Sign in to follow this  
BrenGun

An interview with BEBOP (Full lengt is shared)

bebop_i-1568x651.jpg

Interview can also be read on jrockrnoll
https://jrocknroll.com/interview-with-bebop/3/

BEBOP is a punk band who is mainly active in Shinjuku and Koenji and formed in 1998. After some member changes the band is mainly active as a live band. In January 2019, BEBOP’s 20th anniversary ONE-MAN was held at Shinjuku Antiknock. Currently, the members of BEBOP are Vo. Tommy and Dr. TsutomuUSA and support members.

BEBOP we are very thankful that you took the time to answer this interview! thank you very much!

Let's start to know a little bit more about BEBOP with just a single Kanji, which Kanji would you give BEBOP? 

和 (wa)(harmony)

We don’t like that Punk has an aggressive image. There is a saying in Japan that goes “Respect with harmony”, which means that it;s important to not just get along with each other, but also to discuss and talk with each other firmly. We feel this is also important as a “band” as well, which is why we chose the kanji for “harmony”. 

I see, harmony, its a nice gentle choice, also what about yourself? With which kanji would you name yourself?

Tommy: 鮫 (same)(shark)
A shark is strong, beautiful and disliked.

TsutomuUSA: 笑 (wara)(smile)
Because I always want to give my smile to anything. 

We are all inspired by something or someone, what about you?

Tommy: A musician can convey a lot of information at a glance, for example, melody, lyrics, style and expression. I thought it’s wonderful.

I started to play the guitar after I saw a live video of THE BLUE HEARTS, I was immediately impressed by their amazing guitar performance.

TsutomuUSA: I just enjoy playing. I was inspired by NOFX

What about your band background anything we should know?

Tommy: I’ve been in BEBOP since my high school years.

TsutomuUSA: I have played in a band since I was 17, I played in three bands before joining BEBOP.

What about band experience over the years, did it had some influence on you during the years?

It did teach us that you never should give up, even when a band comes to a standstill, there is always someone who will share a helping hand. We’ve learned that friendship is very important and that you shouldn’t lose it.

Your music style, how would you describe it?

Tommy: Old-fashioned and clumsy.

Are there any artist and events which had lots influence on you?

Tommy: When I saw “The High-Lows” at their first live tour in my hometown of Niigata, Japan.

I saw the artist of my dreams in front of me, I was amazed that it was “real”. 

Anyway you have been active in the music industry for a long time.

It their anything changed a lot since the start of your career?

Tommy: I switched from guitar to vocals, and I started to laugh/smile on stage.

Back in the days, I tried not to laugh, nowadays I wonder why I refused it.

Tsutomu USA: That’s it’s gotten more dynamic.

Let's talk about song writing. If you write a new song, what's your biggest inspiration for writing a cool brand new song?

Tommy: I write songs based on the lyrics, So when I have a lyric that feels good, I’ll start writing the melody. 

And what is your inspiration for writing lyrics?

Tommy: To escape into memories, which leads into creating lyrics.

So when writing a new song you start with the lyrics and then writing the Melody right? 

Yes, Tommy writes the lyrics and melody, and the rest is left to the band.

We arrange the songs in the way we want, and after that we complete it together at the studio. 

Then where is your favorite place to write new songs?

Tommy: A place where you can drink alcohol endlessly. 

Anyway we all have challenges in life, so Is there actually still a big challenge for you to continue your career as an artist?

Yes, since we are a band, we're doing it in that style so it’s a challenge to find a member who can keep up with us.

On the day you perform a live show, when you are on stage, what do you enjoy the most? 

Tommy: The moment of when the ad-lib melody gets you hooked. Probably because you never can’t do it again.

TsutomuUSA: What do you mean? playing? (Laughs)

Then if a show has ended are you open to chat and drink with your fans at the lobby? 

For some reason, we used to be stubborn about it. But now we are open to it, so if you see us on the floor, be free to have a chat with us. 

https://open.spotify.com/album/5Fs1iclSKw7EIvsM9tuSld

The world is in a big corona crisis, is still a global problem, how do you as an artist deal with it?

It’s not something we can interfere with. We try to keep up our life as normal as possible, and if we get an invite to play a gig, we will try our best!

Anyway what makes you smile?

Tommy: Whiskey, especially Nikka Whisky.

TsutomuUSA: When I’m staring at my Shiba dog. 

Let's go back to your most precious moment in your music career, what would it be?

The last live show with Fuzzy.

It was a memorable and precious experience for Tommy to see his childhood friend, with whom he came to Tokyo together, leaving the band. The live performance was so memorable and valuable because the audience loved it and enjoyed it so much.

When someone would ask you, why should I listen to "BEBOP" what would you tell this person?  

Unlike some other punk bands, BEBOP are not an aggressive band at all, we do have good melodies and lyrics filled with lots of ups, downs and shadows. We hope that people who saw us live for the first time that they will leave with a positive one phrase in their mind.

We are almost at the end, anyway what’s your ultimate goal for the future?

Tommy: Co-star with Johnny Rotten, Mercy and Hiroto!

TsutomuUSA: Living on as a drummer

We all have beliefs and mottoes, please share us yours. 

Tommy: Just keep going! It’s not that difficult.

TsutomuUSA: Everything is fun!

We came to the end, please share some heartwarming words to your fans and readers.

Tommy: It’s alright to believe in what you feel it’s amazing. 

TsutomuUSA: Just have fun in your life. 

BEBOP thank you very much for this heartwarming and interesting interview! 

You can learn even more about BEBOP please check their own written BAND SEARCH profile over here:

https://jrocknroll.com/band-search-bebop/3/

The search also tells you more about Fuzzy.

Edited by BrenGun

Sign in to follow this