platy

POLL: Exercise & Keeping Active 🏃‍♀️

How do you stay active?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. How do you stay active?

• I don't
    • Stretching
    • Yoga & Pilates
    • Hardcore exercise routines (PITT, etc.)
    • Walking and/or jogging
    • Dancing
    • Weight lifting
    • Swimming
    • Taking the stairs
    • Other

How and why do you keep active? (or why not?)

Especially with gyms being closed and working from home, keeping active can be a bit of a challenge lately.

Personally, I enjoy exercise. if I don't move, my joints and muscles give me hell so it's like I have no choice but to enjoy it 😅 I love going on long walks, hula hooping and doing yoga/pilates and I try to stretch often throughout my day. I hate cardio focused routines.

I always take the stairs unless I have a ridiculously long way to go, I'm going with other people who want to take the lift or I have too much to carry. Otherwise, I actually try not to exercise any more than I need to. I have a super fast metabolism and if I move about too much, I end up burning off too many calories. I learnt that the hard way from when I used to take long evening walks. It was calming, sure, but the hunger and fatigue weren't fun and it completely fucked up my sleep patterns.

I have a very fast metabolism and it has, admittedly, made me very lazy. I've had a few longstanding workout routines that end up falling apart after a few months-a year for various reasons. Used to have access to a company gym at work and that was really great - would get a solid 30-45 minutes in every other day which felt pretty good (at the very least better than nothing). When I moved (and thus started working remote) I changed over to a home workout routine - nothing too intense, some app-based ab/push-up/squat routines that I switched off on each day, but then I got into the process of buying a house and quarantine happened and...you know how it goes.

Ironically, I just started running today for the first time in years? Told myself that was gonna be my "2020" thing and then 2020 happened and I kept finding reasons to push it off until right now. Needless to say, I found out how out of shape I am very quickly (I've always been bad at cardio...), but I'm excited to try and stick to a new routine and see improvement. As I get older I really feel the importance of staying fit instead of falling into the trappings of age, especially since I know falling entirely out of shape will be much harder to reverse the older I get.

I like to walk whenever it's appropriate. Other than that, I've started lifting and doing calisthenics somewhat regularly.

Casual bag work and resistance bands are fun enough for me that for years I do it most days without having to make a "routine" over it! Anything with real planning I really lose steam on after a month or two lol..

For anyone who simply spends most of their work day on their feet, you may be more fit than you give yourself credit for!

Somewhat on the one punch man/saitama routine, 100 push ups, 100 sit ups and a 3 mile jog (no hair loss yet)

Honestly with how much Visual Kei there is to listen to walking/jogging is one of the best ways to digest it.

I'm a lame sack of potatoes, but I try to jog/run a few times a week recently. I've been neglecting this for like over a year now, so I'm trying to get back into it these days. Still a bit far from my 'golden period' but I think I got the hang of it again. Nothing too extreme tho, just a couple of kilometres broken up by some casual walking.

4 minutes ago, Manabu said:

Somewhat on the one punch man/saitama routine, 100 push ups, 100 sit ups and a 3 mile jog (no hair loss yet)

Honestly with how much Visual Kei there is to listen to walking/jogging is one of the best ways to digest it.

How long have you been doing that?  Do you do it everyday? And I agree, listening to music, podcasts or audiobooks is a really good motivation for walking/jogging.

7 minutes ago, platy said:

How long have you been doing that?  Do you do it everyday? And I agree, listening to music, podcasts or audiobooks is a really good motivation for walking/jogging.

I started around the middle of April and do it every day, I've always been quite unfit so a lot of it was building endurance and getting a better diet, trying to do it every day was a major hassle in the beginning but now it's ingrained as part of my morning routine.

The first few weeks were really tough and I'd have to take breaks in the middle of jogging, I still take breaks in between push ups and sit ups because my body just can't handle that many in a short time but jogging is fairly easy now

Before-the-corona me had been going to the gym 3-4 times a week (at 6am no less), weight lifting and doing a lot of core exercises BUT ever since my gym closed I feel like I've managed to undo all of my work by doing close to nothing lol I'm doing some yoga every now and then, but honestly I've morphed into a potato these past few months and my old, weary joints hate me. 

The gyms have opened now but I'm still wary of going back, although I'm itching for it like crazy. 

