The general Metal discussion thread

Cool beanz. The size and length of the mix look fine to me...and 4 different Installments sounds like a good idea, Cheesy.

Zesshoku also sent me an unrelated mix yesterday, so I'll be wrapping my ears around both out this week! ;]

Will return with my feedback~

Neon - Cool, dude!

CAT5 - That sounds good. At least then you'll have enough to lend your ears to the comming days. Hah!

I've gone through the mix twice so far but before I give my final opinion I want to give it a few more listens. The size isn't a problem for me either but as with any record or mix there are bound to be some tracks that don't jump out at you in first listen.

So far though I do have some favorites in Falconer, both Sabbats and Doomsword. ;D

Great, the board ate a post again, we really need to get around fixing this. Good thing it's still visible in the topic review.

So...anyone diggin some...Russian metal ???(not into that...well I can listen to Arya sometimes)

I like Arkona and Helengard... and a couple of others.

I've gone through the mix twice so far but before I give my final opinion I want to give it a few more listens. The size isn't a problem for me either but as with any record or mix there are bound to be some tracks that don't jump out at you in first listen.

So far though I do have some favorites in Falconer, both Sabbats and Doomsword. ;D

I'm glad to hear you are actually gonna listen to them more to find out if some will grow or not. Nice!

And since you liked some of the stuff I'm just gonna recommend some of their stuff.

Falconer - Falconer (their best) and Chapters from a Vale Forlorn (really good).

Sabbat (UK) - History of a Time to Come and Dreamweaver. Their last album, Mourning Has Broken, was shit, something even the members of the band admit, and they all know they should never have made it. Andy Sneap shows some mad guitar skills on the album, though. Impressive if you look at it that way.

Sabbat (Jpn) - Everything that includes new material! However, to recommend a few albums. They've been in a couple of different genres. Black Metal and Black/Thrash. Check out the albums Envenom which is their first, and also a Black metal album, and Satanasword which is Black/Thrash and Kiss og Lileth is from. But I would also recommend my personal favourite, karisma. Their most unique album to date. Still Black/Thrash, but with a japanese feeling over it. You'll never find anything close to sounding like this. Their album Fetishism is Black Metal with a more Death Metal-feeling. Something else, for sure, and amazing!

Doomsword - Everything! But the song on the mix is from My Name Will Live On, so of course I would recommend that first and then their last effort, The Eternal Battle which is damn good! But everything is golden. Their three first albums are way more doomier. It's more Epic Heavy/Doom Metal than, Epic Heavy that is on their last albums. But yuo can't go wrong with any of their releases.

Chapters from a Vale Forlorn and their S/T album are two of the greatest metal albums I've ever heard, seriously. Mathias Blad's got one of the most captivating voices ever.

Great, the board ate a post again, we really need to get around fixing this. Good thing it's still visible in the topic review.
So...anyone diggin some...Russian metal ???(not into that...well I can listen to Arya sometimes)

I like Arkona and Helengard... and a couple of others.

I second Arkona! That is the ONLY female fronted metal band that I like. If you like Apocalyptica then maybe try Symfomania? They're like the Ukrainian version of girl Apocalyptica and have one album called Empire and an Arya cover album. They seem to be popular with forever alone metal nerds.

I gotta admit I lost interest in Septic Flesh many years ago. Don't like anything they did after "Ophidian Wheel", but everything from "Ophidian Wheel" and back to the begining are really amazing. Especially their first EP "Temple of the Lost Race" are something worth both your time and money. After "Ophidian Wheel" they lost that typical greek feeling that a lot of the early greek Black and Death Metal bands had.

Alright so I'm back with a quick rundown of the sampler. It's too long to do a track by track so I'll just break it up into things I liked and things I didn't:

Things I Liked

Doomsword

Sanctuary

Falconer

Iron Angel

Sabbat (UK)

Sabbat (JP)

Aura Noir

Things in the Middle

Magnesium

Oz

Kreator

Sadus

Running Wild

Merciless

Muncipal Waste

Cryptic Slaughter

Things I Didn't

Manilla Road

Yeah, so the only thing I didn't like was Manilla Road. The vocalist wasn't very appealing to me. The same can be said for Cryptic Slaughter to a lesser extent, although I liked the guitars and the crisp bass.

I see. Nicenice! I find it understandable about Manilla Road, though. Mark Shelton quite a hit or miss vocalist. Easily one of the most unique and charismatic vocalist I've heard as well.

New thing comming up tomorrow or something as well. With other genres of course. :D

I got to see Devil live yesterday. Oh my, what a great gig. They warmed up for Electric Wizard not too long ago. Also, the people who have seen all their gigs said it was their best show ever, and that they keep getting better and better. Good stuff! I've already met one of the guitarists before, but I got to meet the rest of the band as well, which are people I know from online. Great people!

