Jump to content
sebbivism

DIR EN GREY new single 落ちた事のある空 release summer 2020

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, LIDL said:

2020 Clever is just hits different and we don't like it.

 

DEG attempt at remaking their own songs have always been hit or miss. And Clever is one of those misses for sure. Actually most of their remakes after they turned bit into Ooga Booga sounds are mostly misses for me. There are lots of beats but lack of harmony. Lucky they didn't ruin Fukai the last time. I actually like that one.

 

 

I really prefer the old Fukai chorus though. The new one is okay though.

Edited by Kelrya

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LIDL said:

Actually most of their remakes after they turned bit into Ooga Booga sounds are mostly misses for me. There are lots of beats but lack of harmony. 

 

 

This is my situation with the Kiri to mayu remake. I don't dislike the Ooga Booga at all, but constructing 90% of the song exclusively over this basis makes listening to it kinda unsatisfying for me. The dramatic hyper-melodic outro makes passing trough it worthy, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They didn’t fuck up Fukai because it was played straight for the most part. All they did was use the alternate lyrics from like 2004. 
 

Kiri to Mayu 2012 is my favorite remake because all the parts are there, just rearranged in a way that’s more interesting than usual. 

As for Clever Sleazoid, I find Kyo to be the only real problem this time around. A lot of his parts sound rushed/crammed in with no real regard for the change in phrasing in the switch to Japanese. The “witherwither” part sounds less goofy, but why is it where it is?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just don't get why they feel a need to keep re-recording songs that were already great as they were. Like the deeper vileness, has been changed minimally and every one of those changes in my opinion isn't as good as the original and basically same with Clever Sleazoid, why fix what's not broken ya know? If they want to re-record really old songs with better production and a more modern touch that sounds fine but at this rate, we will have re-recordings of their whole discography and the originals will never be heard live again. 😛 + I got to admit, I am a sucker for the original Hydra and is a shame they probably wont ever play that again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the fact is that all of their remakes are better than their original versions and i will give irrefutable proof that you just can not compete with right here:

 

a) more modern recording quality. cutting edge modern editing & recording techinques used by the creme de la creme of western metal and japanese metal alike

b) deeper voice. kyo's screams have never sounded better. he is the japanese mike patton and he DESERVES to show it off because other bands can't compete with that twisted madness

c) old songs are too visual kei. there i said it. you may not like it but its true: now finally these songs are dope enough to actually listen to with your friends who listen to real metal because there are CRAZY riffs and hardcore vocals that don't sound visual kei

d) more poetic lyrics. compare the lyrics for the original tsumi to batsu to the lyrics of tsumi to kisei? yeah.... enough said i think. don't need to elaborate

e) they play them live. honestly - compare the amount of times the band has played the original versions of these songs live after the remakes came out to the amount of times they've played the new versions live. it's obvious even the band KNOWS that these remakes are doper. better. and also more intense & that's why they play them live

 

just my opinion... i dont know why you guys insist on doubting these guys. they gave us sustain the untruth ffs!

Edited by Tokage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tokage said:

the fact is that all of their remakes are better than their original versions and i will give irrefutable proof that you just can not compete with right here:

 

a) more modern recording quality. cutting edge modern editing & recording techinques used by the creme de la creme of western metal and japanese metal alike

b) deeper voice. kyo's screams have never sounded better. he is the japanese mike patton and he DESERVES to show it off because other bands can't compete with that twisted madness

c) old songs are too visual kei. there i said it. you may not like it but its true: now finally these songs are dope enough to actually listen to with your friends who listen to real metal because there are CRAZY riffs and hardcore vocals that don't sound visual kei

d) more poetic lyrics. compare the lyrics for the original tsumi to batsu to the lyrics of tsumi to kisei? yeah.... enough said i think. don't need to elaborate

e) they play them live. honestly - compare the amount of times the band has played the original versions of these songs live after the remakes came out to the amount of times they've played the new versions live. it's obvious even the band KNOWS that these remakes are doper. better. and also more intense & that's why they play them live

 

just my opinion... i dont know why you guys insist on doubting these guys. they gave us sustain the untruth ffs!

You missed this one! 

