Total Saikou

Favourite Kind of Ethnic Food?

Favourite Ethnic Foods  

13 members have voted

1. 1. I like food that's typically eaten in...

• North America (American/Canadian regional dishes, or Indigenous Cuisine)
    • South America
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • Africa
    • Other

As the title says, what's your favourite kind of food and which country is it a staple in? Feel free to answer the poll as well! As for me, and as expected, I'm a huge fan of Japanese food. Just about everything I've tried has hit a sweet spot. My favs include sushi, ramen (tonkotsu is my favorite), sukiyaki, and tsukemen. What's a little unexpected is that I'm also very much in love with Indian food. I love all sorts of paneer, kadai, and vindaloo. I'm also very fond of papadum and naan bread. And samosas, of course! Since I was born in Uzbekistan, I'm one of the few people you'll meet who loves Uzbek food. Specifically, I love eating Palov, Shashlik, and Monti. 

So essentially, I love many different kinds of Asian food. It's a huge continent with extremely diverse cultures but they've got one thing in common; delicious food!

That being said, I've never really enjoyed Chinese food. And I mean real Chinese food, not the greasy, bastardized American stuff (which I do like 😅). I've had real bao, which I loved but I didn't enjoy other foods like Peking duck or Chinese hot pot.

Edited by Total Saikou

European food has to be my favourite. I love pasta dishes so I eat a lot of Italian food. I also have a massive sweet tooth and Europe tends to produce a lot of sweet food like ice cream and chocolate, so that appeals to me. Also, on the subject of chocolate, I will forever hold the belief that Swedish chocolate is the best and not Belgian lol. I also really like central American food and Indian food but I have to be careful with that because I'm a total spice wuss so whatever I eat from those countries has to be as mild as can be.

Asia easily, there is so much variety but they are all distinct. Indian, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Vietnamese and then you get to the south eastern part which is like fusions of Chinese foods from Filipino, Malay, Indo, Thai

I think your poll is missing middle eastern. I love Arabic food, they got cooking lamb on point and their rice is fragrant and spiced.

1 hour ago, JukaForever said:

I think your poll is missing middle eastern. I love Arabic food, they got cooking lamb on point and their rice is fragrant and spiced.

Originally my poll was going to split Asia up into each section but then I realized what a hassle it was. I also realized that it was kind of hypocritical to give Asia 6 different options and lump Africa as one when African cuisine is also varied by region. I decided just to have Asia be a standalone option and to let people elaborate on which part of Asia their favorite Asian cuisine comes from in the comments section. I would categorize the middle east under Asia because it is also known as west Asia. If you still prefer distinction, then feel free to use the other option as well^^ This poll is multi-option to accommodate diverse palates!

I agree! I'm particularly into the fast foody stuff like donair and falafel so I'm not exactly cultured in that regard 😂

Edited by Total Saikou

2 minutes ago, Total Saikou said:

Originally my poll was going to split Asia up into each section but then I realized what a hassle it was. I also realized that it was kind of hypocritical to give Asia 6 different options and lump Africa as one when African cuisine is also varied by region. I decided just to have Asia be a standalone option and to let people elaborate on which part of Asia their favorite Asian cuisine comes from in the comments section. I would categorize the middle east under Asia because it is also known as west Asia. If you still prefer distinction, then feel free to use the other option as well^^ This poll is multi-option to accommodate diverse palates!

Oh, I never realized the middle east was part of Asia. I keep thinking it is it's own continent for some reason lol. Looks like another +1 for Asia to me

Certainly japanese food though I only liked tenpura/kakiage and kani (and Hana no kuchizuke does it count??) and hated most of it for ages. Then I started working at a place which only had 1 restaurant really close by, which happened to be a traditional Japanese food parlor ... I'm lazy and didn't wanna walk for ten minutes just to grab food and that's how I ended up like this. (When I say "I didn't choose the weeb life" ...) I was often just grabbing an onigiri or plain bento with sashimi and gyoza etc and mochi, jelly candy or (a very missed) dorayaki (and THE ANPAN !! ALSO MISS ;_; ) for desserts but ALL of it was so well-prepared I started seeking Japanese food parlors everywhere lol.  (Unfortunately most did not beat that small restaurant ;_; ) started a course near a very good restaurant just before the pandemic (and ate the HUGEST tonkatsu on the first day k) so thx covid now I am not broke nor obese yay  

Also for some reason I never got to eat curry rice but I assume that'd be my favorite dish if I had (taking into account I've been eating only the powder ever since instant noodles came to exist) and also I want to eat okonomiyaki and that fried tako stuff someday 

For everything else ... Chinese food often makes me sick, not sure if it's just my luck or the spice is to blame, but kung pao is great. I'm not super into pasta but it's ok ?? (My bff is half Italian and she's a cook so I eat it often, it's not SUPER my thing but gnocchi .. yum) Also not sure how common this is elsewhere but (local variations of) chicken stroganoff is one of my favorite dishes. ... Also, almost forgot, very much like local variations of french chicken fricassee but no idea if I'd like the real thing ??  

