Yuan

A forum nostalgic

Hello! I'm Yuan, in my mid-twenties, an art school dropout trying to make it in this hard ass world :^)

I used to be really into vk when I was in high school and up to around 5 years ago. I was on Livejournal (the good old dayssss), owned a ton of merch, and went to as many concerts as I could. I had a lot of fun, but a couple years ago, I did a big vk sale, mainly for the money, but also because there were a lot of bands I didn't listen to anymore, namely Alice Nine, and sold their entire discography, which I had diligently collected til then, and many many issues of Shoxx, Neo Genesis, Fool's Mate, etc. Sometimes I regret selling those magazines, especially considering how they've all stopped running... But thankfully I kept most things from my favorite bands! And one day I'll finally complete my collection from Plastic Tree, DEG and Gazette.

What has changed since, is that I've lost interest in indie vk, because I just couldn't keep up, although every once in a while there will be a good band that pops up and that will spark my interest. My favorites are BUCK-TICK, Plastic Tree, MUCC, cali≠gari, the GazettE, DIR EN GREY, Deadman, Pierrot, LUNA-SEA, 9GOATS BLACK OUT, MIYAVI, the studs, D'espairsRay, 12012... I guess that covers at least a good general idea. I also listen to a lot of other J-music, and in general, more music than I can name. Other big favorites (from all horizons) include Nujabes, Flying Lotus, Gorillaz, King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard, Thee Oh Sees, toe, Kikagaku Moyo, Shiina Ringo, Jimi Hendrix, Frank Zappa, Charles Mingus... I'm a big music nerd in general, I've played the piano since I was 5, and listen to a lot of classical, traditional/folk (from all around the world), and experimental music (including noise). It's a big part of my life haha. I love exploring new sounds and expanding my tastes beyond my zones of comfort.

I'm also quite invested in visual arts (illustration & animation) as my studies suggested, fashion, cinema, video games, etc. Basically my interests are very broad and I like passionate ramblings. Which is why I love forums! I haven't been on a forum in many years, and I do miss it a lot. I've been reading this one for a while now, and figured it's time to stop being a lurker haha!

If curious, esp about my art and/or eventual OOTDs, my @ on most social media is yuanankh (for instance on Twitter and Instagram). I'd love to make new friends, especially since this pandemic has emphasized how important it is to not hesitate to be active online - which I knew already, as I made most of my long-term friends that way anyway. :)

Edited by Yuan

Welcome, welcome! :) 

55 minutes ago, Yuan said:

BUCK-TICK, Plastic Tree, Deadman, Pierrot, LUNA-SEA, 9GOATS BLACK OUT, the studs, D'espairsRay

Nice!

Your art and OOTDs are awesome! Welcome to the forum . We have a few art students/graduates/hobbyists on here as you probably know from lurking ^_^ 

It's not very often that a new member here claims toe as one of their favorites! They're also one of my favorites too!

Welcome to the forum! :D

Thanks everyone :)

21 hours ago, platy said:

Your art and OOTDs are awesome! Welcome to the forum . We have a few art students/graduates/hobbyists on here as you probably know from lurking ^_^

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed what you saw :D And yes, I'll probably get around to sharing my art around here at some point too!

17 hours ago, CAT5 said:

It's not very often that a new member here claims toe as one of their favorites! They're also one of my favorites too!

Yay! I love math rock in general, with bands such as tricot, Covet, Lite, Hyakkei, Battles... It's a great genre!

It's so hard to pick favorites but toe really does stand out, their music was my go-to to study!

And in general thanks for complimenting my tastes, it's the only real compliment that matters right?