 

f) Obscure remake *chef's kiss, mic drop*

 

(Two words, one guitar (because who needs layering?)) 

Edited by nullmoon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's too much focus on melody in the re-recording imo. The original was a straight hard hitter but the new version opens up into more emotional or melodic sections that just sound out of place. The Japanese lyrics were a nice surprise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ghost said:

There's too much focus on melody in the re-recording imo. The original was a straight hard hitter but the new version opens up into more emotional or melodic sections that just sound out of place. The Japanese lyrics were a nice surprise.

I feel like there’s LESS melody in the new version.  Like the melodic guitar line from the part where Kyo sings “the night is cold and long” is barely even there in the new one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Saishu said:

I feel like there’s LESS melody in the new version.  Like the melodic guitar line from the part where Kyo sings “the night is cold and long” is barely even there in the new one. 

In terms of melody I guess I was more fixated on some other areas like Kyo's added melody lines in the 2nd verse and Toshiya's bass lines in the bridge. I agree though, the chorus has even less melody in the guitars.

 

That's what I think attritubutes to the chorus coming off more "emotional". The active guitar lines in the original drove the chorus forward, but in the new version it sounds more like a shoegaze or ballad part jammed into a metal song which I found to be ill-fitting.

 

Didn't mean to say that there is more or less melody in the song persay but rather that it seemed that there was a greater focus on pushing melody and/or making the song more compositionally diverse which I thought took away from the hard-hitting nature of the song. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m side eyeing anyone Who dares complain about Fukai. I feel like this was the one time the band listened to us in terms of what we wanted for a remake. It’s damn near perfect.

 

And as for the statement that they won’t play the older version of Hydra. If the MODE of versions should taught us anything, its that possibility is always there. Lets not forget that Tsumi to Batsu was played during that tour. UNDECIDED Original was played during that tour. OLD MACABRE was played. 
 

I Heavily agree with @Tokage’s statement That those old versions are too VK. They stand out like a sore thumb compared to what the band has evolved to so the updated versions are “needed.” But if the situation fits, they’ll def pull those oldies out the hat. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t give a fuck, Obscure 2011 sounds completely adlibbed. 
 

Beat version of Obscure is just the original at a faster tempo a la what’s on UROBOROS - in the proof of the name of living proof of the name proof. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/11/2020 at 12:15 PM, Kabukichoatmidnight said:

I just don't get why they feel a need to keep re-recording songs that were already great as they were. Like the deeper vileness, has been changed minimally and every one of those changes in my opinion isn't as good as the original and basically same with Clever Sleazoid, why fix what's not broken ya know? If they want to re-record really old songs with better production and a more modern touch that sounds fine but at this rate, we will have re-recordings of their whole discography and the originals will never be heard live again. 😛 + I got to admit, I am a sucker for the original Hydra and is a shame they probably wont ever play that again.

I remember Kaoru  mentioning in a interview that they started doing re-recordings instead of b-side for singles, cause they felt that having a “b” track didn’t really feel right for them. 
 

My own assumption is that the re-recordings are a compromise between the band and the label, but what do I know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2020 at 11:14 AM, Ro plz said:

I’m side eyeing anyone Who dares complain about Fukai. I feel like this was the one time the band listened to us in terms of what we wanted for a remake. It’s damn near perfect.

 

And as for the statement that they won’t play the older version of Hydra. If the MODE of versions should taught us anything, its that possibility is always there. Lets not forget that Tsumi to Batsu was played during that tour. UNDECIDED Original was played during that tour. OLD MACABRE was played. 
 

I Heavily agree with @Tokage’s statement That those old versions are too VK. They stand out like a sore thumb compared to what the band has evolved to so the updated versions are “needed.” But if the situation fits, they’ll def pull those oldies out the hat. 

 

I don't like the new Fukai at all tbh, they changed nearly everything good about the original and the vocal phrases feel like they've been arbitrarily shortened in a lot of places 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Saishu said:

Hasn’t Kyo been singing it that way pretty much since the Vulgarism tour though?

Not sure if it's the exact same. It's certainly gone through a few iterations. From what I've seen, it's rare that he'd sing the studio version live.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...