CAT5

D'espairsRay - Coll:set [Discussion Thread]

D'espairsRay - Coll:set   

33 members have voted

1. 1. How many stars would you rate this album overall out of 5?

• ★★★★★ - "One of the best VK albums ever"
    • ★★★★ - "Greaaat"
    • ★★★ - "Decent"
    • ★★ - "Blehhh. Way overrated"
    • ★ - "Coll:shit"
  2. 2. How would you rate the production quality of this album?

• ★★★★★ - "State-of-the-Art, especially for its time."
    • ★★★★ - "Great!"
    • ★★★ - "Average"
    • ★★ - "They recorded this in Karyu's closet, right?"
    • ★ - "YO WTF WHERE ARE THE DRUMS"
    • - "Bro I literally don't care about the production quality"
  3. 3. How would you rate Hizumi's overall vocal performance on this album?

• ★★★★★ - "Hizumi was a FUCKING LEGEND"
    • ★★★★ - "Above Average" (literally)
    • ★★★ - "Average"
    • ★★ - "yikes"
    • ★ - "more like...WHOzumi, amirite???" 😂
    • - "I'm not sure"
  4. 4. How well did this album age to you?

• Still sounds fresh, even today!
    • It shows its age, but the songs are still enjoyable
    • It sounds too dated for me to truly enjoy these days
    • The album's age does not matter to me.
  5. 5. What are your favorite songs from the album?

• 01. Infection
    • 02. Dears
    • 03. in vain
    • 04. Grudge
    • 05. 月の記憶-fallen-
    • 06. Garnet
    • 07. アベルとカイン
    • 08.「浮遊した理想」
    • 09. Forbidden
    • 10. 灰と雨
    • 11. Tainted World
    • 12. [The world in a cage]
    • 13. Marry of the blood ~bloody minded mix~
    • 14. BORN ~white stream mix~
  6. 6. Which do you think were the weakest tracks on this album?

• 01. Infection
    • 02. Dears
    • 03. in vain
    • 04. Grudge
    • 05. 月の記憶-fallen-
    • 06. Garnet
    • 07. アベルとカイン
    • 08.「浮遊した理想」
    • 09. Forbidden
    • 10. 灰と雨
    • 11. Tainted World
    • 12. [The world in a cage]
    • 13. Marry of the blood ~bloody minded mix~
    • 14. BORN ~white stream mix~
    • None

FFqMy3J.jpg

NLoVLJd.jpg

リリース: 2005年6月29日

レーベル: Maniac Records

01. Infection

02. Dears

03. in vain

04. Grudge

05. 月の記憶-fallen-

06. Garnet

07. アベルとカイン

08.「浮遊した理想」

09. Forbidden

10. 灰と雨

11. Tainted World

12. [The world in a cage]

13. Marry of the blood ~bloody minded mix~

14. BORN ~white stream mix~

YEEEEE BOIIII

Back when this album was released I was still a vk babby, so you know I sucked all of that sweet sweet mother's milk from...uhhh...Hizumi & co? Okay, this started out weird. But the fact still stands that these guys caught me in my most impressionable phase and left their mark on me with this full-length.

Before this was released, I wasn't paying too much attention to them, only knew a small handful of tracks, and even though those tracks were cool, it still floored me how amazing this album sounded and how tight the songs were. Everyone here was at the top of their game and you could hear the excitement, passion and the energy they put into the music, that can only come from such a young band.

When I've put it on in recent years it still holds up quite well, but there are some more average/mediocre moments... anyway, it is still my top favorite album of theirs and always will be a minor classic imo.

Favorites: tracks 1-4, 6-9 (and the rest are fine/decent)

Edited by Jigsaw9

I don't have anything to say about this because I've never listened to this band carefully, but I approve the insightful music-related discussion!

MH needs more of this stuff!

Thanks @CAT5!

An interesting info nugget btw: the one who did the two remixes at the end (which are imo kinda useless but whatever xD) as well as the programming on tracks Garnet and 「浮遊した理想」 is Kazutoshi Yokoyama! He has done extensive production/programming/synth work for Laputa and BUCK-TICK among others (he's practically almost the 6th member of B-T at this point, lol).

Edited by Jigsaw9

I remember finally getting into D'espairsRay... I was fresh out of my weaboo faze and downloaded the 'Squall' single because it sounded pleasant—Then DESERT came on—I was shook. I never heard something that heavy. Being a huge, sheltered nerd, I know I had crossed into uncharted territory. Needless to say, I never went back. I downloaded the whole discography and D'espa became my favorite band for years.

Coll:set is amazing (though MIRROR takes its place as my #1 D'espa album, fight me). I especially love the transition from 'Infection' to 'Dears'... Everything shuts down... and it gets fast. And then super chunky AND fast. Fuck I love that song.

Just when you think it can't get any better, there's In Vain and Grudge to really showcase Hizumi's fantastic screams. And though アベルとカイン is on the longer side, it never gets boring . 浮遊した理想 is so creepy and enchanting too.

'forbidden' has a great melody, and I love Tainted World too. For some reason, was never big on the two ballads, and always skipped the remixes. Overall, an amazing piece of VK history right here, right down to the album cover lol.

Edited by zombieparadise
word

Absolutely love this album. They were such a cool band at this point in their career; everything is solid and the songwriting is tight. I love the guitars especially. Such a great fusion of industrial metal and VK tropes, and those octave chords that Karyu throws in are so recognizable to their style.

Was stuck closing at work alone again earlier this week and took the time to play it through again. Even among other albums I first heard at age 14, not many keep me downright excited at almost every track. Also sometimes I wish there was a whole album of remixes like Marry of the Blood.