I'm not gonna lie, my motivation was my sister, she's started going to the gym and few months later I joined her. Since I'm her ride I feel obliged to not skip days when I don't really feel like going :'D So my very cliche advice is, get a work out buddy~ 

When I was growing up, dance was one of the constant sources of activity in my life. I mostly learned choreography in contemporary and hip-hop styles, and I was also trained the ballet basics as well. Unlike the gym or jogging, there's just something about it that makes me feel really engaged as a person. I'd say it's maybe the art and performance part, because you practice for an end goal; to be able to show everyone your hard work. Nowadays I just go for hikes in my spare time, which is a nice way to get some fresh air.

I stopped doing dance in university and for some really weird reason, after all this 'rona stuff, I got an inverted version of the freshman fifteen?! I'm down fifteen pounds, lightest I've been a long while. I did spruce up some of my eating habits such as smaller portions and carb cutting but damn, that was nowhere near as painful as my last successful diet.

This might seem strange but I probably walk for about 5 hours per day on average right now (no job) while listening to videos and music with my bluetooth wireless noise cancelling headphones. I'm trying to learn some songs so I can do vocal covers so I spend a lot of time listening to music to get a feel for how to sing the lyrics, because otherwise it takes me forever to learn them.

I really don't like sitting because it makes me feel incredibly unproductive, unless I'm in class, at work or something, but even then I hate it and might fidget in my seat. I know that's pretty unusual though. I want to get into more physical activities such as weight lifting but I really need to find the motivation to do it. It's definitely worth it, and I commend anyone here who's able to find the inspiration to stick to arduous regimens like that, so hopefully I'll be able to get there myself. 

8 minutes ago, shiroihana said:

This might seem strange but I probably walk for about 5 hours per day on average right now (no job) while listening to videos and music with my bluetooth wireless noise cancelling headphones. I'm trying to learn some songs so I can do vocal covers so I spend a lot of time listening to music to get a feel for how to sing the lyrics, because otherwise it takes me forever to learn them.

I really don't like sitting because it makes me feel incredibly unproductive, unless I'm in class, at work or something, but even then I hate it and might fidget in my seat. I know that's pretty unusual though. I want to get into more physical activities such as weight lifting but I really need to find the motivation to do it. It's definitely worth it, and I commend anyone here who's able to find the inspiration to stick to arduous regimens like that, so hopefully I'll be able to get there myself. 

That's a long time to walk so do you have access to the countryside or do you tend to follow the same route everyday? Although I have access to miles of seaside walks and the countryside, I find myself picking a random street near where I live and following it until I get exhausted lately. I've discovered some interesting urban areas because of that even if it's just someone's nice garden (not in a creepy way lol)

Need an option for 'I try but fail miserably'. xD Luckily I have a job where I'm actively walking 8 hours a day. But when I'm not working I'm rather lazy. I try to do some stretches once in a while but it never lasts very long. Sometimes it depends on my current living situation or where I live. When I live in a bigger city I tend to go on walks more often. I jogged a few times during my last year at my old uni because I lived very near a running/biking trail (and I was also prepping for a 5K run, I've done two so far). My hometown is so small that I've grown rather bored of it, and also I don't wanna be seen by someone I might know when I'm out walking/jogging....but that could be just a dumb excuse.

I wanna try more stretches and exercises to target areas or tone my body but there's so much I don't know that I just give up.....

1 hour ago, plastic_rainbow said:

Need an option for 'I try but fail miserably'. xD Luckily I have a job where I'm actively walking 8 hours a day. But when I'm not working I'm rather lazy. I try to do some stretches once in a while but it never lasts very long. Sometimes it depends on my current living situation or where I live. When I live in a bigger city I tend to go on walks more often. I jogged a few times during my last year at my old uni because I lived very near a running/biking trail (and I was also prepping for a 5K run, I've done two so far). My hometown is so small that I've grown rather bored of it, and also I don't wanna be seen by someone I might know when I'm out walking/jogging....but that could be just a dumb excuse.

I wanna try more stretches and exercises to target areas or tone my body but there's so much I don't know that I just give up.....

One thing you might wanna consider is 10min daily stretches for the wrists and fingers considering your current profession. Better to start now! :-D

17 minutes ago, platy said:

One thing you might wanna consider is 10min daily stretches for the wrists and fingers considering your current profession. Better to start now! :-D

You're damn right, I probably should, haha. I've had so many wrist pains, and even back pains, while working on projects for long hours. 😓

31 minutes ago, plastic_rainbow said:

You're damn right, I probably should, haha. I've had so many wrist pains, and even back pains, while working on projects for long hours. 😓

If you want I can dm you some really quick and useful resources for artist's health I found ^_^