And the price? Well:

To get in: $9

A really badass tshirt: $9

Longsleeve: $27

Not bad at all! They also had sizes from XS-XXL. Great with bands that get sizes for everyone. Re-fuckin-spect!

Anyway, they've released one demo, or EP as I call it. They did a great work with the demo/EP. Looks good, sounds good. The bands genre? HeavyRock / RetroRock / Doom Rock.

fEU8t7y4XGk

Let's have festival talk! Anyone traveling somewhere to attend one?

This summer i'm at least going to Tuska and Jalometalli, both in Finland. They're shaping up to me quite nice, but in the end i think Jalometalli will prevail, since they've pretty much always had a better line up in the past. At first i wasn't sure about Tuska, but now that they have Morbid Angel, Shining, Electric Wizard, Grave, Bulldozer, Moonsorrow and At the Gates, i kinda have to go :D. This year they won't allow you to bring your own alcohol, so better chug down all the liquor... At the gates. Tehehe

I'm still considering a visit to Estonia's Hard rock lager so i could finally see Rotting Christ live, but i don't think my finances will allow it. If it was held in Tallinn, it would be much easier and cheaper for me.

I'm planing going tuska as well but I was ther last summer whit my ex-girlfriend ,

but what I watched all bands that coming tuska this year I was excited to go but only Saturday this time.

Saturday is the least interesting day for me. Don't give a shit about the biggest names of the day like Katatonia, Devin Townsend (Five times in a year? Jesus Christ man, leave us alone!) and Epica. Granted, Devin's first show was awesome last year, though i don't think there's going to be any gimmicks this time, except that he's playing Ghost and Reconsomething. Still sad to have the same headliner two years in a row.

I'm 100% sure that either Immortal or Watain is still coming, since they have a hole in their calenders just around this event and the weird absence of Black metal in the festival's lineup. Immortal has been in Tuska like...Three times ? But i haven't seen them even once, so I'm rooting for that. Watain was beyond awesome live, but I'll take the one i haven't seen instead, though i don't mind both.

Epica is mah , CHURCH OF MISERY , WITCHERY and GHOST are my mast see list.

I'm seen Townsend and Katatonia before that so not give so exsaited abaut them

I'm in America (and school) so no festivals for me. Also, this thread needs more Moonsorrow. Just sayin'. I stopped putting off listening to them today and gave their latest album 'Varjoina kuljemme kuolleiden maassa' and so far it's been really great.

I don't hit up many festivals around my area because they are pants. Even Heavy MTL and Heavy TO are shit, mainly because they are pretty well publicized and feature bands who are complete and utter shit, even though some range from tolerable - good.

Seriously, Ontario and Quebec need to smarten up with their metal festivals and shit, who the fuck invites Billy Talent and Melissa Auf Der Maur to a "metal" festival? C'moooooon.

I went to Inferno last weekend. Four days of music, beer and fuckin' around. loved it! 4 days, 45-50 bands and so on.

Amazing concerts: Alcest. Pentagram, Aura Noir, Immortal

Great concerts: Dødheimsgard

Decent stuff that I did watch some of, but not all: Exhumed, Napalm Death.

Shity stuff that I saw some of of or whole: Atheist (whole), Illdisposed, Akercocke (cool satanist nerd, but other than that, triggers and shit)

Decent, but this years huge disappointment: Urgehal

Sad that I missed out on: Nidingr, Ava Inferi, Today is the Day.

Fuck yeah!

Very satisfied and happy about the whole four days.

Thinking about Hole In The Sky, since it is one of the most legendary festivals in the world, and it is their last one ever. Sad, but true. Never been there, so I am thinking about it.

So far they've announced the following bands:

Immortal

Satyricon

Enslaved

Mayhem

Archgoat

Ghost

Marduk

Negative Plane

Godflesh

Virus

Saint Vitus

Devil

One Tail, One Head

Black Witchery

What a SICK line up this far!

And an interesting thing is that Immorta, Mayhem, Satyricon and Enslaved will play together, and on the poster where they are announced they've used the old logos, which can mean somthing close to this; the bands will only play old material, and do something special this one time. Interesting to see if this is how it really is, or what it actually means.

But fucking god, Negative Plane? Godflesh? Black Witchery? Man, that's fucking CRAZY! It will be expensive to travel all the way to Bergen, Norway, but I think it will be worth it and more.

Also, this thread needs more Moonsorrow. Just sayin'. I stopped putting off listening to them today and gave their latest album 'Varjoina kuljemme kuolleiden maassa' and so far it's been really great.

I think they were mentioned on the folk metal thread. Either way, I liked the album too. :P

As for festivals, the only one I'm considering is Heidenfest 2011 because one of the extended shows is nearby. I'd mainly go for Turisas, Arkona and Wintersun. Alestorm being there kinda annoys me, not because I mind them, but because they just come to damn often! :butwry: I'd give my firstborn to exchange them for Týr, for example.