you know that most ppl unknowingly outsource their "inner authority" to all sorts of forces out there that simply mean no good to anyone

you're literally describing the way christianity is designed to work on the pedestrian, "god is my shepherd"-level of initiation, why

27 minutes ago, nekkichi said:

you're literally describing the way christianity is designed to work on the pedestrian, "god is my shepherd"-level of initiation, why

nah, Christianity has nothing to do with it. I'm actually alluding to the way spirits work. If you wanna discuss this with me, hit me up via PM, and we'll talk, but we're not gonna highjack this thread.

A little bit of an update; my supervisor ended up talking to her (with someone as a witness I guess) and he basically told her that while they don't mind she's religious, she can't hold coworkers personally accountable for not going to her church and that work is not the place for it. We do have some rules at my company regarding politics/religion as well in terms of discussing it, meaning if someone is not particularly comfortable discussing it than not discussing it at all is the best option. They're rather touchy subjects anyway.

I haven't talked to her lately though, and she hasn't really come to me so I think we both just realized ignoring the other is the best and I hope that she takes the supervisor's advice and just leave work as work.

Sign in to follow this