Edit: thinking harder about this I reeeally like portuguese custard tart and latin american alfajor and churros ... Actually, when it comes to desserts I feel like my taste is way more diverse! Gee wonder y 

(Honestly aside from these my thing is just junk/fast food and local food though, and by local food I mean not feijoada but rather pao de queijo for breakfast, barbecue, casquinha de siri or pastel for lunch, dulce de leche, bolinho de chuva and brigadeiro for desserts and a nice guarana soda to drink 🥰

Edited by Rahzel
This got me thinking about food and now I AM SAD. As Tajima would put "we talk about food and then food and then sleep" . Food : a mood

Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese and Korean are all veggie/vegan (ish) friendly and I love spicy stuff, however I'd love to get more into chinese cuisine but real chinese food has a lot of meat so I haven't had a proper opportunity yet.

African food also has a lot of meat based dishes, but otherwise is fairly similar to brazilian food and the things I have tried are all great.

Real Indian/Pakistani food = awesome, but I have less opportunities to try it.

I love latin american cuisine, of course I'm biased to Brazilian food but that's one of my favorites. From pastries, to an incredible range of deserts, best cheese, best breakfast, variety of beans, fruits, vegetables... LOVE IT ALL.

I think any country whose diet revolves around rice and veggies ends up on my favorites list 😅

I'm more into asian food, as I'm Vietnamese myself. I love the viet-dishes as it's the food I grew up with. Rice is for me important whatever I eat I need to have it like almost all the time haha :)

Beside that I like Japanese and Korean food as well. As for European dishes are alright too but I'm not too fond of them 'cause I don't really know but maybe a little lack of flavor? As we uses a lot of many kinds of spices in our food.

Honestly though. This is 1/4 of a legit Brazilian Hawaiian Japanese Poke bowl dish and actually tastes good 👀 (Plus some Extra Spicy Curry powder from some instant ramen I threw away ? chefs kiss

Restaurants ... missing u 

Coming from a Cambodian background, I love Cambodian/Thai/Viet food the most. Everything is so delicious and super flavorful. I like Japanese food but not as much at this point because in reality a lot of it is just.......plain. Cambodians season the shit outta everything so I'm used to that since it's what I grew up with. (Hence why my fave Japanese food is okonomiyaki. I drown that shit in mayo and sauce lmao). I saw someone mention Chinese peking duck tho and I loooooooove duck so much. Peking duck or the super greasy roasted duck you get at a local Asian market mmmmmmmm. Fuck. I miss all those foods so much lmao

But I will say my comfort dish will always be spicy papaya salad with Cambodian fried chicken and rice and, of course, grandma's eggrolls.  

Fish sauce, spicy chili salt, balut, duck, sour fruit, durian.... I just...ugh my mouth is watering.

Edited by solaris05

On 9/22/2020 at 1:13 PM, platy said:

however I'd love to get more into chinese cuisine but real chinese food has a lot of meat so I haven't had a proper opportunity yet.

There are some good Chinese dishes without any meat, and some of it is pure deliciousness!

I really enjoy Chinese and Vietnamese foods. There are so much flavor, spices, and ingredients that it's hard to get bored, eating the variety of cuisines. My mouth waters thinking about steamed vermicelli rolls, roast pork belly, peking duck, ma po tofu (spicy tofu with meat - it's super good!), chicken curry, banh mi, pho (with all of its variations), and fresh spring roll/rice paper roll.  I also like Japanese foods (no surprise) with tempura, yakisoba, and okonomiyaki being some of my favorites. I've had less chances to eat Korean and Thai foods, but I've enjoyed what I've tried. I think there's a joke around my house where we say that to have a proper Asian meal, you must always have rice, lol. I've also eaten Indian and Nepalese food and liked it, but I've had less opportunities to eat these. The same also goes with African food - the stuff I've tried out is really good.

With that said, I also have a weak spot for European and North American dishes. Pasta, ice cream, chocolate, and the list goes on :P

I guess I pretty much like to eat/try out anything as I think there's always something fascinating and interesting about foods 😅