Sign in to follow this  
D.L.S

Sony PS VITA (NGP)

Should this go in Video Games? I don't know?

11x0127b7y466.jpg

Betcha didn't think this day would come, but it finally has. Sony has just come clean with its next-generation PlayStation Portable. It's actually codenamed NGP and will revolve around five key concepts: Revolutionary User Interface, Social Connectivity, Location-based Entertainment, Converging Real and Virtual (augmented) Reality. It will be compatible with the PlayStation Suite and is backwards-compatible with downloadable PSP games and content from Sony's PlayStation Store.

Specs include a quad-core ARM Cortex-A9 processor, 5-inch touchscreen OLED display with 960 x 544 resolution, dual analog sticks (not nubs as on the current generation), 3G, WiFi, GPS, a rear-mounted touchpad, the same accelerometer / gyroscope motion sensing as in the PlayStation Move, an electronic compass, and cameras on both the front and back. Available this holiday season. Wait... what?!

:domo::domo::domo:

Everything that I wanted in a new PSP and more. Anyone else excited about this?

I'm torn... The Sony fangirl in me was initially super excited! But now....

I don't see the point in it having two cameras. Who wants a camera in a gaming console? I already have a camera. I also hate how there will be no physical media or UMDs. Because 1) That's why the Go sucked and 2) It encourages piracy. Thought you were trying to put a stop to that, Sony. Way to go. Touchscreen would be useless in gaming.

The only thing that appeals to me is... I love new gadgets, it can allegedly run PS3 games, it has two analog sticks, the location-based entertainment intrigues me and the graphics will be nicer. But it's going to cost a fortune and it doesn't seem worth it to me for an extra analog stick and pretty games.

I'll probably get it because I'm a hopeless tech geek and I just sold my original PSP. That is if it doesn't cost an outrageous amount at release. :|

most wanted gadget for this year for me as well.

Heard it will release at the end of the year.

So it will be a fit for my Xmas wish list xD~

I don't see the point in it having two cameras. Who wants a camera in a gaming console? I already have a camera. I also hate how there will be no physical media or UMDs. Because 1) That's why the Go sucked and 2) It encourages piracy. Thought you were trying to put a stop to that, Sony. Way to go. Touchscreen would be useless to be in gaming.

It is supposed to be a "Next Generation Portable" and a lot of portables have a camera for pictures and video on the back and video chatting on the front.

The games will be on "new media," not just as digital downloads.

yeah, other than for video chatting and picture taking,

maybe there will be games that gonna use the function of the camera?

something like Symbian game for Siemens SX1 few years ago, Mosquito, remember?

i am not sure how to responds with touch screens, i can play good on my iPod with that though.

I just hope it really responsive, or else it's lame.

Saw Chobot introduce this on an episode of IGN's daily fix. I was, and still am extremely intrigued at this mini-beast. I rather like the fact that it has a 960 x 544 reso, which is pretty neat.

I might buy it, but that all depends on the price. It seems like a nifty little machine though.

I don't see the point in it having two cameras. Who wants a camera in a gaming console? I already have a camera. I also hate how there will be no physical media or UMDs. Because 1) That's why the Go sucked and 2) It encourages piracy. Thought you were trying to put a stop to that, Sony. Way to go. Touchscreen would be useless to be in gaming.

It is supposed to be a "Next Generation Portable" and a lot of portables have a camera for pictures and video on the back and video chatting on the front.

The games will be on "new media," not just as digital downloads.

But you see, in my opinion, (portable) consoles do not require cameras. If I want to record a video, I'll use a video camera. If I want to take photos, I'll use a camera. If I want to video chat, I'll use a cell phone or a computer. I want to use a portable console to play games, you know? Not to take photos or video chat.

I wish these companies would stop adding unneccessary features.

"Like the PSP Go, there is no UMD drive on the device, or any form of disc drive, for that matter. Games will be available for download on the official PlayStation Store and stored on the device via a new proprietary flash card designed for NGP games." As someone who hates not owning physical copies of games/discs (like CDs, movies, what have you), this is a big, big no no for me. This basically asks for piracy too, which Sony has a huge problem with.

The fact that it can play PS3 games is a bonus, though. It would tempt me into buying it if nothing else did. I've seen how Monster Hunter plays on it, too, and that makes me want one. I love the menu and the social aspect. But I don't know if it's going to be worth it is all. :|

I thought that it meant that there would be a way to buy them physically, just not on UMD's anymore. :(

The fact that it can play PS3 games is a bonus, though.

A big enough bonus that it alone makes me want it.

yea super excited about it, the original psp was a big letdown for me, so i'm hoping this will make up for it and deliver the goods. :lol:

but yea this belongs in video games so....

Moved.

I'm interested as to how that touch device on the back of the hand-held is going to be implemented into games.

yea super excited about it, the original psp was a big letdown for me, so i'm hoping this will make up for it and deliver the goods

How come? :o

IDK. I guess it just didn't live up to the hype

The original PSP was and still is brilliant. Its only real downfalls for me were just having no right analog stick and having to wait months between worthwhile game releases. Turning the camera with L and R? ... No. But games like Chains Of Olympus and Ghost Of Sparta, MGS Portable Ops and Peace Walker, Birth By Sleep, LocoRoco 1&2, the GTA 'Stories', are fantastic and totally worth having a PSP for. And then the eventual ability to download and play PS1 games and tons of old classic arcade shit. I mean without hacking it. 'Cause I hate that crap.

So, a far more powerful PSP with 2 analog sticks, you're pretty damn right I want it. You're also pretty damn right there are so many things this year in the gaming world to utterly splurge all traces of money on. So before I make any decision at all, I need to know that price. And need to know if us in the UK are gonna get dickslapped again by a ridiculous equivalent price, a la the 3DS. Want so much, and yet... must have dat collectable bust of Duke Nukem.

Prism and I live in the UK, though, and we always get screwed over on price. :(

Expect it to cost more than the 3DS then.

That much was obvious already.

Yeah. Well, the 3DS seems to be 25% more over there, so you could work off of that.

I'm looking at some more images right now. It's cute. But it looks a little chunky, don't you think?

As for the touchpads, I'm sure there was footage of what can be done with that somewhere on YouTube. It might be useful for sports games.

From what I saw, the back touchpad was being used on some kinda wtf-esque game to 'raise' the ground. Like... as if it was rising up and forming around your fingers or something. And I saw the front touchscreen being used in Uncharted to tell Nate to climb something. The former looked interesting, the latter just looked stupid. I honestly don't care about all this touchscreen/pad crap and shit that doesn't even need to be there. I want to buy this thing to play games on, not simultaneously take photos of my feet and face mid-game. I'm put off more by the fact that I'll be paying mostly for things I'll never use.

the rumours has said that there is survey for pricing already,

for NGP with wifi is $ 250, while NGP with 3G will be $ 350

But we will still have to wait for exact pricing on upcoming E3 on June 2011

Where Sony will tell everything about NGP.

Sign in to follow this